So. Ninjas yea?

Why don't they just give all four players a class specific piece of kit each? Would it really reduce the time players spend playing? I've done FE HM four times now.... not a sausage! Three times the item was no use to me so I passed and the fourth time I got ninja'd by a player needing the piece of kit I was chasing after that was no use to him. So now it's quite simple. I don't do HM's any more. I just take all my 50's through their daily's and take the BH route instead and don't bother with Columi.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing I don't get with this whole needing thing for companions, especially while leveling, is that companions are so very easy to gear. as long as you have a set of moddable armor for them (which is also not that hard to get, as I've been doing that on every single character I have) - you just get appropriate mods and you are golden. (and like it was said few posts above me, orange gear for yourself - same story. I tend to outfit my characters in a set I like them to wear as quickly as possibly, and then I just update the mods, as they level. especially with campaign armoring being what carries the set bonus, I can do that at end game as well.

I don't tend to sweat it if a lose a roll, but I do call out someone for rolling need on everything that drops (usually they either don't know what the button means - and if your lvl 30 flashpoint is your first one, you may not know, or they are trolls to avoid). I don't see loot as my loot until its in my inventory. doesn't mean that people shouldn't be considerate to each other, since it tends to make for more pleasant runs. at least for me it does.

Edited by Jeweledleah

one thing I don't get with this whole needing thing for companions, especially while leveling, is that companions are so very easy to gear. as long as you have a set of moddable armor for them (which is also not that hard to get, as I've been doing that on every single character I have) - you just get appropriate mods and you are golden. (and like it was said few posts above me, orange gear for yourself - same story.

Not quite. Tanks and tank companions gear up pretty easily with planet comms (a dime a dozen if you're running daily FPS), but DPS and healers have it harder. Any given comm vendor is going to offer Guard and Commando armor one tier higher than any Skill or Might mod he carries. (And who in the world is using Patron? Why does it even exist? Even in PvP you want Cunning more than health.) I've been using Corso for DPS on my Scoundrel, since I'm leveling with a Vanguard friend of mine, and it's been a complete pain in the arse getting him geared out without constantly shipping mods across faction from my cybertech. He did in fact spend fifteen levels wearing the Esseles trooper chest, with me slowly sticking better mods in it until I had the social for the Balmorran gear I actually wanted him in. It was the first free heavy orange shell I came across, and it came with mods that were a major upgrade for him at the time.

Of course, I greeded for it. Because I'm not a total douchebag.

Edited by Quething

I almost never look at chat anymore to see how people rolled. Even for characters that actually need gear from the content I'm doing. Gearing up is so easy, whether you are leveling or fresh 50, that I don't care and would rather just enjoy the content. The only time gear rolls really matter, I'm playing with my guild anyway.

Happens once per run, across all lvl's and factions. Usually if you point it out to them they will give it to you though but really it isn't that hard to take a couple of seconds to double-check when needing on Oranges and Purples wether that +Aim piece is really a Merc Healer piece or actually +Defense + SHield Powertech armor.

I must be lucky on my server i almost never see this even when leveling my alts. I only need on stuff than my class can use or if no one else needs it ill ask if i can need it for a companion. At this point almost all of my companions are in at least Columi quality gear, my healer has some BH and Rakata stuff.

BioWare could just do away with the current loot system and have individual drops for kills with a random% rate for the better loot drops across the board and remove the whole vote roll.

Vote rolls are antiquated.

However until they do just need everything :D

jks

Not quite. Tanks and tank companions gear up pretty easily with planet comms (a dime a dozen if you're running daily FPS), but DPS and healers have it harder. Any given comm vendor is going to offer Guard and Commando armor one tier higher than any Skill or Might mod he carries. (And who in the world is using Patron? Why does it even exist? Even in PvP you want Cunning more than health.) I've been using Corso for DPS on my Scoundrel, since I'm leveling with a Vanguard friend of mine, and it's been a complete pain in the arse getting him geared out without constantly shipping mods across faction from my cybertech. He did in fact spend fifteen levels wearing the Esseles trooper chest, with me slowly sticking better mods in it until I had the social for the Balmorran gear I actually wanted him in. It was the first free heavy orange shell I came across, and it came with mods that were a major upgrade for him at the time.

Of course, I greeded for it. Because I'm not a total douchebag.

huh. I actually found tanking companions to be more difficult to gear as they are the ones that get mods of the lower level. heavy on endurance with some defensive stats - you are lucky if you find it at all. most recent character I was leveling - agent, Kaliyo at one point wore enhancements that were 10 levels lower then her actual level.

granted... I do use my cybertech to supplement the mods (mostly armoring, as it costs 7 coms, instead of 2), but before I could, you could often find those mods sold on GTN and worst case scenario - every planet has a mod vendor with green mods for affordable cost.

I tend to just greed most things while leveling though, unless aforementioned upgrade is also something I really want because of its looks. and if its not visible upgrade for my character - I ask before hitting need)

Edited by Jeweledleah

I've just started ignoring them. I play only healers and tanks, and almost all the people who need on crap they can't use are DPS, so I just ignore away. I'll send them a message letting them know that, too.

Seriously, people. If everyone just follows three rules, it will come to an end.

1) Announce at the beginning of the run: Need for yourself, greed for everything else. If someone doesn't agree, kick them, if you are the only one in the group who wants those rules, leave and reque. Don't argue, don't complain.

2) Anyone who ninjas, ignore. Go in Genchat, call their name and guild out. Whenever I hear someone saying someone else is a ninja, I ignore the person they call out.

3) Get with a good guild.

Most of these people who defend need for companions/alts are unguilded and , increasingly, many of them are poor players. I had a guy ninja a mainhand columni from me he couldn't use. Garbage. Couldn't heal worth crap, didn't bother to rez, and singlehandely caused two wipes with his incompetence. I ignored, sent a PM to his guild leader, and went on my merry way.

I no longer care about the specious arguments of the 'need is fine for companions' people. I've been burnt far too many times, and I've seen several people on this board who claim need is fine for companions howl like hypocrites when you do it to them to believe these people are anything but thieves.

Recently I got called out for needing on a biometric crystal alloy since I can't make a rakata whatever stim (I'm a cybertech). I politely educated the person that all crafting skills can in fact use those materials, and he seemed to understand it.

Crafting materials are perhaps the hardest to form a policy on. On a single occasion I've seen it announced at the beginning of an op that everyone should need on mats. If no such announcement is made, I'll wait a moment and need if I see anyone else needing on it, otherwise I greed.

People can only think of themselves and not others.

To be fair, most people who are complaining about ninjas and losing loot rolls are only thinking of themselves. Since the complaint thread stems from THEM losing a roll on something. The issue isn't fueled by altruism. It's fueled by people thinking of themselves and what they lost a roll on.

To be fair, most people who are complaining about ninjas and losing loot rolls are only thinking of themselves. Since the complaint thread stems from THEM losing a roll on something. The issue isn't fueled by altruism. It's fueled by people thinking of themselves and what they lost a roll on.

Or it could be that most people complaining about loot ninjas are concerned with stopping the problem entirely for the good of the community as a whole. Otherwise it'd just be sob stories on items lost as opposed to naming names and suggesting wide-spread solutions.

Or it could be that most people complaining about loot ninjas are concerned with stopping the problem entirely for the good of the community as a whole. Otherwise it'd just be sob stories on items lost as opposed to naming names and suggesting wide-spread solutions.

Nah. Most of these threads are sob stories on items, and then naming names out of a sense of vengeance. I'm sure folks will assuage their own egos by convincing themselves that they are trying to help others. But these threads always stem from someone being the loser on a roll they feel they should have been entitled to being the only person to roll on said item.

And the wide spread solution offered is 9 times out of 10 based on some sort of restriction that involves locking others out of rolls that people feel they should again be the only one rolling on the item for.

There is no altruism at work here. Just different levels of self interest. Which is fine with me. Just you know, folks shouldn't be trying to delude themselves into thinking they're bringing this complaint to the community out of some desire to assist the greater good.

Let's examine this thread's original post, just to see how it plays out:

I have always utterly and despised people who needed on items they can not possibly use and win them. only to sell them rather than a person who could use it get it.

Right there the original poster shows that their hatred of others fuels the creation of this thread. That's not really looking out for the greater good.

First Esseles run:Sentinal ninjas my chest piece

Second run:Sage ninjas my boots

No other troopers were in the group except me.

Note the usage of the word "my." My chest piece. My boots. The loot has just dropped. It's open to a roll. Technically it's no one's item at this point. But the OP is assuming it is theirs already. This demonstrates that the OP has created this thread out of self interest, not altruism.

Are these people brain dead or something? Or using it for their companions? Hell If I know but This is really annoying me. I've sent a ticket and I doubt i'll get anything but the "OH THANKS FOR REPORTING THIS PERSON BUT SCREW YOU" macro'd response.

Ugh. Just hate

And the original post finishes up with an attack on people, a statement of how annoying this is to the OP, and the revelation that the OP sent in a customer service ticket to have punitive action taken against the person that won the roll.

I just don't believe this thread was created with the intention of serving the greater good and helping others. Least not when I read the original post's words.

Here's my tips on dealing with ninja looters:

I play this game trying to focus on having fun and dealing with things I can control. That means I try not to let the behavior of others get to me. Because I can't control the behavior of others. If a piece of gear is extremely important to me, and it is something I greatly desire to have on my character I try my best to go after it with a group of friends or guildmates. People I can trust. People who tend to have more altruism inherent in their gameplay. People who actually care about me getting improvements as much as I care about them getting improvements. This tends to avoid loot issues for the most part.

This means when I PUG I tend to be very laidback about the kind of behavior that crops up in random groups I'm placed in by the LFG tool. These are strangers. I don't know them. I don't care about them. And the feelings are mutual. I have zero control over what buttons they push. And no matter what happens, there's a good chance that even if I try to talk to them about something that I feel might have been unjust, I will largely be ignored.

So when I PUG I try my best to go into the situation realizing what can happen.

In short, if a piece of gear is super duper important to you ... get some help from players you trust. It's really the easiest, most drama-free way to acquire the item.

Crafting materials are perhaps the hardest to form a policy on. On a single occasion I've seen it announced at the beginning of an op that everyone should need on mats. If no such announcement is made, I'll wait a moment and need if I see anyone else needing on it, otherwise I greed.

On our server we do inter-guild ops and most of our Prog groups are made up of 2 or 3 guilds. Our way to solve the 'crafting mats issue' was to random all mats chests. We do enough runs per week so that most people will get something and most of us now can RE a lot of stuff so mats aren't a huge issue anymore.

When i do run my daily FP i'm usually group lead on my Tank and i'll bring my own healer along just so i know i'll actually get healed :p then we pick up 2 random dps and go from there. I found 2 ways to stop ninja rolls. First as group lead set loot to master looter that way people can roll for it and then you will generally know if they need it or not. Secondly if you don't want to do that you can quite easily boot them from the group and pick up another dps

So. yeah I'm wondering what the point of this thread is? we all know ninjas are out there, whether through ignorance or idiocy but making a thread on the forums tying to get some validation for you butt-hurt feeling is just as immature. You clearly know what a ninja is and that they exist, this is a pointless thread can we get it locked now.

I play this game trying to focus on having fun and dealing with things I can control. That means I try not to let the behavior of others get to me. Because I can't control the behavior of others.

This means when I PUG I tend to be very laidback about the kind of behavior that crops up in random groups I'm placed in by the LFG tool. These are strangers. I don't know them. [...] I have zero control over what buttons they push.

Hey, that's (for the most parts ;-) a very wise post, cudos for that! If everybody followed that, playing the game would be a lot more fun. Ultimately, any experience including more people than just yourself, will confront you with any imaginable kind of people. Tolerance in the best case and indifference in the worst case is the wise player's healthiest way of reacting to that. I guess...

Recently I got called out for needing on a biometric crystal alloy since I can't make a rakata whatever stim (I'm a cybertech). I politely educated the person that all crafting skills can in fact use those materials, and he seemed to understand it.

When the game was new and those materials were in fact rare, needing on them was a DB move. But now that the market is so flooded on the GTM that it is hardly worth selling them, when someone clicks need, I shrug my shoulders and move on.

So much hate and problems could be avoided if the lootsystem got changed to common sense like many other MMOs has done to great success.

I disagree with your assessment of other MMOs. Every MMO's loot system has a flaw. Not going to go into details here. Suffice it to say, that some are too restrictive and some are not restrictive enough.

The solution is actually VERY simple...

COMMUNICATION!!!!!

If you are in a group, in a particular FP looking for a specific piece of gear, then TELL THE REST OF THE GROUP!!!!. I guarantee that the group will listen. And if one person decides to be a DB and click need anyway, they have just alienated three players not just one.

Need for your spec, greed for everything else. I don't mind under geared folks needing on crafting mats in FP's since I give them the benefit of the doubt for actual crafting. Besides, those mats are stupid cheap on the GTN anyway if you really need them. If something REALLY useful drops for a companion (and no one else needs it) I ALWAYS ask first before needing on it, that way if anyone else wants to need it for their companion then they should have the opportunity to need on it as well. It's very refreshing to note that most people are pretty gracious about it.

I'm not, all but a few runs my least geared companion is better geared than everyone (but me) in the group, so I usually pass on everything that could possibly be useful to anyone in the group or their companions. However, that does not mean I do watch rolls and get upset about ninjas. Now when I get a group in the close to the same gear, I will greed.

I even pass on biometric crystals, have over 100 and our guild has between 300 and 400 in the bank. I needed 3 when I first hit 50 on my first toon, but since then I have only greeded until I started worrying about storage space. Still feel like a idiot paying 100k for the first one to make my rakata stim.

I am living proof that you can get very well geared without ever using need. If you are nice and treat people with respect, they will want to raid with you. So for 6 months I was doing 3 raids a week on one toon, until I started to get burned out and toned it down to a one group and maybe a guild fun/comm run.

Edited by mikebevo

I disagree with your assessment of other MMOs. Every MMO's loot system has a flaw. Not going to go into details here. Suffice it to say, that some are too restrictive and some are not restrictive enough.

The solution is actually VERY simple...

COMMUNICATION!!!!!

If you are in a group, in a particular FP looking for a specific piece of gear, then TELL THE REST OF THE GROUP!!!!. I guarantee that the group will listen. And if one person decides to be a DB and click need anyway, they have just alienated three players not just one.

Nah, this does not work in the current PUG situation, you can check the thousands of posts regarding this matter since launch.

In every groupfinder flashpoint I do I ask the team only to need on items they can use themselves, in most cases nobody answers. Communication is not the strongest part of most PUGs nowdays through groupfinder. Your guarantee that everyone listens is sadly not worth much since I know it is the opposite.

You can´t check every boss for every specific item and tell the team not to roll on it, you discover in almost all cases afterwards that someone has taken the item and then it is to late.

It is much better to have a common sense lootsystem where you can need roll on the items your class uses and restrict all other classes from needing it. Greed will be open for everyone to use and if someone wants it for a companion/sell it/give it to a alt/eat it the greed option is the best to use.

Anyways the players that wants to roll on every item will always argue that a better lootsystem is a bad idea, question is why :tran_wink:

So. yeah I'm wondering what the point of this thread is? we all know ninjas are out there, whether through ignorance or idiocy but making a thread on the forums tying to get some validation for you butt-hurt feeling is just as immature. You clearly know what a ninja is and that they exist, this is a pointless thread can we get it locked now.

This time a million.

Were beating a dead horse here people.:(

This time a million.

Were beating a dead horse here people.:(

And new threads will be created and hundreds of new posts will be made. Check for yourself by searching, the lootsystem has been discussed over and over again and then some more.

If the anarchy lootsystem would be changed to NOT allow ninjas to roam free, I am sure the community would be much happier :tran_cool:

Edited by Icestar

I have always utterly and despised people who needed on items they can not possibly use and win them. only to sell them rather than a person who could use it get it.

First Esseles run:Sentinal ninjas my chest piece

Second run:Sage ninjas my boots

No other troopers were in the group except me.

Are these people brain dead or something? Or using it for their companions? Hell If I know but This is really annoying me. I've sent a ticket and I doubt i'll get anything but the "OH THANKS FOR REPORTING THIS PERSON BUT SCREW YOU" macro'd response.

Ugh. Just hate

Your experience of ninja'ing is so insignificant to what I experienced earlier playing on my commando alt, while clearing the trash mobs just after Firebrand & storm in EC SM PuG run (I am in a guild but my commando isn't guilded yet) one of the tanks decided to use their aggro dump to stealth while the rest of us were in combat busy clearing the first mobs, went straight for the chest, ninja'd the stabs for themselves then DC'ed.