Policy for Non English Speakers

Sentanta

Just want to ask because I cant see anything in the T & C's about this - what is policy on languages used on servers?

There is only English - German and French servers - but there is many other languages and nationalities that play - I have just responded to a fellow national in our native language and I got a whisper from some player saying that if I don't use English I will be reported because it is an English server!

Can someone tell me what the official policy is please?

Just want to ask because I cant see anything in the T & C's about this - what is policy on languages used on servers?

There is only English - German and French servers - but there is many other languages and nationalities that play - I have just responded to a fellow national in our native language and I got a whisper from some player saying that if I don't use English I will be reported because it is an English server!

So what?

Let them report you.

There is no official policy regarding English servers. People are expected to speak English, because it's a language that pretty much everyone knows (to some extent), but there are no rules against speaking in your own language. I personally rarely use mine in general because I think it's inappropriate and a bit rude to say things "in public" that most people will not understand (even if it's not about them).

But no, you won't get punished for speaking your language in general chat, as long as you are not using your language to offend others (e.g. cussing)

Edited by TheNahash

Not saying that you whoever whispered you was in the right, but I do understand where they are coming from.

I'm not a native English speaker but in the common chat channels (General/Trade/etc...) I only speak English. If I see someone asking something in my language in one of these channels, I whisper them with the answer. It's a question of good manners.

If you want to have a private conversation with someone, whisper them. If you want to have conversation with 2 or more people create a chat channel. It's easy, just use

/cjoin channelname

and tell your friends to do the same. (Take a look

and here for more information.)

You can speak any langauage on any server. There is no Spanish server.... but people are on servers speaking Spanish.

The language tags for servers just let you know what the population and likely language of players in game will be speaking.

Can't immagine a reason for not allowing pepole to chat in whatever tounge they want.

just out of curiosity, wat language ware you chatting in?

It was Gaelic - someone asked a question and I responded - it wasn't a full blown conversation or anything - just one question and one answer!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

It was Gaelic - someone asked a question and I responded - it wasn't a full blown conversation or anything - just one question and one answer!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Ignore the bigots who seem to think everyone should only speak/type variants of english. As others said, it's a courtesy to use the main language of the server for the majority of public chatting but there are no rules against typing in other languages and no one should ever feel like they can't say something in a language other than english. In fact, if someone harasses you or others over this, report them. I've reported several players for attacking others who type one lousy recruitment ad in their native language, one freaking ad and these bigots jump all over the person and their perceived nationality with racist comments.

Ignore the bigots who seem to think everyone should only speak/type variants of english. As others said, it's a courtesy to use the main language of the server for the majority of public chatting but there are no rules against typing in other languages and no one should ever feel like they can't say something in a language other than english. In fact, if someone harasses you or others over this, report them. I've reported several players for attacking others who type one lousy recruitment ad in their native language, one freaking ad and these bigots jump all over the person and their perceived nationality with racist comments.

A add is no problem for me. But long conversations in general in a different language is quite a different thing. If one wishes to only speak in a different language than English then join a guild that let's you do that. Or that is at least what I did, I'm in a Swedish guild. Swedish for guild-chatt and English for general.

Excuse me, but I didn´t know that the money that I pay to Bioware every month since the first day of existence of this game had a "language or nationality restriction policy". You have every right to speak in whatever language you wish, so as KurganNazzir said before if someone is harassing you by being a racist bigot just report them.

Just remember people that ideals of "good manners" or "courtesy" , as some people quoted above, is very subjective to a lot of people. The same way that some people think it should be forbidden to speak any language other than english, just remember that for other people is considered very rude to have english or any other language forced to them... lots of nationalities are playing this game, so stop being a racist with xenophobic behaviors and let´s all play and enjoy. Peace.

Edited by Darth_Mallek

Till the day EA/BioWare makes official non-English language servers for the other languages, I keep on concidering the EU servers as international. And as such, all langauges allowed. There's no regulations against it on top of it.

There's room in ToR for everyone. I believe the OP said they were speaking Gaelic. Since there are no dedicated servers for Gaelic speakers, they have no choice but to join a server where the native language is foreign to them. The rest of the server community has an obligation to welcome these players in and show some understanding.

-Macheath.

The server is English for a reason. Whatever language you speak if you are in a guild or private it's your choice what you speak. In general/public however it is nice of you to talk English so the others know what you are talking about. It's only polite.

There's room in ToR for everyone. I believe the OP said they were speaking Gaelic. Since there are no dedicated servers for Gaelic speakers, they have no choice but to join a server where the native language is foreign to them. The rest of the server community has an obligation to welcome these players in and show some understanding.

-Macheath.

I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of people who know Gaelic also know English.

Gaelic being Scotland and Ireland then.

A add is no problem for me. But long conversations in general in a different language is quite a different thing. If one wishes to only speak in a different language than English then join a guild that let's you do that. Or that is at least what I did, I'm in a Swedish guild. Swedish for guild-chatt and English for general.

I don't even see an issue with a long conversation. The channel isn't called English Speakers only it's called general. And in general there are a ton of different languages spoken. I give 0 ****s if English is the most prevalent language. I see no rules outlined saying that you have to type in any specific language. You are entitled to do as you wish just as the OP and his co-pilot are entitled to do as they wish as long as it falls in line with the TOS and EULA as defined from EA's perspective not ours.

To the OP let them report you as if a response is sent out it will be to admonish the one that reported you. I know because it happened to a friend of mine in game that did the same.

I think you should speak whatever language you wish, it's no skin off my back because I will just put you on ignore permanently. Even if you speak my native language. People that don't have the common sense and decency to use a language everyone should understand are, in my PERSONAL experience, complete jerks anyways, so it's a great filter for people you don't want to have anything to do with in the first place. Edited by Jandi

Oddly enough, this was the topic of some friction on TOFN last night, on Balmorra. I wonder if it was the OP being harassed in general.

Someone took it upon themselves to voice their dislike of other languages being spoken openly on an English server. (S)he did in fact say it was against ToS. The reasoning, "it promotes fear." I would like to take this opportunity to say how disgusting that person was.

Here are a couple of "reasons" the person gave as to why everybody should speak English on an English server:

English is the worldwide accepted language: No, it really isn't. nor is it the most popular language spoken. If I was to go to, say, France, do you know what language everybody there would be speaking? That's right, French! Of course, you could argue that most of Europe speaks English. It doesn't, in Europe, there are pockets of people who speak English, and they are being damned courteous to do so for nothing more than English speaking peoples benefit. In short, Europe spoils English speakers.

In Asia, English does not get you nearly as far as it would in Europe, despite what evidence of Asians living in an English speaking country you may try to think of.

They can speak to each other in any language they fancy in private, not in General: I beg your pardon! You are actually demonstrating your desire to disallow the rights of communication within the gaming platform you use on a daily basis. You have no say about what goes on in General chat. That statement alone shows you as a bully and bigoted little thug, I doubt it would sit well with you if the shoe was on the other foot.

They are filling the chat with their language: Aren't we all? After all, isn't that what its there for. If you object to it as much as you are voicing, you are welcome to use the ignore button. However, you do not have the right to harass someone openly about their home tongue, that is against ToS. If you do not agree to that, maybe you shouldn't be playing.

There's nothing stopping them from learning English: Well no, there is not. However, there is nothing stopping you from learning Gaelic (in the OP case.) There is also nothing stopping them from free speaking in their own language. They have the right to do so, and the only thing stopping you enjoying peace of mind about the matter is yourself.

This is an English server: Yes it is, and it appears you have no problem pointing that out at every possible opportunity. However, there is no part of the ToS that states people must speak the language the server denotes. Not every language is represented by servers, please point out where someone could find an Italian server for example, or a Spanish server. As you have guessed, there are no such servers. The servers are segregated not just for recommended language, but global positioning for maximum performance. If that were not true, we wouldn't have USA servers and English servers separately, would we. Like you, everybody has the freedom and the right to choose to play on any server they wish. Someday you may wish to play on a different regional server. Why not, you have every right to do so without fear of harassment or petty bullying. It is the Internet, the world is a much smaller place than it used to be.

BW/EA should make a Russian/Spanish/Italian/Klingon server: Yes, that is certainly an option. However, the simplest solution is for you to get off your horse and both respect and understand that many people lead vastly different lives from your own. The only negativity in this situation is whatever negativity you bring, none other.

In short, it's not the person speaking (in the OP case) Gaelic that's the issue, nor is it an issue stemming from BW/EA. The problem lies with the person objecting to others enjoying the same game they are playing.

As for the person on TOFN, I suspect they were reported. ;) (and rightly so!)

x

Oddly enough, this was the topic of some friction on TOFN last night, on Balmorra. I wonder if it was the OP being harassed in general.

I was there. :) Ahh, it was classic. I didn't say anything to them though, just put them on ignore. I mean, I'm not going to understand what they are saying anyways so might as well remove them from my chat box.

Literalism is a thing, I guess.

So you were being figurative with your post?

I was there. :) Ahh, it was classic. I didn't say anything to them though, just put them on ignore. I mean, I'm not going to understand what they are saying anyways so might as well remove them from my chat box.

Not that you don't have the right to do whatever you want in game as long as you abide by the TOS and EULA. I have to ask though, why would you even ignore them? I ask in all earnest of the sense because I don't see a reason to. First off they may be a great player that can speak English but has a friend on that speaks little to no English. So you possibly ignored a player just because they typed another language that maybe you could learn from or even have a friendship with. I understand if they were just spouting out nonsense or cursing all over the place but to ignore them because of a language seems petty to me.

Not that you don't have the right to do whatever you want in game as long as you abide by the TOS and EULA. I have to ask though, why would you even ignore them? I ask in all earnest of the sense because I don't see a reason to. First off they may be a great player that can speak English but has a friend on that speaks little to no English. So you possibly ignored a player just because they typed another language that maybe you could learn from or even have a friendship with. I understand if they were just spouting out nonsense or cursing all over the place but to ignore them because of a language seems petty to me.

I think he ignored the the people making an issue out of it. Not the people speaking another language. I may be wrong but that was my take on his comment. And I agree with his reasoning if I am assuming correctly. Anyone arrogant enough to pick on, alienate, or ostracize another person because of language would be ignored if I ran into them.

I just dont get the point. If someone say things in general chat in a language you dont understand so what ? It´s like your assuming people speak different languages in general just to anoy you. Thust me, it´s nothing personal. If they are keeping a longer conversation i guess it´s ok to ask them to make a group or a chat channel, but why bother. It´s nothing personal, chances are it´s one person helping another, and we should all do that, and back up everyone that takes the time to help newbies.