Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

You know, to be honest, that's exactly what I've been expecting them to do after reading the State of the Game.

They didn't talk about NPC 'flirts' at all, they were talking about romances. I think the reason why people read it as NPC 'flirts' only (even though it wasn't ever stated that way) was because we have had NPC flirts in the past, but more fleshed out romances only with companions.

It could very well be very different with Makeb though. And even more so in the future. Making NPCs available for fleshed out romances would indeed be a (comparably) simple option to add more romance content later in the game (SGR or OGR) without having to recode old conversation trees or alter existing companions.

Those could be stand-alone romances, so to speak, and people who aren't interested in them could easily avoid them. You know, kinda like the romances with Cortez and Kelly in Mass Effect 3.

I'd think I'd like that.

I'd like if we'd get that and companion SGR on top of course, but I think, if I had to chose between nothing and non-companion SGR, the NPC option sounds rather good to me, granted it's a real option and not just a silly flirt.

I can't speak for all classes, but I know my SI (female) had a relationship in the storyline that lasted about as long as any of the companion romances...basically flirt, flirt, sex, done.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for all classes, but I know my SI (female) had a relationship in the storyline that lasted about as long as any of the companion romances...basically flirt, flirt, sex, done.

Which one was that? I played 1-50 on my Sorc a very long time ago and the only world [Flirt] I can remember that led to sexy times was that one on Nar Shadda that's part of the bonus series.

Which one was that? I played 1-50 on my Sorc a very long time ago and the only world [Flirt] I can remember that led to sexy times was that one on Nar Shadda that's part of the bonus series.

I forget his name, a sith on alderaan. I flirted. New scene, flirted again, got a sleep with option, got a great dialogue with Andy out of it. I then see him later as a Force Ghost (or some such) on Voss, in the storyline.

Now now, don't give Bioware any ideas. Keep saying stuff like "nothing or this" and all we'll end up with continued romances because Bioware thinks we're "ok" to "settle" with less than OGRs :p

Seriously though, I trust them as far as I can throw them.

The only problem I can see with same-sex-only continued romances is the age-old detractors whining that we're getting special treatment. "Oh my god! I can't believe that Bioware are giving the SGRA folks two options that we can't have! How am I supposed to enjoy my fifty bajillion other [Flirt] and fully fleshed out romances if they get something all to themselves! So not fair!"

But, but.... you know, without wanting to give them any ideas (:p), just think about it and how this game has progressed so far.

I think the whole "companion romance" thingy may be giving them huge headaches by now, because honestly, a lot of people are expecting more to come here, just like many people are expecting more class content to come. And that's not even talking about Chapter 4 yet, since Chapter 4 is story content and not necessarily class content.

As things stand now, we don't know when or if there will be a continuation of existing romances with companions, OGR wise.

It could indeed be easier for them to seperate the two. Like, giving your toon the option of breaking off with a companion and add OGR and SGR options (fleshed out ones) with NPCs in the future. I'd think they'd be easier to continue, easier to work on, since they're essentially seperate from the whole story and class content.

I don't know if that makes sense but I could see that as the way all romances could be handled like in the future. The old OGR companion ones may still be available, but new ones would be added in a different fashion.

I can't say I'm all against it, as much as I'd like to be, since this way I see more flexibility for the creators and that could mean more content than the one we might get with the current system. :D

I've not played the Mass Effects games, but from what my husband's told me, romances from previous games can be continued or broken off as the player wishes (and there is fallout). Having done some of the romances in this game, it would be nice if Chapter 4 (which is likely class story, as all the chapters are) would also address the romances of 1-3, especially in cases like Quinn.

If they aren't going to retroactively apply SGRA options for existing companions (I'm guessing that's part of the "it's SO hard" reason), then having them available in Chapter 4 would be nice - kind of like a "I wasn't really attracted to you before, but now that we've survived certain death/defeated the BBEG/raided the lost tomb of cheesecake and profiteroles, I think I'd like to take our relationship further...", though then you may have the problem of people yelling "herosexual", but let's be honest, how likely is it that the Imperial Drones are genuinely attracted to that many aliens?

Sounds reasonable, event though I'm still unwilling to give up hope yet they'll be doing something with old companions eventually. To have to level to 50 to be able to experience SGR forever sounds too half-assed to me. *crosses fingers*

The new expansion Rise of the Hutt Cartel will bring SGR romance/flirting options for the Makeb planet. ETA is said to be spring. Unfortunately no companion romances as of yet, but they may be coming at a later time.

Friendly reminder, guys, real life topics are not allowed on this board. Do yourself a favor, just ignore those trolls.

Thank you!.

If they aren't going to retroactively apply SGRA options for existing companions (I'm guessing that's part of the "it's SO hard" reason), then having them available in Chapter 4 would be nice - kind of like a "I wasn't really attracted to you before, but now that we've survived certain death/defeated the BBEG/raided the lost tomb of cheesecake and profiteroles, I think I'd like to take our relationship further..."

That's exactly what happened with some (I think) of the companions in Mass Effect 3, at least with Kaidan. I'd like that as well, most certainly so, just not sure this is the way they're planning on doing things.

I'm really curious about this "more details soon" stuff because it may give us indication where indeed we're headed with romances, if not all, then at least SGR romances.

Thank you!.
You're welcome! Edited by Lent_San

That's exactly what happened with some (I think) of the companions in Mass Effect 3, at least with Kaidan. I'd like that as well, most certainly so, just not sure this is the way they're planning on doing things.

I'm really curious about this "more details soon" stuff because it may give us indication where indeed we're headed with romances, if not all, then at least SGR romances.

I'd like to see more of the details as well, but unfortunately Mr. Hood isn't allowed to talk about this at the moment. I think I mentioned it earlier, but a follow-up column from him would be nice.

Those could be stand-alone romances, so to speak, and people who aren't interested in them could easily avoid them. You know, kinda like the romances with Cortez and Kelly in Mass Effect 3.

Steve Cortez and Samantha Traynor in ME3.

Kelly Chambers was in ME2. :)

That's a pretty gross simplification.

Take Mako as an example. The romance arc with her is part of her larger companion/character arc, which more or less spans the entire class story for the Bounty Hunter. That's just not at all comparable to a few flirts (and sex) with a character you'll never see after you've left that one planet.

Edited by JediMB

Yes, of course, Samantha! The tomboy one, not the tall one... *coughs*

... You see, I don't play the female romances that often. :o

I was totally set to play the romance with Sam on my second ME3 playthrough, but after finishing it the first time I could barely even muster up the willpower to go through the Extended Cut, much less play additional DLC or new playthroughs.

So I can't speak for the romance, but I still loved dorky Samantha. She may shower in her underwear, but she's still cool in my book. :p

I was totally set to play the romance with Sam on my second ME3 playthrough, but after finishing it the first time I could barely even muster up the willpower to go through the Extended Cut, much less play additional DLC or new playthroughs.

So I can't speak for the romance, but I still loved dorky Samantha. She may shower in her underwear, but she's still cool in my book. :p

I have played through the romance with Sam and it was wonderful! Highly recommend it :p

Take Mako as an example. The romance arc with her is part of her larger companion/character arc, which more or less spans the entire class story for the Bounty Hunter. That's just not at all comparable to a few flirts (and sex) with a character you'll never see after you've left that one planet.

Yeah, I agree.

That's why I believe this won't be everything we'll be seeing with Makeb or later.

I might be wrong of course, but I'm feeling quite hopeful they 'got' it this time.

"Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

If there was nothing more meaningful to come, why add this last bit?

He just said "more" not "more meaningful" I'm sure as they release new content they'll give you more SG NPC Flirts, but it seems they have no intention of even attempting what we have been asking for since before launch. Equality.

He just said "more" not "more meaningful" I'm sure as they release new content they'll give you more SG NPC Flirts, but it seems they have no intention of even attempting what we have been asking for since before launch. Equality.

Hm, I don't know. Well, of course neither of us knows yet. My assumption is though that should they add new romances to the game, on top of the existing ones, those will be SGR too. I'm just thinking they don't want to experience another backlash like the one they experienced when the game first started without it.

The IA story has a fairly long-standing relationship with a non-companion that I honestly like more than any of the actual companions. >.< The Smuggler, on the other hand is full of a lot of a lot of one-night stand stuff that is indeed very hollow.

Well, I know to some it doesn't mean much, but I do feel this part of the State of the Game is essential:

"Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!"

If there was nothing more meaningful to come, why add this last bit?

Yeah, but they've been saying "wait and see/more info" for a year now. I do hope these "more details" answer some of the basic questions that have been thrown around here.

Um, people, just a thought, do we really want to entertain trolls yet again in this thread?

I'd advise adding them to your "ignore" list...works like a charm and you don't have to keep reading the same vapid arguments over and over.

Let's talk about NPCs on Makeb!

Now, I've not played Trooper and for obvious reasons didn't romance Watcher 2 with my Agent, so I don't know much about non-companion continued romances. There aren't any of these in the open world (unless there's one on the Pub side I've not heard about) so I was wondering what people would think if two* of the [Flirt] options were available as continued romances during your stay on Makeb.

I actually think these could be decent if done with NPCs that have a major role in the Makeb story line. They would hit an end point ofc and this would be no different from companion romances. The only difference is that companions are still with you and you can imagine that there's more of a relationship there while anything with a Makeb NPC would be long-distance.

I actually think these could be decent if done with NPCs that have a major role in the Makeb story line. They would hit an end point ofc and this would be no different from companion romances. The only difference is that companions are still with you and you can imagine that there's more of a relationship there while anything with a Makeb NPC would be long-distance.
Interestingly, people have been bemoaning the lack of incentive to return to previous planets once they were done with them. Now, if you had a romance with an NPC on Makeb, you got a reason to return there.

I know, we don't have any idea how big Makeb is gonna be yet and how important the Makeb storyline will be, in the grand scheme of things, but not having to return to planets once you're done with them is an issue for a lot of the players.

It would make sense to encourage interplanetary travelling, have a romance on Makeb, a house on Tython, a podrace on Tatooine.... you know, that kind of stuff.

It's kind of lonely to spend time on the ship anyway, since there's not really much you can do there, space missions aside. :p

They did make some indications that they were going to add more incentives to return to older content in the recent blogs, however vague it all is. Also that Makeb is going to be about the size of one of their larger planets.

Honestly, I'm kind of expecting the SGRs on Makeb to be very minor to a degree that most of the supporters will be underwhelmed, but everyone else will easily move on and forget why they complained about it. :p I could be wrong, of course.

Like I said before, there will probably be envoys of the Hutts that each faction is working with closely, and you have a chance to get in some romantic dialogue; what we don't have any idea about is whether they'll just be pan-sexual people or if there will be multiple npcs that have different preferences. For all we know there could just be one NPC with a few flirts. What I'm really curious about is whether your current romantic decisions will have an affect, or be affected in any way. I'd be interesting if it did. Like have one of your companions confront you about it. I'd pay $10 for that. XD

Interestingly, people have been bemoaning the lack of incentive to return to previous planets once they were done with them. Now, if you had a romance with an NPC on Makeb, you got a reason to return there.

I know, we don't have any idea how big Makeb is gonna be yet and how important the Makeb storyline will be, in the grand scheme of things, but not having to return to planets once you're done with them is an issue for a lot of the players.

It would make sense to encourage interplanetary travelling, have a romance on Makeb, a house on Tython, a podrace on Tatooine.... you know, that kind of stuff.

It's kind of lonely to spend time on the ship anyway, since there's not really much you can do there, space missions aside. :p

Those are... actually really cool ideas.

Yes - little mini-updates every once in a while which give you more dialogue with your romance companion and letters that can tide you over in the meantime. It would make sense for different class: Agents are super busy and undercover, Bounty Hunters are super busy and more likely the prey for the most part and the Inquisitor and Warrior would be terribly busy with Sithy things and if the romance was alien WELL...

See? Reasons! They might be a bit hand-wavey, but less so than what Bioware's given us!

Those are... actually really cool ideas.
Thanks. :o Fan-fiction writer here. *coughs* Any open positions to fill, Bioware? *coughs* :p

Yes - little mini-updates every once in a while which give you more dialogue with your romance companion and letters that can tide you over in the meantime. It would make sense for different class: Agents are super busy and undercover, Bounty Hunters are super busy and more likely the prey for the most part and the Inquisitor and Warrior would be terribly busy with Sithy things and if the romance was alien WELL...

See? Reasons! They might be a bit hand-wavey, but less so than what Bioware's given us!

I love those reasons! :p It would definitely make sense, and I love the mini-update thing. Much harder to do with current companions, since you're always around them anyway and would expect them to talk to you instead of writing and such. :p Man, I wanna be in charge of the writing department...... :rolleyes: