Advice on choosing a dps class for ops/ hm flashpoints

Hi all. I'm an off and on player and have recently gotten back into swtor . I have a 55 guardian tank and a 55 vanguard that I use for pvp. What I would like to do is roll is a new toon during this 12x exp and would like to go dps. I guess my question is what dps class seems best for running this content ( ops and hm fp). Was leaning towards commando As I like the idea of being ranged but I am open to all suggestions from players who have experence with dps pve classes. Thanks

Commando seems like a good choice. Ranged dps have it a bit easier most of the time, commandos have good dps, good aoes, heavy armor, off-healing utility, fairly easy rotations. For flashpoints, the 360° knockback is handy to send mobs flying down bottomless pits.

Oh and you can queue as healer if the group finder is taking too long. Always nice to have options.

Edited by Loc_n_lol

For mercenary (pardon the imp language) for more static fights I like arsenal (mid tree) because of it's simple rotation for HM's to remember so I don't have to reset an awkward rotation on a new target that suddenly springs up, plus it is much easier to deal massive amounts of damage. But in fights where you are moving around a lot (say HM Corrupter Zero with all the different mines, lasers, aoes, whatnot) definitely go pyrotech, as the sudden need for movement won't affect your rotation or damage output, and if played right can deal just as much damage as arsenal, though it can have more heat management problems which is another thing to worry about in HM. Which is why my default is Arsenal, though try to familiarize yourself with all dps trees of the class you choose as it gives you much more utility in different fights as opposed to limiting your potential.

So I've played all advanced classes across both republic and imperial sides.

Commando/Mercenary - Good survivability due to heavy armor - Gunnery/Arsenal is quite a friendly to use rotation, doesn't perform quite as high but still very respectable, bursty and easy for target switching - Assault/Pyrotech is the higher parsing tree for single target fights, ammo/heat management is a little trickier and not very bursty - both have access to off heals, and a semi-reasonable aoe heal.

Sage/Sorc - doesn't take the hits quite as well, but has some good survivability abilities - Telekintics/Lightning is great AOE damage and is good at target switching and decent burst - Balance/Madness is currently parsing higher but again isn't as bursty and a lot of target switching can hamper dps if not done correctly - both have access to off heals, no aoe heal, but balance/madness if specced right has a heal built into your dots.

Gunslinger/Sniper - Takes the hits better than the Sage/sorc due to medium armor, but no heals, also more range in playstyles due to having 3 dps trees as opposed to the others having 2 - I'm not really familiar with their current parsing numbers, but understand they all perform quite well.

My main for over 18months was a gunnery commando, I was able to solo a lot of content including many of the HM flashpoints and greatly enjoyed the class overall, I'm now maining a vanguard tank due to my raid groups requirements, but hope the information above is useful to you.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it .Lots to think about. As far as commando is concerned, besides aim what other stat. Should I be focusing on ( crit, pwr, acc,).?

Thanks again for the responses

This guide should help with the stats. In short, get your ranged Accuracy to 100% (110% tech), 0 Alacrity for both specs.