Back after 9 months off. Dps meters yet?

Lancerx

Just curious, Im back after 9 months off from playing, looking forward to having some fun solo'ing and what not. Is there anyway to monitor dps yet? I know before there was no way, and it kinda bummed me out. Dps charts I know are not that important at times, but they are very fun to me though.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, Im back after 9 months off from playing, looking forward to having some fun solo'ing and what not. Is there anyway to monitor dps yet? I know before there was no way, and it kinda bummed me out. Dps charts I know are not that important at times, but they are very fun to me though.

Personal combat logging and tie-in to reputable 3rd party parsers. Works nicely if you really feel you need it.

No addons in game, and I hope there never are.

Combat log + parsing system (via sites like Askmrrobot) exist and I think are a great happy medium struck. I am more then happy to upload my combat log to one to check it out, and find ways to tweak builds/rotations/whatever to maximize dps, and more importantly-- notice where and when my dps is coming so the overall result isn't swayed by say aoeing trash or the like.

This gives you all the tools in place to improve either just yourself or as a guild/group without any of that pesky dps meter racing that can utterly mung up the flow of most pugs.

No offence here, but DPS meters are for elitists.

I mean, yeah, sure, they can be used to identify players that need help to do more DPS. But in my experience, I have seen DPS meters only serve for one player to tell another player to quit the game because they aren't doing enough DPS.

Games are supposed to be fun

SWMoniTOR is my personal favorite and MOX come 2nd.

No offence here, but DPS meters are for elitists.

I mean, yeah, sure, they can be used to identify players that need help to do more DPS. But in my experience, I have seen DPS meters only serve for one player to tell another player to quit the game because they aren't doing enough DPS.

Games are supposed to be fun

Someone sensitive? So you got hit by the low dps disease and try to say everyone using a tool to find out you arent giving effort in what you do is an elitist?

We wouldnt need the tool in the first place if you were doing your job while having fun.

Edited by ElitehunterDS

Someone sensitive? So you got hit by the low dps disease and try to say everyone using a tool to find out you arent giving effort in what you do is an elitist?

We wouldnt need the tool in the first place if you were doing your job while having fun.

Generally speaking the malice towards dps meters would not be concern that "jimbob is woefully inadequate to the content he is working on and here it is in black and white" but more along the lines of "damage dealers need to be pulling at least 700 dps for X encounter, jimbob did 750dps but is terrible because it wasn't 800dps and therfore made the run take an extra 30 seconds"

In flashpoints there's only two dps and the tank, you can pretty much figure out who is to blame if the damage is lacking. In operations there are enough split-dps fights in most of them that it is again easier to narrrow down who is the culprit.

As a progression-content tool shared among guildies via a parser meters are great, but there is no Puggable content that should require a meter, meaning that the only purpose a real-time in game dps meter serves would be a little faster convenience when working on rotations (combat dummy and the like) and a lot of hassle from those looking to churn through puggable as fast as humanly possible, meaning that columi-geared dpser in a HM is just slowing the group down and in need of replacement.

And before you tie it somehow into my worry that my own personal dps will be called out by virtue of this, I have basically only one character I tend to PVE on who is a dedicated healer, the other two I use time to time in pvp are also healspecced.

Edited by paul_preib

No sir. Bioware's made it clear - no in-game addons ... and they're sticking to it. Which is fine by me personally as I left WoW because it got to the point where the challenge was in mastering the mods instead of the game. The only "mod" (if you will) that I felt the game lacked at launch was a customizable UI. That was handled rather nicely with the 1.2 patch back in April. Edited by GalacticKegger

Actually...I am a tank....always been a tank

But i have been in a ops group where people have been singled out, yelled at and then kicked out of the group for not doing their job properly. If you were a DPS class and that happened to you, would you consider a game that does that still fun?

Actually...I am a tank....always been a tank

But i have been in a ops group where people have been singled out, yelled at and then kicked out of the group for not doing their job properly. If you were a DPS class and that happened to you, would you consider a game that does that still fun?

i agree with u....besides there is more to do than just dps for a dps.cc,keep an eye out for raid warnings,boss mechanics, throw some heals if really needed or bubble people. (i am a sorc) if u will solo focus on just dpsing u can not do all of those things. a good dpser knows what to do without a freacking meter!

Edited by hages

i agree with u....besides there is more to do than just dps for a dps.cc,keep an eye out for raid warnings,boss mechanics, throw some heals if really needed or bubble people. (i am a sorc) if u will solo focus on just dpsing u can not do all of those things. a good dpser knows what to do without a freacking meter!

There lies the other concern, even if they don't belittle/kick/etc. The other dps, you also possibly have the concern ofnot doing all those little non damage dealie things that make a run go smoother, be it unloading with no regard for threat, aoe with no concern for cc, or not waste a gcd on am interrupt because "that's the tanks job" or a defensive cd because "that's the healer's job to keep me alive"

Not saying everyone will misuse it, but in the average pug group how many do you think would either ignore or misuse an active dps meter vs use it as a helpful tool? I can give a reasonable estimate and.it doesn't favor the implementation.

That is my concern to. it is a great tool for personal use.to test out rotations and stuff. But people and some guild WILL use it as measurement of u. And when that happends the dps will ignore other things and just pew pew for the sake of a meter what in the end will lead to more wipes then ever.

In my experience when u are geared properly for the fp/raid that u wanna do .The bosses almost never enrage. So u have time to contrubute more things then just pew pew and a dps meter would ruin that .

Butt this is just my opinion ofc

Edited by hages

I like how it is setup with the logging. I can work on my rotation and share results if raiding, but we are spared the trash meter spammer and pug abuses. With MoX and similar tools your raid group can still work out strats/give advice and it's more likley to be offline/out of the raid so it works great for guilds/friends, etc.

I'm on the fence about this. Obviously, we all hate it when people are d!cks. I hate it when people post meters at every opportunity to show off their epeen, I hate it when some one constantly pesters the group to post meters because they're too lazy to get one themselves, I hate it when people use meters as an excuse to boot someone.

But, I like to be able to see myself in comparison to other people, it helps me work harder and get better. I like to easily see who is underperforming in a guild run so we know who to sit down with and help with rotations. Not everyone is willing to go through the trouble of syncing and uploading their parses and it's hard to make people do that.

So I want them and I don't....I guess.

Mmmmm, why do I have a smell of a troll?

As you can clearly see in this thread, most of the long term raiders left the game, casuals dont use to like DPS/HPS/Threat meters.

this is crap...and pure lies. I raid every week 3 times and i am in a progression guild. we do not need those damm meters. teh players who liked easy time addons from wow like games has left yes!

Why on earth would you use dps meters while soloing?

Why on earth would anyone need a DPS meter for TOR?

Ive done the PVP

Ive done the OPS storymode

Ive done the ops hardmode (excluding EC but its coming)

You dont need a DPS Meter to understand where it went wrong and what area is responsible!

And you dont need a dps meter to know if your pumping out enough dps or not

And as for nightmare mode.

I dont see groups that dont regularly play togather doing nightmare so thats also a non issue!

Anything under that is so simple that if someone needs a dps meter to understand where something went wrong.

Id be looking at the entire group, not just any single person(s).

Hardmode flashpoints arnt that hardmode really

Storymode flashpoints even easier

Heroics are even easier then storymode

and anything under that is soloable (heck many of the 2 and 4 man heroics soloable with companion)

Of all the games Ive seen through out my 21 years in MMORPGs,

This game is the least of the list for needing a working dps meter!