The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

I was stood around on fleet last night with my guardian tank waiting for a call for a tank in ops. There were none so I decided to fill the time with a HM fp.

Korriban pops with a sage healer, slinger dps and vang dps. A nice easy run, I mean who could ever fail korriban incursion?

During trash it is apparent the vang dps is a ranged class and that the slinger is specced in sabotage. I know this because I see a shock charge, however I never see any sabotage charges and no incendiary grenades. It seems their rotation is:

Shock charge the strongest enemy in the pull, spam sweeping gunfire until fight is over. Still I suppose that's a viable (though stupid) way of dealing with trash pulls that have more than 1 enemy (I know from running heroics with my sabo slinger that the increased aoe damage debuff enemies get from incendiary grenade makes things melt under a sweeping gunfire). Perhaps things will change at the boss.

get to the first boss and the slingers rotation is similar, but without the shock-charge. Just sweeping gunfire spam, with of course basic attack spammed once out of energy. The vanguard has decided he is not doing much damage as a ranged class, so moves into melee. The boss proceeds to do his aoe thing causing the vanguard to run back to ranged and stay there. Needless to say the fight takes a while.

We go up the lift and the 2 dps die to the spread out pull. I finish them off (saber reflect works well there). Get to the second boss and hit enrage (I didn't know it had one). We try again and enrage again. I start asking the vanguard if he can close into melee inbetween the aoe phases to get some extra damage out, and ask the slinger if he knows his rotation. I get mixed replies:

vang: "I will try, I don't want to take unnecessary damage"

slinger: "lol how about you start tanking properly"

I was going to assure the vang that all he has to do to minimise his damage is avoid floor stuff, all other damage in the fight is unavoidable and therefore not his fault. However I instead decide to speak to the slinger first to see if I can learn something about tanking (not really, I want to hear how he is going to try and shift blame, I could do with a laugh).

me: "what am I doing wrong?"

slinger: "you keep loosing aggro"

me: "when?"

slinger: "the boss hits everybody with lasers"

me: "have you done this fight before"

slinger: "I have done it in every role with every class"

healer: "you know about the yellow circles too then? because you were sat in them"

slinger: "I need to stay still so I don't interrupt my channel"

me: "sabo only has 1 or 2 casts in its rotation" (I am thinking of the 3 second channel and charged bursts as filler, if necessary)

slinger: "lol what would you know about dpsing you cant even tank"

The healer vote kicks the slinger and it goes through, we get a replacement commando and complete. The healer entertains us throughout by repeating to us the abuse the slinger is whispering to them.

After all this time people still don't know that the laser is a random target attack?

Eh, that actually doesn't seem like a problem to me (remember, there are a lot of new players here, and there aren't many flashpoint guides out there). What does seem like a problem is the guy claiming he knows what he's doing when he clearly doesn't. Lack of knowledge is fixable, lying and unreasonable arrogance not so much.

I just ragequit Legacy of the Rakata due to a Shadow "tank". Specced tank, using Force Technique, mute in chat (I would understand f2p, but at least pay attention to the people who ask you to change Technique; if you don't speak English, that's not really my fault, speak up in your native language so at least I know you're trying, Google Translate does mangled wonders), running ahead and engaging alone, pulling silvers to fight them all by themselves. When I had enough of the nonsense and respecced to tank to try and make the second boss a little easier, they proceeded to Force Wave all over my tightly gathered adds.

At level 50.

The Scoundrel DPS that insisted on being ranged and then said "the mark of a good leader is one who can make things work despite adversities" when I apologized and left (with a bit of a rage-y tantrum, I admit) didn't help, either.

I just wanted a nice GUARDIAN SMASHY FP and my crystals. :(

Edited by KhirsahRoshah

Eh, that actually doesn't seem like a problem to me (remember, there are a lot of new players here, and there aren't many flashpoint guides out there). What does seem like a problem is the guy claiming he knows what he's doing when he clearly doesn't. Lack of knowledge is fixable, lying and unreasonable arrogance not so much.

You are right. Using this as an excuse or to avoid blame is weak. More so after he/she claimed the knowledge of the fight. Clear sign of lying. Bottom line is those who are not new to the game probably knows this mechanic(or should know).

You are right. Using this as an excuse or to avoid blame is weak. More so after he/she claimed the knowledge of the fight. Clear sign of lying. Bottom line is those who are not new to the game probably knows this mechanic(or should know).

You're kidding, right? I've played this game for almost three years, and I've done group Korriban exactly zero times. Group FP mechanics (tac or old-school story or HM, doesn't matter) aren't the same as the mechanics for the same solo FP. (Case in point, the walker boss in the SoR one, with the instadeath electroshock thing. In solo mode, this mechanic doesn't exist.)

No I am not kidding. Since this is a thread related to GROUP FINDER I am not kidding.

Ah, so when you said "not new to the game" you actually meant to say "not new to doing group activities in the game". Thanks for clarifying that. (And in particular, not new to doing group FPs in GF. There's plenty of scope for using GF and never ending up in the Korriban FP.)

After all this time people still don't know that the laser is a random target attack?

Its not that uncommon. I still get told off for not tanking the dogs on the first boss of mando or the healer typing "TAUNT YOU NOOB" when the guy with the staff in first boss rakata is hitting them.

It comes from people not knowing the fights and having an attitude of:

- Its the tanks job to hold aggro

- the tank is not holding aggro on these enemies

- the tank must be rubbish

Ah, so when you said "not new to the game" you actually meant to say "not new to doing group activities in the game". Thanks for clarifying that. (And in particular, not new to doing group FPs in GF. There's plenty of scope for using GF and never ending up in the Korriban FP.)

Ok I end this, I'm too tired for this. In general I take you as a normal forumer and don't have anything against you but now you're being a dick. So to end this I write it down, so you and everyone who reads this will know: The droid in Korriban Incursion, when grouped shoots his laser randomly and it is not related to aggro. Have a good day.

So was rolling with some guildies on Harbinger last night into a ToS group finder. When we're killing Malaphar, a guildie notices that one of the pugged dps is in the armor piercing cell and is casting successive treatment and auto-attacking. Upon closer inspection just before SS, we notice that he's in demolisher gear (which pretty much tells us that he's in the wrong gear, wrong spec, and doing the wrong role, not even close to his proper rotation). We would've given him some slack for being a new guy if he wasn't so adamant that he knew what he was doing.

Guildie whispers him to see what's going on, and he proceeds to hit on her, gradually getting creepier as we progress through the op. She even discovers he's a furry by the end (she played a cathar.)

Hardly had any wipes due to us carrying, but still. This was a special someone.

Edited by DarthThuzad

So was rolling with some guildies on Harbinger last night into a ToS group finder. When we're killing Malaphar, a guildie notices that one of the pugged dps is in the armor piercing cell and is casting successive treatment and auto-attacking. Upon closer inspection just before SS, we notice that he's in demolisher gear (which pretty much tells us that he's in the wrong gear, wrong spec, and doing the wrong role, not even close to his proper rotation). We would've given him some slack for being a new guy if he wasn't so adamant that he knew what he was doing.

Guildie whispers him to see what's going on, and he proceeds to hit on her, gradually getting creepier as we progress through the op. She even discovers he's a furry by the end (she played a cathar.)

Hardly had any wipes due to us carrying, but still. This was a special someone.

Yeah, so about that... the entire conversation was more or less captured in screenshots. All character names have been edited to protect all parties concerned and no one has been named.

All this to be said, is quite cringeworthy and I've offered to post this on behalf of my friend... she doesn't want her name immediately attached to this for her privacy.

http://imgur.com/ykocQz3

^ Totally understandable that.

So, had an HM Rakata FP on my DPS sage. Had a 65 guardian tank that had half tanking gear, so I assumed he was just gearing up cause at least a few things were 216 purples (Tanking thankfully), while others were green/blue variety of DPS/tank mix.

Scoundrel healer phases in, sees its Rakata and immediately says he hates this FP and drops group with an apology. Bonus points to that guy and not really the point of the story. At least he said sorry. The commando DPS leaves without a word. That was rude.

I break out Senya at 30 influence and put her to heals, I had to ask the Guardian to break out his highest influence comp into DPS. He gets T7, and we're off. We do okay. I don't ask for a guard, so I'm ripping agro all the time, but the tank taunts, so whatevers.

Eventually, we get a guardian DPS and a sage healer. The guardian DPS was gearing up too cause he was in blues mostly.

The sage healer I had actually done a tactical FP with a day or so ago. The most annoying thing about him was that he kept using Force Wave on the mobs, scattering them and making things more difficult than it had to be. Eventually, this guy DC's and we kick.

The commando healer that comes in was 216/220 with no set bonus. All comms stuff.

First boss, the healer doesn't cleanse, runs away from the Rakata chief, forcing the guardian to chase, and of course, the guy doesn't really heal effectively while moving. He doesn't know about the cleanse, so eventually the guardian DPS gets rooted and dies. I keep self cleansing the root, and eventually do the healers job, which drops MY DPS, and because the idiot keeps moving around while we're slowly dying to the AOE, we eventually die with the chief still very much healthy. It was made worse by the tank leaping at the Rakata chief who always closes in for melee, so I end up getting cleaved all the time.

I ask if people know the fight (Should've asked to start). Tank and heals say yes and I don't bother looking at their achievements if they're lying or not. The Guardian DPS admits no, so I take the opportunity to explain the fight. Tank keeps rancor, healer cleanse root, DPS kills chief. Simple stuff.

Healer screws up cleanses, and eventually, guardian DPS dies. I go full out on the chief, not even bothering to cleanse the guardian this time. Just myself. Healer still runs around, reducing EHPS, so eventually, we still die.

Guardian makes a stupid suggestion about helping DPS the chief, as if his crap gear could make a difference rather than cleaving us. Healer makes the same stupid suggestion about DPSing.

I reply, without snark IMO, that if he's having a hard time cleansing and healing, it's not likely it'll get better with us dying just because his DPS would make things go smoother. <---- Almost word for word.

I remind the tank that the boss cleaves us and we can only take so much damage.

Healer remarks that he understands why the other healer left, cause I was being *****y. Guess some people can't take the fact that they suck. He drops, the tanks stupidly pulls the boss without a healer, but the other DPS and I were outside. So he dies, drops and the whole thing falls apart.

Just another Sunday.

Foundry TFP. Easy and quick run? Nope.

I was on my lvl65 Sorc. High-ish level operative (combat rez + roll) + two ~30-40 Juggs and one of them was a bit arrogant (I guess they call them "noobs").

One of the juggs wanted to kill everything, didn't heal up between pulls... typical story. He started to heal up at one point after we asked him to. First boss both Juggs die and op and my sorc destroy the droid. Not a big issue. We get to HK and both juggs die again as soon as chamber drops. I start to destroy the panels on sides and I see in the chat "don't be stupid" from arrogant jugg. We die and run back. Chamber drops but juggs are on adds and leave me to click the panels again. Chamber raises and HK starts to one-shot everyone. I explain why you click the panels in this fight but arrogant jugg replies with: "noob". We get through HK and bonus but this jugg keeps rushing to groups of enemies because "I need XP" and dies multiple time because of that.

Before the Revan fight one of the others asks if jugg has any 65s and of course he answers with "many". Somewhat hard to believe...

Edited by Halinalle

Note: You guys need to stop assigning yourself/people in general to kolto stations.

If a person needs a heal, they should click the kolto themselves, period. You get a huge heal for YOU AND ONLY YOU on top of the group HOT, which is much, much more significant than the HOT. Please stop training random pickups to do anything like this - it's asinine, and it has gotten me killed a few times due to someone in front of me standing by a kolto, and clicking it before I can, resulting in me getting killed because the HOT isn't enough and I usually have aggro on my DPS if there's no tank.

Edited by E-Zekiel

Note: You guys need to stop assigning yourself/people in general to kolto stations.

If a person needs a heal, they should click the kolto themselves, period. You get a huge heal for YOU AND ONLY YOU on top of the group HOT, which is much, much more significant than the HOT. Please stop training random pickups to do anything like this - it's asinine, and it has gotten me killed a few times due to someone in front of me standing by a kolto, and clicking it before I can, resulting in me getting killed because the HOT isn't enough and I usually have aggro on my DPS if there's no tank.

Athiss. Beast. If you tank and run Kolto yourself.. Your team get stunned and knocked away. If someone else does while you tank it in the stairway, everyone can maximize their uptime except the "tank".

Cademimu. Last boss. If you get to the Kolto with the boss on you and without a physic immunity up, you risk being punted in the fire. Other should heal you while you keep aggro.

Just two boss where other should press Kolto... Not the pseudo tank.

Athiss. Beast. If you tank and run Kolto yourself.. Your team get stunned and knocked away. If someone else does while you tank it in the stairway, everyone can maximize their uptime except the "tank".

Cademimu. Last boss. If you get to the Kolto with the boss on you and without a physic immunity up, you risk being punted in the fire. Other should heal you while you keep aggro.

Just two boss where other should press Kolto... Not the pseudo tank.

Neither one does much damage. Even dps shadow can tank Ortol in tactical.

In that vein...I want to kindly ask that to everyone traumatized by their 4-dps or tank/dps/no heals teams that can't survive without kolto stations...when you get an actual healer in a group, leave the kolto stations alone unless you are standing right on top of them! You're wasting valuable dps time by running back and forth to the kolto unnecessarily. If the healer is utterly hopeless or is simply lacking most crucial healing abilities, then you might think about kolto. However, give the healer a chance still, and focus on your own job.

This happens a lot, but the most frustrating was a Directive 7 run where we were on the droid boss with the two astromechs that spawn and attempt to repair the machinery on the big droid's side. I told everyone to get the droids when they spawned, and leave the healing to me. They ignored the droids (I constantly had to kill both of them), and instead they wasted time running back and forth to the kolto stations, even when they didn't need it. I ended up heal/tanking the whole fight AND taking out adds. I also had to remind one of them to kill the spawned mirrors of ourselves during the other big droid fight and stop hitting the boss that wasn't taking damage. Took two rotations before they finally listened.

Just imagine how useful it was to explain the final boss fight to these people...I won't horrify you with all those details, but again, two of them would take a tiny bit of damage, not wait for me to top them up, and run CLEAR ACROSS THE ROOM to hit the koltos. I told them several times in chat (here and throughout the flashpoint) to stop running to the stations!

On the bright side, I have so much practice heal/tanking these tacticals that it prepared me for heal/tanking a HM FP the other night when the tank was obviously new (not a baddie, just new).

Mmm you have probably partied with me some times (I have killed people this way), but no - this is actually horrible suggestion:) Yes you get an instant heal, but no - it is not significant heal. It is maybe 2 hot ticks or maybe 3 (if it is % of your hp based) but no more than that. Mind you that if you are dying that heal can and probably will save you, but keep in mind that not all classes have speed boost. Or party with people that might have abilties that give speed that will give you speed when you need (for whatever reason).

And last, but certainly not least - if people click often (or at least the ranged dps keep them in mind) there is no reason for you to get below 50% health (when the instant heal actually matters) unless you are getting too much damage...and in that case I'd argue that you have bigger problems to worry about:)

Edit: Forgot -fat bosses (enough said:D).

In that vein...I want to kindly ask that to everyone traumatized by their 4-dps or tank/dps/no heals teams that can't survive without kolto stations...when you get an actual healer in a group, leave the kolto stations alone unless you are standing right on top of them! You're wasting valuable dps time by running back and forth to the kolto unnecessarily. If the healer is utterly hopeless or is simply lacking most crucial healing abilities, then you might think about kolto. However, give the healer a chance still, and focus on your own job.

This happens a lot, but the most frustrating was a Directive 7 run where we were on the droid boss with the two astromechs that spawn and attempt to repair the machinery on the big droid's side. I told everyone to get the droids when they spawned, and leave the healing to me. They ignored the droids (I constantly had to kill both of them), and instead they wasted time running back and forth to the kolto stations, even when they didn't need it. I ended up heal/tanking the whole fight AND taking out adds. I also had to remind one of them to kill the spawned mirrors of ourselves during the other big droid fight and stop hitting the boss that wasn't taking damage. Took two rotations before they finally listened.

Just imagine how useful it was to explain the final boss fight to these people...I won't horrify you with all those details, but again, two of them would take a tiny bit of damage, not wait for me to top them up, and run CLEAR ACROSS THE ROOM to hit the koltos. I told them several times in chat (here and throughout the flashpoint) to stop running to the stations!

On the bright side, I have so much practice heal/tanking these tacticals that it prepared me for heal/tanking a HM FP the other night when the tank was obviously new (not a baddie, just new).

Sorry for your bad experience, but I am afraid it was not because your party members decided to be good team players and use the kolto stations:)

...thinking about it: that is an example of what horrors E-Zekiel's suggestion could lead to isn't it...:)

yeah those kolto addicts are one of the reasons why I don't queue for tacticals anymore as a healer. Another is those people who as soon as someone disconnects or leaves for whatever reason pull out a healer companion and they're all like "it's ok, you can dps now :) " and they just don't understand that if I wanted to dps I would play a *********** dps character and not healer

Agreed heartily with this. The one time I don't mind other people clicking koltos to heal me is if they are actually a healer, because it's part of their job and they're maintaining group health. /nod

On Athiss - Tactical is easy enough that it's fine to let the boss get out of position to click a kolto yourself. You may have to go to first person to do it, though. But my point was, the RULE should be that if YOU need a heal, YOU click the kolto. There are of course, exceptions. Athiss giant akk dog boss might be one (I haven't had trouble with it myself, and I always end up tanking, even on my DPS), and another one I definitely make exception for is when there's an actual healer doing it.

Mmm you have probably partied with me some times (I have killed people this way), but no - this is actually horrible suggestion:) Yes you get an instant heal, but no - it is not significant heal. It is maybe 2 hot ticks or maybe 3

It is definitely % based and it is most definitely significant. Whenever I click kolto at half health, it always puts me to full or near full, with very few exceptions. It may vary from fight to fight, but the only exception I can think of off-hand is the Taral V bonus boss, where I only tend to get a 9-12k heal versus healing for half my health.

When I give these values (aka 9-12k and "half my healt"), this applies to all my characters, including my "main" three, all of which are tanks with just shy of 90k health. I do notice, however, that in fights where I get half my health back from clicking a station, I do not get a number that pops up over my head (other than the HOT), displaying how much it healed me for. Whereas in the one fight I did mention in Taral V, I do indeed see the number.

For clarity: On those big ones, what happens is: I get around half my health back instantly, regardless of my health value, without a number popping up. I also get the HOT, and HOT values do pop up. On the Taral V fight I mentioned, values pop up for both. Maybe some fights (as the ones mentioned) , the koltos are not working as intended.

I feel like I have run into this on the end boss of Rakata, too, but I haven't run it enough times recently (I get Taral V a lot) to be sure.

Your mileage may vary, but even on that tactical bonus boss in Taral V, which is fairly difficult for an all-DPS group, that extra 9-12k health, even if unusually low, makes an enormous difference.

Do not take somebody else's chance at clicking a station.

Edited by E-Zekiel

Sorry for your bad experience, but I am afraid it was not because your party members decided to be good team players and use the kolto stations:)

There's a difference between a party that has no healer and being a good team member as far as running the kolto stations (and even then, spamming them or using them when you don't need them or any variation of using them without needing them is not being a good team member), and being in a party that HAS A HEALER and the dps and/or tank keep running off to the stations in the middle of a fight.

It would be like a basketball team that is in desperate need of 3-point shooting and great passing, goes out and gets Steph Curry, and then never lets him touch the ball.

Let the healer in your group do the healing and be in charge of the kolto stations. Even if the healer isn't very good, if they're running the kolto stations you STILL don't need to be the dps and/or tank running back and forth to the stations. The healer is already not contributing much dps, the last thing the group needs in a tactical is one more or even two players frantically and unnecessarily running to the stations and not dpsing (and consequently running to the forums complaining about how hard tacticals are)

Edited by aerockyul

I once got KICKED from a Blood Hunt run because I was on my sage and healing instead of using the Kolto stations. I was heal spec and had queued for healer and had "healer" icon on my name, but they got pissed and kicked me for wasting time healing them.

It is definitely % based and it is most definitely significant. Whenever I click kolto at half health, it always puts me to full or near full, with very few exceptions. It may vary from fight to fight, but the only exception I can think of off-hand is the Taral V bonus boss, where I only tend to get a 9-12k heal versus healing for half my health.

Hmm it is possible they have changed it for 4.1 I suppose...but as you are saying that they vary from FP to FP it will be difficult to see (impossible for me since I don't have the time to run multiple FPs right now)...

....the other possibility is someone is healing you just as you click:)....Mercs have instant heal regardless of the specc (that can be used on others...sorcerer have too but it is self only and I have no idea about operatives)....

If it truly gives you 30-40k heals than that changes things, but if not...well...you are creating the need to heal for so much yourself:)

...and even with 40k heal ''Fat bosses'' are still good reason for someone else to use kolto stations:D

There's a difference between a party that has no healer and being a good team member as far as running the kolto stations (and even then, spamming them or using them when you don't need them or any variation of using them without needing them is not being a good team member), and being in a party that HAS A HEALER and the dps and/or tank keep running off to the stations in the middle of a fight.

It would be like a basketball team that is in desperate need of 3-point shooting and great passing, goes out and gets Steph Curry, and then never lets him touch the ball.

Let the healer in your group do the healing and be in charge of the kolto stations. Even if the healer isn't very good, if they're running the kolto stations you STILL don't need to be the dps and/or tank running back and forth to the stations. The healer is already not contributing much dps, the last thing the group needs in a tactical is one more or even two players frantically and unnecessarily running to the stations and not dpsing (and consequently running to the forums complaining about how hard tacticals are)

Hmm while I agree with you that if there is a healer present you, as dps, ( a tank can do his/her job even from a distance so guess only DPS) should not go running to kolto stations (unless they are right next to them in which case they should help the healer)....I certainly don't agree with your insinuation that DPS should ''tunnel vision'' the particular mob.

If your party is running to click kolto's while they have healer (unless very bad...some don't heal at all) and refusing to liston to you when you explain why they shouldn't....you have bigger problems on your hands:)

Edited by Saelinne