I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

TheBBP

Yes. Its not only their "thing" but its also a major selling point and the exclusion of SGR's gives BioWare a bad name since people are expecting it

But besides that yes I think its an important part of the story

This may be true for you but unfortunately it's just not the case.

What's objective is that none of the romance arcs are important to anything. Additionally, it's never been a major selling point. Has BW stated that SGRA would be a post launch addition? Yes. Have they stated when or how they would be implemented? No.

The things that are a major selling point of this game are Star Wars and MMO. BW needs to focus on those two things before worry about something that isn't repeatable, has no impact on the outcome of either your personal story or the uber plot, and caters to a small minority of players.

Edited by Telaan

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has no impact on the outcome of either your personal story or the uber plot, and caters to a small minority of players.

And just how do you know that the SGR NPC's on Makeb won't be like or end up like Jaxo was to Male Troopers? The fact is, is that at this point, you really have no idea if they will be or not.

And just how do you know that the SGR NPC's on Makeb won't be like or end up like Jaxo was to Male Troopers? The fact is, is that at this point, you really have no idea if they will be or not.

Firstly Jaxo is not a companion. Secondly, BW can create sweeping character stories without including romance arcs of any kind so that the story is compelling and yet no resources of any kind are devoted to it. For the foreseeable future romance should be left to roleplay and the legacy system.

Edited by Telaan

Firstly Jaxo is not a companion. Secondly, BW can sweeping character stories without including romance arcs of any kind so that the story is compelling and yet no resources of any kind are devoted to it. For the foreseeable future romance should be left to roleplay and the legacy system.

No where did I say that Jaxo was a Companion, but that she was a truly Romancable NPC.

whom for Male Troopers can carry on a Relationship beyond just flirting in the Quest with once the Quest is done you don't speak to them ever again. With Jaxo, after you talk to her, you can go back to her AND she shows up later in the Trooper's Class Story.

However, BioWare has become known for INCLUDING Romances INTO their Stories. So uh, yeah. While they could do that, they've become known for including it. Romances between Players can lead to Real Life problems [see TBBT Episode involving WoW & their "encounters"] whereas Romances between NPC's/Companions won't lead to the same potential Real Life Issues. And thankfully BioWare doesn't agree with your "theory" of Relationships remaining through RP with other Players and the Legacy System. Also, Romances W/ NPC's & Companions were in the game longer then the Legacy System and Roley Playing Player Romances can STILL be done in the Game and don't require anything from BioWare.

No where did I say that Jaxo was a Companion, but that she was a truly Romancable NPC.

whom for Male Troopers can carry on a Relationship beyond just flirting in the Quest with once the Quest is done you don't speak to them ever again. With Jaxo, after you talk to her, you can go back to her AND she shows up later in the Trooper's Class Story.

However, BioWare has become known for INCLUDING Romances INTO their Stories. So uh, yeah. While they could do that, they've become known for including it. Romances between Players can lead to Real Life problems [see TBBT Episode involving WoW & their "encounters"] whereas Romances between NPC's/Companions won't lead to the same potential Real Life Issues. And thankfully BioWare doesn't agree with your "theory" of Relationships remaining through RP with other Players and the Legacy System. Also, Romances W/ NPC's & Companions were in the game longer then the Legacy System and Roley Playing Player Romances can STILL be done in the Game and don't require anything from BioWare.

BW has also become known for making a poor MMO for several reasons. BW's priority should be establishing a solid MMO that attracts new players and keeps current ones. This is currently not happening at the level a Star Wars IP should.

However, that bit about creating real life problems is inconsequential to the issue at hand. It's all fine and dandy that romances were ingame prior to the legacy system. But again, this game went from WoW killer to F2P in a year. I cannot stress priorities enough. I'm not advocating the removal of existing romances or the complete blockage of it forever, only for the foreseeable future.

The difference between you and me is: you say it has to be now, and I say it should be done later.

Edited by Telaan

This may be true for you but unfortunately it's just not the case.

What's objective is that none of the romance arcs are important to anything. Additionally, it's never been a major selling point. Has BW stated that SGRA would be a post launch addition? Yes. Have they stated when or how they would be implemented? No.

The things that are a major selling point of this game are Star Wars and MMO. BW needs to focus on those two things before worry about something that isn't repeatable, has no impact on the outcome of either your personal story or the uber plot, and caters to a small minority of players.

Arent important? Thats purely from your point of view. You might as well say its not important whether you choose Dark Side or Light Side. People give value to their in-game romances and thus it is important.

Major selling point? No. I didnt mean it was, I meant to say it was something that's expected from BioWare since they revolutionized the gaming industry by doing it so well. And in Mass Effect/Dragon Age is actually was a selling point since it was used in their marketing.

Did BioWare say they'd make more Ops post-launch? Yes. Did they say when and how? No.

Your argument doesnt hold up

Edited by DarthZak

Arent important? Thats purely from your point of view. You might as well say its not important whether you choose Dark Side or Light Side. People give value to their in-game romances and thus it is important.

Major selling point? No. I didnt mean it was, I meant to say it was something that's expected from BioWare since they revolutionized the gaming industry by doing it so well. And in Mass Effect/Dragon Age is actually was a selling point since it was used in their marketing.

Did BioWare say they'd make more Ops post-launch? Yes. Did they say when and how? No.

Your argument doesnt hold up

Except side story romance arcs aren't the foundation of the game. You're trying to argue apples and watermelons, as one massively outweighs the other and aren't remotely similar to one another.

There are key mechanics and features missing that are required to attract new players and keep existing ones to an MMO. Until those issues are addressed SGRA or romance arcs of any kid should be shelved....not abandoned...shelved.

The fact that you personally interpret his title to mean one thing does not make it true. He clearly defines his position in both his original post and all subsequent posts.

Additionally, SGRA should continue to take a backseat until content and mechanics which draw both Star Wars fans and MMO players have been sufficiently developed and introduced.

I'm not "personally interpreting" his title to mean anything. I simply stated what it says.

I do not understand the argument you're making in your second paragraph. You want "content and mechanics which draw both Star Wars fans and MMO players" before SGRA. Let's clear up the confusion in that SGRA is not something special. It's not like putting in a new flashpoint, operation or warzone. SGRA is simply story. Story is being put in. Some of that story will appeal to those who enjoy same-sex romance. That is it. So, the argument you're making is that you want more content, but you want content to take a backseat.

See, I am a Star Wars fan, and I am an MMO player. I've been playing them since 1999. And I want more story. I want that content. And I'm hardly alone in that. People who want new flashpoints, operations and warzones have been given new things throughout the past year. It's time to put more story in the game. And, if same-sex romance is a part of that, all the better.

Except side story romance arcs aren't the foundation of the game. You're trying to argue apples and watermelons, as one massively outweighs the other and aren't remotely similar to one another.

There are key mechanics and features missing that are required to attract new players and keep existing ones to an MMO. Until those issues are addressed SGRA or romance arcs of any kid should be shelved....not abandoned...shelved.

I agree except I would say abandoned....Just seems really sad when people need any kind of romance "text" in a game......... besides the internet provides for all flavor of "tastes" 24/7 if you need your "fix".

I agree except I would say abandoned....Just seems really sad when people need any kind of romance "text" in a game......... besides the internet provides for all flavor of "tastes" 24/7 if you need your "fix".

You think romances are that type of material? Im guessing youre not over the age of 15 right?

Why do people watch romantic movies? Its all some lines in a movie but people enjoy it and not because they want to get their "fix"

You think romances are that type of material? Im guessing youre not over the age of 15 right?

Why do people watch romantic movies? Its all some lines in a movie but people enjoy it and not because they want to get their "fix"

This is not a romantic themed game it's a star wars themed game. And do I hate romantic scenes in a action flic? Yes.......

Sorry in advance for the length of this post.

As many of us posters have commented, none of us really has any idea of the true numbers of players who are interested in any particular aspect of the game.

In an earlier career, I was a consumer market research consultant… In that field, there is a tried and true concept of dividing the market into segments – subgroups that are each as homogenous internally as possible, yet at the same time as different between subgroups as possible. Intelligently done – i.e. through asking the most relevant questions that bear on potential motivations (for that particular market) – this approach allows the company to make the best decisions about how to market their product, and to whom.

If BioWare were a beer company, it’d probably have a brand for each segment. Each beer brand would have a name that appeals to its segment, would be advertised in segment-specific media (e.g. on sports programs for a ‘young guy’ brand), would have a taste optimized for that segment, etc etc. For a different type of product, the company might decide that they can go after only one segment, and that specific segment would become their target audience. Or for yet another type of product, the company might try to appeal to multiple segments by building in specific features that would appeal to each segment. I suspect BioWare would take the last approach.

Long-winded, but my point is that there are segments within the SWTOR player base. YOUR segment sees the levelling as just a path to the end-game, and sees the end-game PvP and PvE repeatable content as the primary point of the game. MY segment will likely drop out at the point where all that there is to do is dailies… the levelling and the story and romance arcs that go with levelling IS the point of the game, not just a means to an end, and the end-game sounds utterly boring.

If BioWare isn’t a bunch of complete lunatics, they’ll be doing all kinds of market research to maximize the appeal of SWTOR to ALL segments that they want to market to. That’d include qualitative research – in-depth interviews with small numbers of respondents, to identify the emotions and the fervour or lack of fervour with which opinions are held, and to concept-test candidate ideas. Also to probe deeply into any quantitative findings that puzzle BioWare. And it would include quantitative research – surveys among large numbers of respondents, to attach trustworthy numbers to the segments and to validate the qualitative findings.

My prediction: we’ll see BioWare continuing to add end-game PvP/PvE content and new story content (which will include romances, both OGR and SGR) in order to get all segments to stay with the game year in year out. Seen in this light, both types of content are equally important.

The other side of the coin is the question of attracting new players. I’m a keen gamer, but all I’ve been playing in the past is single player games. The ‘standard/traditional MMO’ features that I’d heard about were a huge deterrent to my playing any MMOs. The thought of having to do PvP, for example, repelled me. But when I heard that there was a Star Wars game…. which was done by BioWare…. and could be played without having to do ‘crap’ like PVP… and had stories and romances (probably SGR romances, oh joy! :p )…. It was a huge turn-on. I couldn’t wait to play the game. And I’ve loved it (except for the bait-and-switch re SGRs :( ). Personally, I think there’s a lot of players like me. And I think BioWare thinks so too.

Edited by markcymru

This is not a romantic themed game it's a star wars themed game. And do I hate romantic scenes in a action flic? Yes.......

The style you play (action packed) isnt the same as how others play. I play for story content hence my 14 characters.

Romances are a vital part of the Star Wars lore. Leia and Han, Luke and Mara Jade, Revan and Bastila, Anakin and Padme etcetc

Just let capitolism speak! Because it will have the last word . I used to love the raspberry filled powder doughnut hostess used to make but they got discontinued I am guessing because they didn't sell and a the group that wanted them just was not big enough and it was just not lucrative enough for hostess to continue producing them, well I really do wish B.W made Raspberry powder doughnuts.:(

I don't agree or disagree with the inclusion of SGR in this game right now (proponant of LGBT rights in real life, though), but I disagree with the notion that including them takes away from other areas of development. There are multiple teams in this game and each handles different areas of development. Programmers aren't going to be hired to write, and artists aren't going to be hired to write code. The team focused on flashpoints won't have anything to do with the space stuff. Bug fixing should be a priority, and as far as I can see they are doing that. But you can't put a writer working on SGR on the bug fixing team. (S)he won't know what to do. :rolleyes:

The style you play (action packed) isnt the same as how others play. I play for story content hence my 14 characters.

Romances are a vital part of the Star Wars lore. Leia and Han, Luke and Mara Jade, Revan and Bastila, Anakin and Padme etcetc

Notice the orientation theme you got going there?

Ya, because the movies came out in the 80's. Well there's also Juhani and Belaya, and Goran Beviin and Medrit Vasur.

Honestly, that's a pretty weak and mean spirited defense. You're in the wrong place, man. At least the people saying it takes too much development time have half a leg to stand on.

Ok, I will add Juhani & Belaya along with Goran Beviin & Medrit Vasur are a gay Mandalorian couple with Goran being one of Boba Fett's most trusted Lieutenants, interim Mandalore for Boba Fett while he was away, helped train Jaina Solo, oh and Goran & Medrit have an adopted Mandalorian daughter named Dinua Jeban

Oh Im sorry, you wanted SGR examples? Revan and Juhani (if you make Revan female), Goran and Medrit are a few examples

Whilst there havent been many canon SGR's in the Star Wars universe (not even in the EU) that doesnt set a precedent for the future. It has been done before and people liked it enough that Goran and Medrit were included in several books and that Juhani was one of the more interesting companions in KOTOR

Anyway your argument was that romance didnt matter, I proved you wrong in that. Nice try on the deflection though