BW closing all game forums except SWTOR

DarthDymond

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They already closed the CS section because they never bother to read or reply to anything. Won't surpise me by the end of the year for them to close the rest of the forums down. Its not like they use them anyways and they can let guy the one guy they have policing the forums once a week go and save that $20/day they pay him.

So, looks like BioWare is closing down all of their games' online forums, except for these SWTOR ones.

An interesting wrinkle in "devs don't communicate" discussion that's a reoccurring favorite in these boards - at least ours are staying open (for now).

did u read everything at this page? they dont close swtor forum because this game is still up. they closed mass effect, dragon age and legacy bioware title. this are old games...means they dont need forums anymore.

its like win xp...no support anymore.

Well these are "legacy" games, so I'm not surprised. And frankly, many companies are moving towards Facebook/Twitter as their official "Forums."

That being said, I'd like to see an official comment from the Devs on this topic.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

I wouldn't be surprised if these go next, considering how outdated forums have become as a means of communication. I grew up using them in my teens, so they are like second nature to me, but a lot of people just don't use them and (I imagine) don't understand them that well.

There is somewhat of a learning curve if you've never used one before. Most social media platforms, on the other hand, despite having a learning curve, get ongoing changes to try to be more intuitive and user-friendly, while forum software is stuck in the past because of lack of demand.

I would be sad to see them go at first, but I'm not sure I'd actually miss them. At least for this game. Considering how little communication actually happens here, and how virtually none of the things we say are ever responded to, there's very little reason for the forums to exist. They mostly exist as a way for us to complain at each other.

Edit: Holy ****, somebody said something to us. O.o My words taste gamey.

Edited by Rolodome

Wow so we're like the last guy left on Survivor island or whatever.

Naw it's more like Gilligan's Island. We're all trapped here because the Devs can build a radio out of a coconut but they can't fix a hole in a boat.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

Naw it's more like Gilligan's Island. We're all trapped here because the Devs can build a radio out of a coconut but they can't fix a hole in a boat.

~ Eudoxia

If there's a bright center to the game forum universe, you're on the forum that it's farthest from.

~ Eudoxia

Shoot man, if I could build a radio out of a coconut, might as well forget the boat. Society is going to think I'm a freak anyway.

TBQH I think for an MMO keeping these forums is simply way more practical. It's much easier to get active feedback about different sections of the game (PvE, PvP, GSF, Crafting) etc with individual forums than a facebook page you have to scroll a mile through to find the relevant topic. It's not the same as mass effect, you don't have a bunch of different aspects to consider (at least not in the same method) and a ton of active feedback you need for constant content development.

~ Eudoxia

You all complete me. Also these sweet Rakghoul smilies! :rak_01::rak_04::rak_03::rak_02:

-eric

Hey, Rakghouls are friendly. They just want to frolick, and play with you, and infect you with a deadly disease that will make you ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US. :rak_01::rak_01::rak_01:

I would be sad to see them go at first, but I'm not sure I'd actually miss them. At least for this game. Considering how little communication actually happens here, and how virtually none of the things we say are ever responded to, there's very little reason for the forums to exist. They mostly exist as a way for us to complain at each other.

At least for MMOs, I still consider forums essential. Look at WoW, Wildstar, ESO, FF16, they all have a forum. An MMO is very intricate; there's pretty much an infinite amount of knowledge you can have about the game. Outside of forums and guides, I don't see a good way to document it. Reddit does not have an easy way to search, and any Twitter or other social media is too short-lived.

For me, the forum is about discussing boss strategies, class rotations and quickly finding information about bugs. Without the forums, Reddit would come in second but it fails to offer what the forums can IMO.

The other BioWare games are not actively maintained; they have some DLCs but once released, they stay that way. MMOs are constantly evolving and as such need to keep a constant channel of feedback open.

Edited by Jerba