[Help] [Really bad stuttering

crazybrandonian

Not sure what's causing it or how to fix it.

PC specs are

I5 4690k / OC'd to 4.0ghz

GTX 1070

16GIG DDR3 Ram

SSD

Windows 10

Nvidia Driver Version: 376.19

Basically just stutters none stop when moving or turning the camera, I'm running it in Ultra settings, I did try dropping it to the lowest settings possible but that made no difference at all. It's more or less unplayable.

Try different drivers.

The latest driver won't be the best driver.

I always save my driver downloads. If one doesn't perform well after a game update or driver update ill try an older driver. Then make a note to ensure it doesn't automatically update at a later time.

Since the 5.0.1a update I have experienced some hitching at times. It's random and doesn't show up in my stream oddly enough. Usually on fleet around the crew skills area when joined is around.

ASUS Maximus Impact VI

i7 4770k

16 GB Kingston HyperX

EVGA GTX 780tiSC

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Samsung 850 Pro SSD (OS & SWTOR)

Nvidia Driver 376.33

Edited by Liquor

Not sure what's causing it or how to fix it.

PC specs are

I5 4690k / OC'd to 4.0ghz

GTX 1070

16GIG DDR3 Ram

SSD

Windows 10

Nvidia Driver Version: 376.19

Basically just stutters none stop when moving or turning the camera, I'm running it in Ultra settings, I did try dropping it to the lowest settings possible but that made no difference at all. It's more or less unplayable.

Try setting the CPU back to factory clock, the 5.0 changes might be overheating your system some. I've noticed fan noise from my 212 evo kick in as soon as I've logged in with my FX-9370 clocked to 5ghz.

Is it happening everywhere? Or someplace(s) in particular? If so...it's something like:

if it's on fleet: turn down number of player characters

if it's on Odessen: lower tree quality

if it's on Voss and Belsavis (maybe Quesh too, haven't been there in forever): lower grass quality

Did you run 5.0 fine for a bit then it started happening? Or has 5.0 run poorly since you first updated for it?

Switching from Fullscreen to Windowed (Fullscreen) worked for me. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, it didn't even cross my mind once to try it out, so again, thanks a lot.

You are welcome and Im glad a solution was found. I have no idea why it works that way. One would think it should be best on fullscreen but this game allocates things in odd ways.

Edited by HelinCarnate

You are welcome and Im glad a solution was found. I have no idea why it works that way. One would think it should be best on fullscreen but this game allocates things in odd ways.

Yeah... I have always found full screen to be flaky in this MMO. So I have always run in windowed full screen and with frames locked at 60. Never had any performance issue with this approach, even with the new client which has now made it such that I never see anything below 59 fps. Nice to see the client sitting rock solid on frame rates now. The new client is much better in my view.

Edited by Andryah

Yeah... I have always found full screen to be flaky in this MMO. So I have always run in windowed full screen and with frames locked at 60. Never had any performance issue with this approach, even with the new client which has now made it such that I never see anything below 59 fps. Nice to see the client sitting rock solid on frame rates now. The new client is much better in my view.

You can force a higher rate rate cap in Fullscreen (Windowed) by over clocking the display refresh rate in Nvidia control panel.

I use a qnix 27" 2560x1440 monitor which I overlooked to 110Hz. now 110 refresh rate is an option in game.

Sorry, but going back to old drivers are not a solution, more like a hotfix, and a hotfix that can cause problems with other software to boot.

Also going to different driver is not a hotfix. The latest drivers are not optimized for SWTOR whereas older drivers could be. Spend some time checking them out and noting any performance gains or loss. You'll be surprised what works best for your setup. Nvidia & AMD are not patching drivers for a 2011 game. Only a fool would claim the latest drivers are the best driver for SWTOR.

Edited by Liquor

I see what others are suggesting and I think one idea may have been missed. (Sorry if someone already suggested this)

Before anything try running a repair on the game files before you go to bed for the night.

I takes a long time (many hours in some cases) for the file repair to work so I suggest doing that overnight.

Also get yourself a temp program and check the temps. I use CPUiID HWmonitor.

Monitor Your videocard and other components. This could be overheating issue which would also cause stutter. If your temps are high you need to clean out whatever is running hot with compressed air. Your videocard or cpu getting all gummed up is another possible cause.

Try turning down the resolution a little and see if that helps. I have not read the whole thread but I'm sure others have suggested reinstalling or replacing your videocard drivers. Also try re downloading Dirext X and see if that helps.

I have seen some issues with the Direct X not working properly causing things like the problems you maybe having.

Also could not hurt to run a Direct X test (Open the command box and type in dxdiag) then run the system check on that.

There are so many different things that could be the cause of your issue. If you cannot get it working after reading this forums thread I suggest sending in a ticket or calling Swtor support and see if they can't get your game up and running again.

Also if you cannot get the issue fixed, re post on the forums about it.

There are a ton of tech savvy people here. I'd hope we can get this issue worked out.

I've actually fixed this now, was digging around Google and a thread I found said to set Pre-Rendered Frames to 1 on the Nvidia Control Panel and it's now completely fixed - 60+ fps in ultra now with no stuttering :) thanks for the replies and help though.

To anyone with the same problem or similar and using an Nvidia GFX card go to Start Menu -> type in Control -> it should display Nvidia Control Panel, click that, go to 3D Settings, select SWTOR and go down to pre-rendered frames and set it to 1.

Edited by crazybrandonian

^^Hey that's awesome. I'm not having the stuttering issue but I might try that and see if it runs any better.

Y You'll be surprised what works best for your setup. Nvidia & AMD are not patching drivers for a 2011 game. Only a fool would claim the latest drivers are the best driver for SWTOR.

Sorry, but that's crazy talk.

Even if it was true that NVIDIA ignored SWTOR (it's not), SWTOR does not ignore NVIDIA. Which is to say, Bioware is patching the game all the time. I mean do you really think a big update like 5.0 was made for 2012 drivers?

Edited by lobstah_rofls