Madness Sorcerer Guide by Milas [post 2.8]

JDotter

Just hope that another 8 man downs the content so i can see your skills.

Thursday though I'll be on sorc #2. I had footage I thought but I guess trial bandicam only gives you 10 minutes of record time so welp.

I have consistently parsed higher with the following rotation:

Opener: CD>AF>CT>(Recklessness)DF>(Polarity Shift)FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)

Main rotation: CD(Wrath Proc)>DF>AF>CT>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS> repeat.

I was hitting higher parses using Crushing Darkness before Death Field and Affliction and Creeping Terror after. I do not use Adrenals when parsing but i managed a 3913 parse with this combo. Low parse out of 12 or so was 3674. The highest I managed with the rotation in the OP was just over 3700. Of course this numbers may have just been based on luckier crits, but it seems to me throwing down AF and CT after a DF would be better for the death mark buff.

Have you guys experienced when you clip your FL too early, around 1 second left on the channel, your Wrath stacks will be consumed but you'll go into a 1.4 second casted LS anyway. What's happening on that? Are you getting 2 LS off in one GCD or is it consuming your Wrath procs without giving you the benefit of instant cast?

Not a bad guide. I will say I use a different spec. I run a 3/7/36 spec, but it differs a bit. This spec also is better on maintaining force.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZbcbZcMfRsrkrfRo.3

The talent points into Subversion allows me to be more aggressive with LS. As far as my rotation

CD (hard cast) --> DF --> CT -->Aff. --> FL (3 stack) --> LS --> FL (same) --> LS then FL (3 stack) CD --> DF then when aff. and CT run out i reapply. I try to use reckless with DF and pair polarity shift with FL and LS to get some solid burst in. I will note that I use the timers in parsec. to time my dots. On a dummy im running about 3800.

Have you guys experienced when you clip your FL too early, around 1 second left on the channel, your Wrath stacks will be consumed but you'll go into a 1.4 second casted LS anyway. What's happening on that? Are you getting 2 LS off in one GCD or is it consuming your Wrath procs without giving you the benefit of instant cast?

It's a UI bug and it happens because server and client are slightly out of sync. What actually happens is that LS is instant, but the cast is a fake. Also sometimes if you do FL immediately after you won't see the channel, but still get wrath stacks.

Edited by ceazare

It's a UI bug and it happens because server and client are slightly out of sync. What actually happens is that LS is instant, but the cast is a fake. Also sometimes if you do FL immediately after you won't see the channel, but still get wrath stacks.

I've had happen with Mind Crush a few times. The cast is real.

Opener: CD>AF>CT>(Recklessness)DF>(Polarity Shift)FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)>LS>FL(3)

I was hitting higher parses using Crushing Darkness before Death Field and Affliction and Creeping Terror after. I do not use Adrenals when parsing but i managed a 3913 parse with this combo. Low parse out of 12 or so was 3674. The highest I managed with the rotation in the OP was just over 3700. Of course this numbers may have just been based on luckier crits, but it seems to me throwing down AF and CT after a DF would be better for the death mark buff.

There are some points you have to look at. The DPS-difference between yours and the guides rotation is absurd marginal, especially in practise. On paper, CD does not profit that much from DF like AF and CT does.

Much more important is your playstyle. How much APM do you have? Refreshing dots before fade out results in a little dps loss, because there is a risk to loose some dot-ticks. And, indeed, RNG.

Edited by Citruzz

CT before DF is fine IMO. I just do it the way I do it because I can prestack 3 wrath procs and have a window to play with.

Using CD---> DF is bad as all 8 ticks will get ate and will be a dps loss overall however. Its a timing thing with gcd input and having to reappy or you run into weird timing patterns with CD & DF.

As pelara suggested I don't think its actually casting the ability its just a visual glitch. I do however get a really weird animation when it does occurs and I go into a FL.

Not a bad guide. I will say I use a different spec. I run a 3/7/36 spec, but it differs a bit. This spec also is better on maintaining force.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZbcbZcMfRsrkrfRo.3

The talent points into Subversion allows me to be more aggressive with LS. As far as my rotation

CD (hard cast) --> DF --> CT -->Aff. --> FL (3 stack) --> LS --> FL (same) --> LS then FL (3 stack) CD --> DF then when aff. and CT run out i reapply. I try to use reckless with DF and pair polarity shift with FL and LS to get some solid burst in. I will note that I use the timers in parsec. to time my dots. On a dummy im running about 3800.

Again CD into DF will automatically make it eat the majority of the CD stacks.

http://imgur.com/22BuoNn

http://imgur.com/KzdKYHQ

Even with 56% crit it was a 100 lower and the first examples features crit @ 28/22%

The spec is viable I just feel its not necessary. You are losing damage for better force management only fight i have issues on is NM Bestia rest give recovery periods or no issues are present.

I mean in a raid I'm not 100% using LS @ 2-3 stacks that comes with experience so while learning the spec/class yes its fine but i'd move to the 4% increase once you feel fine.

EDIT: Off quote no videos this week unless I do our second run on my second sorc. apologies if I don't, I derped and didn't realize i couldn't hit record and be done for night with it. Have to go fight by fight basis until I get full version.

Edited by JDotter

hi ya

I look at other peoples parses / gear and I allways seem to be about 200 dps off the mark with similar gear.

http://www.torparse.com/a/703975/39/0/Overview

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/f5f293ab-bc01-4024-8473-f045739a4e98

am I at the correct level or am I missing something / doing something wrong?

also is it worth dropping 130 power for 110 crit? (ear piece) or 62 power for 62 crit?

Edited by Scatmanworlds

I'm using 1/9/36.

My build is pretty close to the OP.

Except, 0 points in alacrity and 1 point in crit from the corruption tree. I put 2 points into subversion since LS's off of wrath procs are now more reliable. I haven't really got to play my sorc a lot since the changes, am I missing something? Is madness not as force demanding now?

To me it seems the extra force regen would be more beneficial than alacrity in a build with so many instant casts.

I find the alacracy reduces the time on force lightening enough so you can get an extra cast in between resetting dots

Well a very brief bit of maths stated if you clip exactly on 3 stacks, then the alacrity you need for no downtime is 5%. So a 1/9/36 spec gets you the alacrity you need, though the extra tick on lightning takes another 10% alacrity.

Edited by TACeMossie

I'm using 1/9/36.

My build is pretty close to the OP.

Except, 0 points in alacrity and 1 point in crit from the corruption tree. I put 2 points into subversion since LS's off of wrath procs are now more reliable. I haven't really got to play my sorc a lot since the changes, am I missing something? Is madness not as force demanding now?

To me it seems the extra force regen would be more beneficial than alacrity in a build with so many instant casts.

I have had some pretty good success running a 2/8/36 build similar to yours above. I only take 1 point in Subversion. I did not notice much difference with the 50% proc as opposed to a 100% proc on the force regen since LS is spammed often. In the corruption tree I only take 1 point in Alacrity and 1 point in crit. The 2 points in alacrity seems to be of no major benefit to me when raiding.

I'm losing forum access tonight (I've unsubbed) so won't be able to answers any questions after I lose said access.

The x/9/37 build I'm sure is fine and helpful in terms of force regeneration. On a dummy its a dps loss (most of my good parses) 42+ LS in parse end with me at 20-30% force. In a raid scenario is viable in my personal opinion I don't need it.

In a raid I'm 100% not running a static rotation and won't run out of force outside NM Bestia. There are also phases in every fight that allow you to life tab and regen force to a acceptable rate.

Edited by JDotter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mikey and I are having a sorc off tonight of NM DP and perhaps DF.

#1 vs #2 sorc off for all the marbles heading into 3.0

Tune in at 7 PST PM Here

If I'm not dumb I'll get footage and upload it.

In regards to 3.0, I will be updating this guide it'll be slow currently planning to level my sorc third come expansion and won't have information asap.

Mikey and handcuff ( old SG sage) are both in zorz for 3.0 and will be maining sorcs so I'm sure they'll get some quality information out.

Edited by JDotter