Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When should I switch to lethality?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
When should I switch to lethality?

Malkavier
11.24.2012 , 07:55 AM | #11
In PvP there are two pretty big downsides to consider between MM and Lethality trees:

MM: Every Sith Warrior (and their Pub mirrors), will debuff your Accuracy repeatedly. This will hurt your DPS to no end, as the debuffs stack.

Lethality: Your enemy is each and every healspec AC in the game. All of your debuffs can get instantly cleansed. Even Commandos (worst AC for PvP in the entire game) will make you rageface at one point or another.

This being said, there are neither of those two major downsides to Engineering as far as that goes, and Engineering can even bring you loads of laughs, when those enemies think to LoS you around the corner and you make your probe explode (yes, it really is that funny).
L50 Annhi Marauder L50 Madness Sorc L17 Gunslinger L23 Pyro Tech L35 Medic OP L17 Marks Sniper L50 Lethality Sniper

"Your fear angers me. My anger feeds my hate. My hate gives me strength."

Theotron
12.03.2012 , 01:37 AM | #12
My personal advice for levelling is Engineering or an MM/Eng build. But mainly engineering.

When you think of those packs of weaks/normals with a single strong, it works a charm; pop down a grenade and plasma probe and then single target DPS the strongest enemy.

Also, the survivability and utility talents in the tree are excellent. I would still play Eng in 50 HM ops if it was viable with my gear setup and could, in general, scale against Leth.

NB: None of this is relevant for PvP. I did very little PvP levelling.
The Falensar Legacy
Order of Midnight - Tomb of Freedon Nadd EU
Einama, Lethality Sniper; Aldelar, Bodyguard Mercenary
Pinacia, Immortal Juggernaut; Lundalle, Kinetic Combat Shadow

paowee
12.10.2012 , 04:00 PM | #13
Levelling as Marksmanship is fun if you like one-shotting mobs. Definitely faster way of going through quest mobs and what not. As soon as you are able to get enough points though, Engineering might be worth a shot. It's AoE DPS is great with Plasma Probe and you'll find you kill groups of mobs easily. For example:

1) Frag Grenade (talented for reduced cooldown)
2) Lay Plasma Probe on the ground
3) Frag Grenade
4) Finish mobs off

I definitely had fun leveling as Engineering back in the day!
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

NoTomorrow
12.10.2012 , 05:35 PM | #14
One thing that left me thinking though: i leveled one year ago my sniper, MM.
And i remember the leveling being pretty damn borring without series of shots. Cull sometimes reminds me of it Some sort of poor man's series of shots before you hit lvl 36
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Tibbel
12.10.2012 , 05:37 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
One thing that left me thinking though: i leveled one year ago my sniper, MM.
And i remember the leveling being pretty damn borring without series of shots. Cull sometimes reminds me of it Some sort of poor man's series of shots before you hit lvl 36
It used to look and sound so much cooler.

NoTomorrow
12.11.2012 , 12:28 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tibbel View Post
It used to look and sound so much cooler.
yes, it was a sad day when they changed it
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.