Finding a guild, is it still possible for people returning after long breaks?

Rthen

I returned to the game after only playing for a month and getting my Jedi Shadow to level 28, at the time the level of broken-ness of this particular class annoyed me enough to quit. I was away from the game since 2 or 3 months after release. Been back for almost 5 weeks. I decided to start playing since I got tired of WoW and Never winter was underwhelming.

Started a few new characters on the Empire side.. currently have a level 41 Sniper and a level 17 Sorc. So far the single player mode of this game is great.

At this rate I'll be 55 on both likely at around new years. Been wondering a lot if there really was an active end game and group game here though. I have grouped for flashpoints and its been reasonably decent though waiting up to 60 minutes for a group in the queue is annoying and the lack of possible group content options is annoying.

My efforts to find an active guild have been challenging. So I guess my question:

Currently in this game is it best to level multiple characters to 55, get the best gear you can get, and then look for a guild?

Will finding a guild this "late in the game" likely be difficult enough not to be worth the hassle?

Thanks!

There are plenty of guilds still that you could join. Dunno which server you are on but there are server forums here for all servers with guild recruitment sub servers. Just find out if they are ok with social players or low level, but that's definitely still out there. I would think most guilds are more casual as it is. There are hardcore or ops oriented guilds and even there you may find some options.

Important is that you figure out first what your plans are. Do you just want to play casually, do you want to get into endgame once you are level 55 etc. Once you know that it'll be easier to figure out what type of guild would be better for you.

Currently in this game is it best to level multiple characters to 55, get the best gear you can get, and then look for a guild?

Will finding a guild this "late in the game" likely be difficult enough not to be worth the hassle?

There are always guilds recruiting by spamming local chat on the Fleet. There are server forums and some guilds recruit there. The best way, in my opinion, is doing dailies and flashpoints. You will meet people and majority of them will be in a guild. If you play good and don't act as an idiot, chances are you'll be asked about joining.

What I suggest you do is first decide what you are really looking for in a guild. Raiding, pvping, just casual and having fun, RP, leveling guild etc.

Then I would ask around the server or keep your eyes open for guilds who seem to be known on the server and try and talk to some of them. You don't need to join their guild but maybe just talk to them and let them know what you are interested in and maybe they may have friends or know of guilds to meet your needs. Usually the top guilds of the servers tend to know about many of the guilds on the server.

You can try the Guild Recruitment page too. Not sure how good it is here, but at least you can learn about guilds and maybe send them tells in game and get more info etc.

Finding a good guild depends on your tolerance for drama. Every guild has drama. Some have more than others.

Yep.

Sometimes they even bring a slice of drama to the forums to share with us too. :p

@Rthen I would say the three biggest factors are:

1) style of guild you are looking for. Raid, casual, PvP, small, large, etc If you don't know what you are looking for, you are less likely to find it.

2) stability/longevity of the guild. While even well established guilds can break up and disband, generally well established guilds are stable and well managed.

3) As branmakmuffin stated.... what is your tolerance level for drama. Because there is always drama. But some guilds have very little, and others seem to consume and thrive on it.

Once you know what you want... check the server sub-forums and ask around in game (not by spamming general chat). While these days I guild with people I have known and played with across multiple MMOs, I have found that simply grouping and playing with some guilded players can be productive. It can lead to follow-up grouping, getting to know each other, and the guilds style. It can also get you an introduction and invitation.

I know some people have actually created some guild finding tools as well where you can take a quiz and give you some options. Also, check the server forums recruitment subsection, and look at TORWARS wall of guilds. Lastly, just get into groups. A few people in my guild came from randomly pugging them.

There's nothing about being "late in the game" that makes guilds hard to find...might actually be easier because everyone isn't loaded up like at launch.

Edited by chuixupu

Another tip

Your behavior in general chat may be taken into account as well. Yes some guilds spam general chat for recruitment but some guilds watch general chat especially those that state they are looking for a guild.

I know we do and if your behavior tends to create problems or looking to start some drama we add you to a list that we will not recruit.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Bah...not all guilds are filled with drama. Find one that isn't. Drama infested guilds are to be avoided like the plague...unless that's what you're looking for...then there are plenty to choose from.

No one said all guilds are filled with drama. All multi-player guilds have some drama, because all multi-player guilds have people in them

No one said all guilds are filled with drama. All multi-player guilds have some drama, because all multi-player guilds have people in them

Ah...so what you're saying is that, every guild that anyone would join, has drama? How is that any different than "all guilds"?

Yeah, pretty much. Especially since the people in question are MMO players. :D

I've been in some really excellent and well run guilds over the years.... and there was still drama... mostly over loot drops or over something in PvP.

Edited by Andryah

Bah...not all guilds are filled with drama. Find one that isn't. Drama infested guilds are to be avoided like the plague...unless that's what you're looking for...then there are plenty to choose from.

^ Truth.

OP, here's a link to the guild survey someone mentioned ---> Clicky

The thread for it is stickied on the Community forum main page.

I am a solidly middle aged gen x gamer. So I have been in a ton of guilds and played a ton of games of the last 14 years. I haven't been in a raiding guild however for approximately 2 years, back when I left EQ2 that phase of my life ended it seems.

SWTOR, in my opinion, is more of a MMO lite then many of the other games I have played and that is not actually a bad thing.

My post was to determine the state of guilds in general and what the game culture dictated in regards to finding a guild. EQ2 is an old game, for example, and the game culture in regards to guilds and raiding is that if your not in a guild or know someone who knows someone your not going to be raiding. In EQ2 and even WoW.. if you don't parse properly your not getting a "nod" to get to know anyone and thus you won't be getting a guild invite.

Looking at all the responses here I have to say: "Thanks!" great info. I think I'm going to likely wait until at least one of my 2 active characters are 55 and then do a search. I won't be ready for hard mode stuff and raids for at least a few months. I am flexible about moving servers if needed.

My post was to determine the state of guilds in general and what the game culture dictated in regards to finding a guild. EQ2 is an old game, for example, and the game culture in regards to guilds and raiding is that if your not in a guild or know someone who knows someone your not going to be raiding. In EQ2 and even WoW.. if you don't parse properly your not getting a "nod" to get to know anyone and thus you won't be getting a guild invite.

This is true indeed. I am still raiding in WoW but not sure if you have been over their lately but in my experience overall, you really don't have to be in a guild much anymore to raid. WoW has LFR which you just queue and raid an easy mode version of the raid or now they have Flex raiding which using a certain addon, you can find a run very easily. Flex raid is tougher than LFR but easier than normal mode.

Also depends on the game. If you want to do harder content and push for those server firsts etc. you will need a guild. But that old sense of needing the "nod" is starting to diminish except for the hard core. I am not hard core anymore but still do heroic raiding so something like that I would need the nod but another thing to remember now as well is that a lot of these guilds allow social/friends to join and they are able to participate in alt runs or their own flex raiding. So just because you don't do hard core raiding, lots of guilds do more casual fun runs for all in the guild.

As others have said, its best to check your server forum thread then guild recruitment thread in that forum. There you can read about guilds, their gamestyle ie PvP, PvE, casual, hardcore raiding and find one that suits your game style and needs.

There are plenty of guilds out there that are very new player and returning player friendly and more than happy to help get you up to speed. For most it does not matter if a player is level 1 or 55, subbed or free to play, 1st day vet or new player or returning player so I am sure after reading your server forum thread you will find a good home in Tor