Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

frauzet
10.05.2018 , 09:15 AM | #6171
Somehow it's already Friday -- again...

This week’s SFWC prompt, this time with a special message from Striges:

Week of October 5, 2018:

What Might Have Been: Almost everyone wonders how their life might have turned out if they’d made different choices, been born in different circumstances, or combination of both. How does your character answer this question? Suppose they were cast in a different role in your story or as another one of your characters? How would their lives be different? How would your story be different? Explore what might have been with your character this week, either as a dream, a discussion with another character, or a full-blown AU. Thanks to Lady_Thorne and Lord_Thorne on the SWTOR forums for this prompt. (Special message for the SWTOR crowd: thanks to everyone participating in what has to be the longest continually running forum thread in MMORPG history. Still going since 2012.)

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Cooperation–Some characters are loners by nature but even so, they can’t do everything by themselves. They’ll have to cooperate with others. Whether it’s a willing partnership where they all gain or coerced and barely tolerated, there’s ample room for conflict. Maybe they plan to betray their partner at the first opportunity. Maybe they prefer to remain on good terms. Maybe it’s an alliance of necessity and they’ll part on neutral ground. Whatever the reason, whatever the outcome, this week write about your character cooperating with others to achieve a goal.

In A Rut–Doing the same thing over and over. No one want to be stuck there. It could be your character, dissatisfied with where their career is going. It could just as well be the writer, bored with what feels like the same plots and situations. Shake it up. Throw in something unexpected. Put your character in a place you never thought they’d be. Try something different and see where it goes. Or, alternately, let your character complain about the sameness.

If you do have an idea for a prompt send me a PM, I'll pass it on to Striges over on tumblr.
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

Lady_Thorne
10.05.2018 , 11:19 PM | #6172
I've known this about Hiero for a long time. (At least in some iterations of my story...) I chose not to actually write about being there, just setting the stage. But it is what it is, as they say.

Prompt: Never Going There and That's Final!
Main Character: Hiero Thorne of Thorne Line Shipping (class: smuggler/scrapper)
Setting: XS Freighter (Danged if I can remember the name; something Thorney)
Title: Home Sweet Prison

Spoiler

frauzet
10.09.2018 , 09:59 AM | #6173
I found a short snippet in my WIP folder. I wrote it a while back when the Female-Ciner-AU for Caught pestered me a bit more than most days.

Over on the SFWC-Tumblr Striges reposted an old prompt today:

Synchronicity - Sometimes coincidences happen up close and sometimes they happen lightyears away. Sometimes it’s a plan clicking into place and sometimes it’s totally unintended. Sometimes it makes things seem like they’re meant to be…sometimes it makes it seem like they’re really not. Write about a time very similar events happened to your characters at the same time and possibly at a distance.

Since the prompt seems to fit, I decided to post the snippet here, too:

Title: Déjà vu
Characters: female Ciner, Thorns
Spoilers for Imperial Taris
Spoiler

frauzet
10.12.2018 , 09:45 AM | #6174
Fresh from the tumblr SFWC. Thanks to Striges!
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of October 12, 2018:

Listen: More important than being able to act, perhaps, is the ability to listen. To hear someone voice their concerns or point of view without filtering through their own experience or opinion. When has your character really listened to another one in your story? They need not be converted, but they ought to gain understanding. Some characters don’t care; that’s fine and valid. This week, let your character be the quiet one and really listen to someone else in the story, then show what they do with their new perspective.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Birthdays–Does your character celebrate their birthday? What do they do? Have a big party or an intimate gathering with a few close friends? Or do they hope no one notices? Perhaps they eternally claim some age they like the best, whether it’s a birthday past or one yet to come. Maybe they neither know nor care. Living another year might not mean much to them. Maybe they mark a day of different personal significance. Or maybe a significant other throws a surprise party whether your character wants it or not. Consider birthdays this week, and what they mean for your character.

Coincidence–Coincidences that start or complicate a plot are often overlooked, but those that end it are not. Why? It feels fake. It breaks the suspension of disbelief. In an age of word processors, where adding foreshadowing is as easy as typing a new paragraph, it smacks of poor plotting. This week? Who cares. In a make-believe world where everything happens for a reason, this time the reason is because you need it to. Consider it an exercise in how not to tie up a story, or how to recognize what not to do. Sometimes it’s fun to write bad.

As a reminder, you are welcome to pick any prompt you like, or no prompt at all.
If you do have an idea for a prompt you can send a PM to me. I'll pass your idea along to Striges over on the tumblr SFWC

Lord_Thorne
10.18.2018 , 05:00 PM | #6175
@frauzet: nice! Thana Vesh is one of my favorite NPCs! I always look forward to Imperial Taris because of her

Inspired by the prompt “How Hard Can It Be?” ...I know, that was -weeks- ago! But the scene kept bugging me, and still deserves a much better treatment, but dangit, sometimes you just need to get something done and off the to-do list!
Spoiler
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

frauzet
10.20.2018 , 11:00 AM | #6176
@Lord_Thorne: You may have had me sniveling a little bit there at the end. Kudos!

Aaaaand it's already Saturday. Here is the next prompt from over at tumblr. Still warm, only a day old.

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of October 19, 2018:

Oblivious: Not everyone is observant, and even the most vigilant character misses something on occasion. When did they miss something obvious? It could be a physical object or an idea. The proverbial elephant in the room or a solution that’s staring them in the face. Maybe your character just overlooks cues everyone else sees. What happens when someone else points it out?

Nicknames–Does your character have an in-story nickname? How did they earn it? Was it accidentally bestowed or deliberately cultivated? Do they prefer it to their given name or hate it? Give it out or hope no one ever finds out? Do they even know they have one? Maybe their enemies (or friends!) only use it behind their back. Or is your character the one giving nicknames to everyone else?

Good Fortune- Things are looking up. Maybe your character finally won the lottery, a game of poker or pazzak, or just won the flip and don’t have to do dishes. Maybe they found a parking meter with time left, or maybe they managed to catch the last transport off-world before the quarantine. Maybe something that looked bad on the surface turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Luck can be about big things or small. Give your character some good fortune this week.

If you do have an idea for a prompt send me a PM, I'll pass it on to Striges over on tumblr.

frauzet
10.27.2018 , 01:59 AM | #6177
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of October 26, 2018:

Comfort Food: It might not be a favorite. It doesn’t have to be from childhood, though it often is. It might not always be the same thing, depending on circumstances. Sometimes, preparation is as much a part of the comfort as consuming. When all else fails to dispel your character’s demons, what food(s) do they turn to for comfort?

Burning the Candle at Both Ends–Too busy. There’s too much to do and not enough time to do it. Maybe it was bad scheduling or an accident or problems encountered along the way, but whatever the reason, your character has to work hard to do it. What was it? Why are they working so hard? What do they hope to gain? Is it temporary or a chronic issue for them? Can they prevent the situation, or will it happen again? This week, write about a time when your character burned a little too bright.

Ceremony - All cultures have ceremonies. Graduation, marriage, retirement; religious, civil, or social to name just a few. Does your character come from a culture with an elaborate coming-of-age celebration? Do they feel out of place at a companion’s promotion? This week, consider the various official rituals your character has taken part in or attended as a guest or observer.

Feldraeth
10.27.2018 , 10:47 AM | #6178
Hey again, it’s been some time since I last posted.
These are excerpts from something I wrote for NanoWriMo last year that I thought were worth posting somewhere aside from my hard drive (and yes, I am going through it to get back into the swing of writing for this year’s one).

Prompt: Listen, Oblivious, Cooperation
Title: Killik Chaos
Perspective: Roan, Kid Sith
Word Count 2,296
Spoilers: Early Alderaan side mission, SW companions available as of Alderaan
Note: Roan is not the typical Sith Warrior the players follow, but he does that storyline, more or less. As such, some aspects of his character, physicality and personality will differ from expected. One of the more notable examples of this is his age. Given the first person perspectives used in my pieces, it may not be readily apparent, but he is approximately eight years old at time of Alderaan.

Spoiler

Feldraeth
10.27.2018 , 10:48 AM | #6179
What's this, a double post? No, just a double parter split because of word limits.

Prompt: Oblivious, Nicknames, Senses,
Title: The Lanthinide Mine
Perspective: Roan, Kid Sith
Word Count 4,906
Spoilers: Early Alderaan side mission, personal details regarding Roan.

Spoiler

Kitar
10.27.2018 , 12:03 PM | #6180
Quick run by comment :P @ Feldraeth
Spoiler