Mercenary Or Powertech?

Freaky_Barber

Hello guys, I am looking forward to make a new alt and I decided that I will go for Bounty Hunter. Although I can't decide which class to pick. From one hand, I already have my 55lvl Juggernaut Tank and logically it would be better to make Mercenary since it's completely opposite to Juggernaut, plus Mercenary have a heal spec which I would like to try and it's ranged class, that fact attracts me the most. Also Mercenary have "cool factor" which includes blasters in two hands. From another hand, there is Powertech, pretty interesting class with its gadgets and stuff, if I will choose him I will be dps, though I don't know which skill tree to choose. I also heard that Powertech is more challenging class which is also a plus, since I like to play classes you need to master.

I also decided that I will concentrate on PvP and I want to hear your opinion about class choice for that purpose.

Also, what crew skills you would reccomend? And the last question is - I am planning to level up with Treek, is she good for Mercenary/Powertech and in what role?

Thank you for time you spent reading my post, I will look forward to your replies.

Powertech is more personal, up close as opposed to the range of the Mercenary.

You're going primarily PvP? I caution you, a lot of the Merc abilities are channeled. The whole key of a Merc Pyro is really Rail Shot and getting it to come up as much as possible. It's PvP potential is really minimal prior to that, too many of your abilities are channeled or AoE (which means they'll flee the AoE zone and you'll hit nothing).

I don't have a PT, I want one. Badly. I hear their PvP potential is pretty damn great, especially their tank spec, and they have... or had, depending on who you ask... A hybrid tank/dps spec that dominated in PvP. Regardless, they're still at least ranked "Good" at PvP and their abilities focus more on single target as opposed to the Merc's AoE, which is good for PvP. For your PvP purposes, I say go PT.

As for Treek... Easily the best companion in the game. If you already have Treek, go for it. I say put her in Heal spec if you go anything but Mercenary Bodyguard (heal) spec. But I wouldn't buy Treek for a BH, since they get their healer as their first companion and they're in Heavy Armor regardless.

I can't really speak to the other things as I do not PvP a lot. But I do use Treek a lot with my Powertech. So I can speak to doing dailies and general usefulness of Treek on a Bounty Hunter.

Treek herself uses Aim, as does your Bounty Hunter. So you can do the hand-me-down method, and pass off anything you had to her (especially if your like me, and end up with 100 planet comms and spend most of them to upgrade a full orange set. Just rip the old mods our and put'em into Treek's gear). For me I use Treek as ether a healer or a tank, it depends on what spec my Powertech is in. As my PT has both a dps set and a tanking set, so if I'm tanking Treek is healer (using my dps set) and if I'm dps then treek is tanking (using my tank set). As for my Merc, I do not use Treek with her but if I did Treek would be a tank most likely.

Funny thing about Treek is, regardless of her stance she can cast some healing abilities. Tank Treek seems to cast some heals, not very often but she does.

If your emphasis is primary PvE, and looking for dps/healer, I would go merc. Merc has better overall dps than PT and off heal options.

For PvP, PT is one of the top dps classes. Merc is not terrible, but compared to PT is very weak. Healer will be decent in PvP after buff, so if you are looking for a healer, merc is decent.

My first (and only) toon I got to 55 is my Commando, which is the Merc counterpart. The bottom line is that the Merc will use a lot more buttons to be as effective in PVP. While I do have a lot of tools I find my Operative to be a much better healer in PVE and PVP. If you are going for DPS PVE then Merc all the way. In PVP I just feel stronger on any other class I try. Granted none of them are at the level cap yet.

My PT is at 20 though and he will probably make it to 55 before my poor Force users. IMO the PT has the best animations in the game.

Oh, and I use Treek as heals on my Trooper for dailies. I can kill more things quicker and with more HP at the end than having Treek as a tank, and that includes Elite fights.

• 1 month later...

I would say merc, if it wasn't for the dual-wield thing, i HATE dual-wielding, when i roll my bounty hunter, it will be going powertech.

In the end, you should go with what you like, i mean going with a AC that you don't like just because its the better dps AC is not a good thing to do.

Played as both roles, mind both are only level 21. I can say for me personally, the PT is much more fun for me and suits my play style. You can take a considerable beating and hold your own with DPS, considering the PT can be used as a decent off-tank.

It comes down to personal preference and how you play. If you want to get up close and personal and watch your enemies burn, roll a PT Pyro. If you prefer to stay back and kill from a distance while being able to heal yourself and allies, roll merc.

With all classes, whether it be a jedi, smuggler, BH, sith warrior etc. You will get the most enjoyment if you play what suits you, not go with the flavor of the month, unless that is the way you like to play then go all in.

• 2 weeks later...

Not taking pure numbers into account as buffs and nerds are always around the corner,

If you like:

Melee close range damage, lots of gadgets, a fan of predator ( arm blade, rail shot, shoulder missile ), like instant damage and survivability go Powertech.

Long range, a few cast attacks, less gadgets, crazy cowboys who dual wild guns and shooting things go Mercenary.

• 6 months later...
I have been led to believe that the powertech can do the same type of damage with one pistol as a merc does with 2..then you have the powertech's hield in the other hand which must give it much more defense than the merc..Shouldn't the merc more damage to ompensate for not having a shield...If a powertech can tank and still do comparable damage with it's gun why play a merc besides doing other people the favor of tracer locks or healing?

I have been led to believe that the powertech can do the same type of damage with one pistol as a merc does with 2..then you have the powertech's hield in the other hand which must give it much more defense than the merc..Shouldn't the merc more damage to ompensate for not having a shield...If a powertech can tank and still do comparable damage with it's gun why play a merc besides doing other people the favor of tracer locks or healing?

Using a shield generator means you have reduced tech damage over using a regular generator or a offhand pistol, so no a Powertech with a shield generator isn't going to be touching a merc in terms of DPS.