Aimbots? Cheating? Huh!? How?

Twilightbourne

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hearing a LOT about this. Lots of folks complaining that so and so is aimbotting or so and so is hacking somehow.... is that really whats going on? Why hasn't this been squashed already?

Gonna go with a vocal minority that can't shoot straight and assumes anyone that can is using a third party aid/hack.

Or, conversely, the same excuse bad players have used for losing for years, "No one can beat me fair, he HAS to be cheating."

Likely one of two things:

1 Plasma rail gun applies the dot, they fly out of line of sight from the offending gunship, notice they are still taking damage then cry hack

2 Quell/Pike locks on with one missile, fires, switches to it's secondary, locks on again while the first one is in flight, hits with a double whammy then they again, cry hack

Likely one of two things:

1 Plasma rail gun applies the dot, they fly out of line of sight from the offending gunship, notice they are still taking damage then cry hack

2 Quell/Pike locks on with one missile, fires, switches to it's secondary, locks on again while the first one is in flight, hits with a double whammy then they again, cry hack

I got accused of hacking today for the first time. I was flying my mastered Pike and the other team was full of two ship lowbies. I went to a sat that had 5 of them and it was like shooting fish in a barrel, they didn't try to break lock or anything and I quickly killed all 5 and then used my heavy lasers to kill the turrets fast (ignore armor makes this so easy). A lot of new players getting farmed fast when they don't understand the game mechanics is probably making them cry foul.

The only kind of "cheating" I think is happening is the intentional laggers. I've seen a few more cases of it lately but they usually end up just crashing into the sat anyway.

I got accused of hacking today for the first time. I was flying my mastered Pike and the other team was full of two ship lowbies. I went to a sat that had 5 of them and it was like shooting fish in a barrel, they didn't try to break lock or anything and I quickly killed all 5 and then used my heavy lasers to kill the turrets fast (ignore armor makes this so easy). A lot of new players getting farmed fast when they don't understand the game mechanics is probably making them cry foul.

The only kind of "cheating" I think is happening is the intentional laggers. I've seen a few more cases of it lately but they usually end up just crashing into the sat anyway.

Intentional laggers can be handled quite easily with the Pike. They often won't get lock or launch warning in time to do anything about the respawn headed their way. Had one accuse me of hacking, because insta-lock. I told him he may want to restart his PC and reset his router :D

I did once see a guy orbit the satellite in a perfect ring that seemed to follow one of the contours of the satellite. I blew the guy away a few times and never did he seem to dodge.

It might have been a bot but then were talking about a basic follow this course kind of thing.

I did once see a guy orbit the satellite in a perfect ring that seemed to follow one of the contours of the satellite. I blew the guy away a few times and never did he seem to dodge.

It might have been a bot but then were talking about a basic follow this course kind of thing.

Yes those ones exist. He was AFK.

Edited by Sadishist

Myeah, I don't want to leap to conclusions whenever I see people jump about from lag, but a few times now I've had people start and stop at far too beneficial times to not get slightly suspicious.

Edited by Bleeters

I assume the guy was referring to my 44 percent or higher accuracy with a flashfire.

44%? nice shooting. if that was 95%+, i'd be concerned. I've managed 40% plus in a few games with a Blackbolt.

44%? carry on!

I havn't seen anything so untowards yet that i'm prepared to cry: hack!

Edited by dancezwithnubz

44%? nice shooting. if that was 95%+, i'd be concerned. I've managed 40% plus in a few games with a Blackbolt.

44%? carry on!

I havn't seen anything so untowards yet that i'm prepared to cry: hack!

Well that was kind of my point - you'd think that if i was using an aimbot, my aim would be higher than, say, 70 percent. Not 40-50 percent.

It can also just be simple lag. You know those ships that jump around the screen all over the place... Yeah.. if you blow them up they'll swear you shot them through a wall or while they were behind you or they were "totally out of range".

On their screen they are, on everyone else's screen they got rocked fair and square. They'll also complain about missiles going right through their targets, and being unable to hit targets that are sitting still right in front of them (because the target is actually moving and 10000m away)

Nothing they can really do about it, but it happens to people.

I get it sometimes myself where I have a "firing delay" on my guns. and I end up having to lead with a railgun even though it's a hitscan weapon that instantly hits, because when I release the mouse button, there's sometimes a 0.1-0.2s delay before the shot actually goes off.

Well that was kind of my point - you'd think that if i was using an aimbot, my aim would be higher than, say, 70 percent. Not 40-50 percent.

in my 20+ years of gaming from pre-net through to today, i've never once used any kind of third-party hack with any game.

i have been accused of hacking many, many times.

i've built characters specifically to counter various hacks in games (bloody far-cast 'zons in D2).

i've also discovered that 99% of the time when people crai 'haxxorz!1!' it's their own misunderstanding of the game, or lag.

44%? nice. keep that **** up! i'm generally around the 25-30% mark unless i remind myself to stop spraying.

I'm not convinced that there are aimbots being used in GSF - I think most 'weird' things can be chalked down to the engine using RNG over physics to calculate hits.

After reading the 'GS are overpowered' thread, I thought I would go for a GS myself and see what the fuss was about. Just as I was charging up the rail gun and llining up a shot on an enemy heading for the node, my finger slipped off the mouse button and my gun fired.

My firing reticle was about two inches away from the target lead indicator.... HIT?!?! It's the only time I've actually said 'What the...!!!' out loud whilst playing a game. :rak_02:

I'm guessing: Large accuracy bonus from sitting still - penalty from range - penalty for being outside target lead + freakily good RNG roll + maybe a little bit of lag = impossible hit

Unless we get a GSF parser and can figure out how hits are actually calculated, we will never really know if there is cheat or if the algorithms need tweaking....

Highjinks does hack, he drinks red bull before his matches and eats 44% proof space gummies.

Gonna go with a vocal minority that can't shoot straight and assumes anyone that can is using a third party aid/hack.

Or, conversely, the same excuse bad players have used for losing for years, "No one can beat me fair, he HAS to be cheating."

got to love how everytime someone who *must* be the best player ever is killed or loses and yells "FU hack!!".

Myeah, I don't want to leap to conclusions whenever I see people jump about from lag, but a few times now I've had people start and stop at far too beneficial times to not get slightly suspicious.

This. I've seem a certain same pilots employ a convenient stutter jump to avoid a under 2k m missle lock. They seem to not lag/stutter at other times, just when you try to lock

This. I've seem a certain same pilots employ a convenient stutter jump to avoid a under 2k m missle lock. They seem to not lag/stutter at other times, just when you try to lock

I went up against a guy that kept trying this tactic but it didn't matter because he eventually crashed into the satellite every time.

I would see him flying in starting at about 15k moving normally then as soon as he hit 11500 and I started lining up a proton he would start skipping around on his way into the sat and crash. Must have tried this 5 or 6 times, but I don't get what the point was. He never got "killed" but he still kept dying and accomplished nothing.

The only reason people even bother with 'lag tricks' is because they think it will work like ti does for other games that they do work on. Fortunately it doesn't work quite as well as they would hope... seeing as lag hacks tend to only function well when servers are 'client side.'

• 2 months later...

Personally, I have noticed a few things that strike me as odd. I may be tailing an enemy at around 10,000m trying to get in range for missiles, and then all of a sudden, they vanish without any notification that they were destroyed. Just vanish into open space. Or occasionally I'll see someone zip almost instantly to another are of the map, like they went through a wormhole. Or sporadic zips which don't really go anywhere, they just keep them completely away from range.

I've also chased gunships and Fighters in my fully upgraded Dive, and I ran out of engine power whereas they continued on at full speed. Not possible unless there is a hack creating unlimited engine power.

Then of course there's always the mysterious death by an enemy when nothing is within 20,000 meters of your ship. And the instant death from a scout with full shields up. That always makes me raise an eyebrow. Nothing in a scouts arsenal has the power to destroy a Pike with one shot. Especially when there's no missile warning beforehand. There are definitely cheats at play in this game.

Lastly, I have recently been noticing a guy on my server Ebon Hawk, named "Aimbot". I've played at least 10 matches with him and his score and board position is always the same every match. 15-25 kills, 15-25 assists, 0 deaths, #1 position every match. I made a point to look at his stats ever since I saw his score the first time. Always the same.

Personally, I have noticed a few things that strike me as odd. I may be tailing an enemy at around 10,000m trying to get in range for missiles, and then all of a sudden, they vanish without any notification that they were destroyed. Just vanish into open space. Or occasionally I'll see someone zip almost instantly to another are of the map, like they went through a wormhole. Or sporadic zips which don't really go anywhere, they just keep them completely away from range.

I've also chased gunships and Fighters in my fully upgraded Dive, and I ran out of engine power whereas they continued on at full speed. Not possible unless there is a hack creating unlimited engine power.

Then of course there's always the mysterious death by an enemy when nothing is within 20,000 meters of your ship. And the instant death from a scout with full shields up. That always makes me raise an eyebrow. Nothing in a scouts arsenal has the power to destroy a Pike with one shot. Especially when there's no missile warning beforehand. There are definitely cheats at play in this game.

Lastly, I have recently been noticing a guy on my server Ebon Hawk, named "Aimbot". I've played at least 10 matches with him and his score and board position is always the same every match. 15-25 kills, 15-25 assists, 0 deaths, #1 position every match. I made a point to look at his stats ever since I saw his score the first time. Always the same.

Sounds like:

• You have a connection with intermittent latency spikes.
  • Could work on your situational awareness (it's amazing how many people who get "one shot" are actually taking 2-6 shots over a few seconds and just not realizing it's more than one hit. Though, if lag spikes happen, your client can register them all at the same time. The lack of a combat log makes this harder to notice than it is in the ground game.)
  • Don't conserve fuel as well as some of your opponents (being in a type 1 scout is not a free pass to run down any other ship if they are skilled pilots and have the right build).
  • You've met Sammy (who is good in any ship, and an absolute monster in a gunship). He shows up on TEH when we run out of targets for him on Jung Ma. It's an in joke, based on how many people have complained about being shot down by him while he's flying a gunship. If a good pilot in a mastered ship stays on him the whole battle it is sometimes possible to keep his kills below double digits. It is also possible to blow up his gunship, but it really helps to be someone like Aloriana, or Alex, or Tsukiyomi if you want to do that. I'm sure TEH has native aces that can also pull it off.

There's a bunch of ways you might be able to create 'false hits' in SWTOR, though creating a genuine aimbot that actually aimed for you would be a rather a lot of work. The other problem, is that while sending the server fraudulent hit information might be reasonably doable, a complete piloting AI would be full time work for quite some time for one person, or even for a whole developer team (see complaint threads on, "why is there no GSF PvE?"). So you might get a decent hit percentage with an 'aimbot' but it wouldn't do a thing to keep annoyed scouts from repeatedly slaughtering you.

Survival is a lot more complex than just hitting, and more than anything else if you want good numbers in a gunship you need to know how to survive when the competent pilots on the other side decide that killing you is a priority. Basically, if you have at least one decent pilot on your side you can be sure that a person is behind the controls of any opposing gunship that has more kills than deaths.

Edited by Ramalina