Classes, which must be nerfed [statistics] - balance issue

TonyDragonflame

There is graphics from Guild Summit before 1.2, with statistics of players for classes in game:

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/classdistribution.jpg

There 16 classes at all (8 for empire and 8 for repulic), and 100%/16 = 6.25% average for each class - for balancing game.

And what we see now?

Jedi Guardian - 5.5% - must be buffed up about for 20% damage

Jedi Sentinel - 7.5% - must be nerfed down for 20% damage

Jedi Shadow - 5.5% - must be buffed up about for 20% damage

Jedi Sage - 6% - OK

Gunslinger - 4.5% - must be buffed up about for 50% damage

Scoundrel - 3% - must be buffed up about for 120% damage

Commando - 6% - OK

Vanguard - 3% - must be buffed up about for 120% damage

Sith Juggernaut - 8% - must be nerfed down for 20% damage

Sith maradeur - 8% - must be nerfed down for 20% damage

Sith Assasin - 8.5% - must be nerfed down for 30% damage

Sith Sorcerer - 9.5% - must be nerfed down for 50% damage

Mercenary -9.5% - must be nerfed down for 50% damage

Powertech -4% - must be buffed up about for 50% damage

Operative - 4.5% - must be buffed up about for 40% damage

Sniper - 5% - - must be buffed up about for 30% damage

When it all be done, the game will be balanced -all classes will be around 6% of players.

Adjusting damage because of popularity is an extremely bad idea.

Hey, this kid could be on to something. You never know.

So just boost my Pyro's damage by 50% like he says and we'll see. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'd like to see these forums with 120% more scoundrel damage.

After first screams quantity of sorcs, mercs and sins fall till normal 6%, and scoundrels increased till 6%.

Certainly, cause sorcs, sins and mercs soooo many, quantity of their screams will be more, than feed back scoundrels, right?

The game must be balanced. Sorcs, sins and mercs now are OP - statistics is clear, players vote for these classes as imbas and plays for them - and low-stat classes is not enjoying current situations, cause that enjoying for their count.

What about those of that don't choose characters based on their damage output? I chose mine based on what I wanted to play long term and I take them into PVP so I can try it out and earn commendations. My decision (and I'm sure others) has nothing to do with the damage of the character.

You can't just look at what people are playing, and assume that an adjustment to straight damage output will fix class representation at a 1:1 ratio. There are a plethora of reasons for this including, but not limited to:

1. Not everyone picks their class based on damage output, most will make their choice upon due consideration of a number of factors such as class role, playstyle, aesthetics, role play concerns, which type of starship they get, utility and/or story.

2. Certain classes need to do more/less straight dps to compensate for a large or small kit of CC or other utility mechanics.

3. Many, many people don't care what their damage output is relative to others, they are only here because they enjoy leveling themselves, or maybe with a small group of friends they game with. Changing damage will not influence them.

Edited by Madaghmire

I find it a little funny no one has pointed this out yet: he's suggesting nerfs to some classes yet buffs to their mirrors.

Jedi Guardian - 5.5% - must be buffed up about for 20% damage

Jedi Sentinel - 7.5% - must be nerfed down for 20% damage

Jedi Shadow - 5.5% - must be buffed up about for 20% damage

Jedi Sage - 6% - OK

Gunslinger - 4.5% - must be buffed up about for 50% damage

Scoundrel - 3% - must be buffed up about for 120% damage

Commando - 6% - OK

Vanguard - 3% - must be buffed up about for 120% damage

Sith Juggernaut - 8% - must be nerfed down for 20% damage

Sith maradeur - 8% - must be nerfed down for 20% damage

Sith Assasin - 8.5% - must be nerfed down for 30% damage

Sith Sorcerer - 9.5% - must be nerfed down for 50% damage

Mercenary -9.5% - must be nerfed down for 50% damage

Powertech -4% - must be buffed up about for 50% damage

Operative - 4.5% - must be buffed up about for 40% damage

Sniper - 5% - - must be buffed up about for 30% damage

Edited by HazardOOI

This is just stupid beyond belief.

A) Any adjustment to one AC would mandate a change to the mirror AC...

B) Putting in a random percentage increase to damage dosent indicate WHERE your gonna get that damage increase from.

Or are you seriously gonna have a Sniper being able to one-shot someone with the base attack while the Gunslinger needs to hit someone with a whole rotation ?

Fail Statistics to match a Fail Thread.

How cute.. someone thinks balance relates to the number of people playing a class.

:o

You cant argue that isnt a correlation between least played classes and how bad or hard to play they are. OPs and scoundrels are so low because of the nerf. Also if you look at the class breakdown for WoW, using that game as example because well no other MMO has more people playing so largest sample size. Hunters/Pally top played classes cause they are easy mode. Warlocks least played (not even close) because you need 6 hands and 3 keyboards to play them properly.

Edited by Dabrixmgp

You cant argue that isnt a correlation between least played classes and how bad or hard to play they are. OPs and scoundrels are so low because of the nerf. Also if you look at the class breakdown for WoW, using that game as example because well no other MMO has more people playing so largest sample size. Hunters/Pally top played classes cause they are easy mode. Warlocks least played (not even close) because you need 6 hands and 3 keyboards to play them properly.

Yea but that didn't correlate to their power. Warlocks were almost always top tier in pvp even if they were least played.

That's why it's faulty to try to base balance upon popularity. You can't know why people play what they play. Just because you play what's strong/powerful doesn't mean everyone does.

That's why it's faulty to try to base balance upon popularity. You can't know why people play what they play. Just because you play what's strong/powerful doesn't mean everyone does.

Agreed.

If you want "minimum" class balance, you must balance according to what a perfect player can do with the class.

If you want "functional" class balance, you must balance according to what a perfect player can do with the class AND what an average player can do with the class.

If you want a "good" class balance, you must have functional balance at each of the various level ranges and gear tiers.

In order to achieve that, you have to step up the automated testing quite a bit. My guesstimate is that you would need about 100k hours of simulated combat to achieve balance. Which is not that much, if you consider that the immense majority of it can be completely automated and run 24/7, pausing only to analyse the results and tune the input parameters.

The problem with balance right now is that it relies far too much on random sampling by human testers in undefined environments. In other words : you get numbers but have no idea what parameters led to those numbers. You can get parsers of static combat (target dummies), but even then you do not know the rotation used, the deviation from the perfect rotation (which *can* be simulated to model an imperfect player), and any time you want to actually know how it works in a real game environment, everything crumbles because you don't have any parameters.

Sampling is OK to find bugs after regular testing campaigns are over. But for statistical analysis, its a very poor method.

I'd say there is a 100% chance the OP plays republic side

from Empire strikes back:

Luke : Man, I wish they'd nerf the Empire, Vader keeps whoopin' my arse in Huttball.

Han : I hear ya kid, I don't even PvP anymore!

Edited by Kavu