New Player Mentorship Thread

JovethGonzalez

Hi everyone!

In an effort to help out new players who are just discovering the game via our SWTOR Friends Trial Program, we’d like to ask for any of you experienced SWTOR players to please post your server and character information if you’d like to act as a helpful guide to our new players. Feel free to add any other relevant info you’d like to share about yourself in your post.

These new players may choose to start a new character on your server and /whisper you for advice. Volunteers must be patient and be willing to take the time to help these folks out.

Of course, this is also useful for any new player to make friends as well, not just Trial Program players.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: As many of you have pointed out, this only applies to SWTOR Friends Trial Program players, since the weekend pass players will have additional restrictions. I've edited my post to reflect this.

Edited by JovethGonzalez

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a really neat idea :)

I can be found on The Red Eclipse (Republic side) on the character Gundrik and most certainly want to help out new folks!

Could be called a veteran if thats even possible with SWTOR yet but played beta for 6 months and am now nearing legacy level 37 so you might say Im quite experienced.

Gimme a tell and I'll see what information I can provide!

These new players may choose to start a new character on your server and /whisper you for advice. Volunteers must be patient and be willing to take the time to help these folks out.

Thanks in advance!

I'm confused, I thought the limitation was that the trial accounts cannot:

Use General Chat. [only say]

Can only reply to whispers.

Cannot use the mail system.

Cannot trade.

Cannot go anywhere except first two planets, Warzones, and the fleet.

So, how are these strangers supposed to get our attention?

Edited by KyoMamoru

Server: Mask of Nihilus

I can usually be found on the republic side, but am occasionally playing my Empire alt.

Republic

Nathrin - Jedi Shadow (Main)

Kardak - Jedi Knight (lvl 40)

Rundor - Commando (lvl 35)

Dernos - Scoundrel (lvl 40)

Empire

Maffik - Sith Sorcerer (lvl 26)

Cannot trade.

Ya

This needs to be like the refer a friend restrictions... I'm sure it would frustrate real trial players however I can also see reasoning for it to prevent gold spammers.

A Friends Trial character will not be able to use general chat, trade chat, or PvP chat. The character will only be able to use local chat, group chat, guild chat, whisper and responses to whispers.

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400150

Edited by Razuko

Cannot trade.

KyoMamoru makes a good point. Here is what the FAQ says:

"A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to use general chat, trade chat, or PvP chat. The character will only be able to use local chat, group chat, guild chat, and reply to whispers."

This "help a newbie" is a great idea - but do the restrictions placed on the accounts make the process cumbersome, if not impossible?

When it comes to the Friend Pass, one would be inclined to believe that /whisper will work since you are supposed to be playing with your friends who invited you.

Edited by HistoryGods

Server - Corellian Run (PvE)

Faction - Republic

Characters:

Atlas - 50 Trooper (Gunnery spec Commando)

Kharon - 50 Knight (Guardian)

Laehana - 44 Sage (Seer)

Laylla - 22 Smuggler (Scrapper spec Scoundrel)

Happy to help with everything from general game mechanics to specific class/talent questions.

Not exactly...

A Friends Trial character will not be able to use general chat, trade chat, or PvP chat. The character will only be able to use local chat, group chat, guild chat, whisper and responses to whispers.

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq/game#q400150

So knowing the actual limitations, using mentors like this makes sense.

That's for Refer a friend, not for the weekend pass.

A Weekend Pass Free Trial character will not be able to use general chat, trade chat, or PvP chat. The character will only be able to use local chat, group chat, guild chat, and reply to whispers.

I feel that this attempt though noble, will frustrate new players if you're giving them names but no ability to contact them.

That's for Refer a friend, not for the weekend pass.

I feel that this attempt though noble, will frustrate new players if you're giving them names but no ability to contact them.

Hmm, now that doesn't make sense... Why have different restrictions for weekend vs friend. That could be frustrating for new trial players, But I'd bet it has more to do with preventing gold spammers than anything.

Good lookin out.

Edited by Razuko

Server: Legions of Lettow(EU English)

Faction: Empire

Character Names: Daex or Wens.

Mostly playing on Daex(Level 50 Juggernaut), 26 days /played, feel free to whisper whenever I'm online.