Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Please fix commando/merc survivability/utility before 1.6 (suggestions)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Please fix commando/merc survivability/utility before 1.6 (suggestions)

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
11.25.2012 , 06:28 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by _dougnukem_ View Post
Heck, give back the Stockstrike KB and increase Cryo Grenade's range and that would make a pretty nice difference for starters. Both of those are simple fixes, all things considered.

The only time I run my Commando these days is for Daily Comms and when some friends want to run lvl 50 stuff Republic-side, otherwise he collects dust.
I agree bringing those 2 back would make a difference but it would only be a slight difference and we would be basically back where we started. It certainly would help to bring them back, especially cryo grenade (over 10 meters), but i also think we need more/better escape/utility abilities. Thx for the feedback.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Macroeconomics's Avatar


Macroeconomics
11.26.2012 , 01:51 AM | #22
Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. Followed closely by Commando dps.

My suggestion would be to buff Ironsights so that it increases Accuracy AND Aim by 3% per skill pt. Combine that with a lower CD on JetBoost, and giving JetBoost the same removal of movement impairment effects and speed boost that the Sorc Sprint ability got. These are small changes that don't require any animation changes or new skills. And they won't change PvE balance.

But the big thing is that BW must change their mindset that Merc dps is overpowered. BW's ingame stat collection system was revolutionary for MMOs, but it has a fatal flaw - it doesn't control for changes in player skill quality. When you have a subclass that is utilized by a tiny fraction of players, those players are usually the most seasoned, geared and committed to their class. They generate higher meta average numbers and it makes their subclass appear to be OP from a statistical standpoint. Until BW admits that their use of meta average productivity numbers is the wrong way to manage class (im)balance, nothing good will happen.

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
11.26.2012 , 06:02 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. Followed closely by Commando dps.
I do not agree on you with this statement that you made. Commando and merc are a mirrored subclass so they are basically the exact same except for names, armor look, different animations. So there is no way a "Merc is worse than a commando" or "Commando is worse than a merc" They are the same attack wise and both have the same escape issues.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
11.28.2012 , 07:50 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Sliverspark View Post
Last time I checked Jango didn't stand still, he was actually hard to catch. You say you have tried to make this game like we can do everything we saw in the movies. SO MAKE MERCENARY A MOBILE BOUNTY HUNTER. We aren't Inquisitors, we don't use "magic" we shouldn't have to cast, we have two pistols man.

Thank you for your time.
Exactly! I understand we will still NEED to cast sometimes but this is crazy. Have you noticed in SW Episode 2 in the arena and on Kamino, Jango used his jetpack to propel himself away from enemies and into a safe distance. Now, why don't we have that?
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
11.30.2012 , 07:49 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Pretty good ideas I think. Dunno why but it seems like any buff they do will just swing the pendulum the other way and then commandos will be the new OP class of the month that everyone rolls to. May as well let you guys have it for a turn, derpsmashtards are getting OLD.
Yes, "derpsmashtards" are indeed getting really old. I wish that they could just give us more utility/buff us without making us OP. I would think it wouldn't be too hard. Thx for your feedback.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Macroeconomics's Avatar


Macroeconomics
11.30.2012 , 11:39 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
I do not agree on you with this statement that you made. Commando and merc are a mirrored subclass so they are basically the exact same except for names, armor look, different animations. So there is no way a "Merc is worse than a commando" or "Commando is worse than a merc" They are the same attack wise and both have the same escape issues.
You are incorrect. The advantage that the Commando has is that he is not hindered by the presence of the offhand weapon. The offhand weapon natively has low accuracy which combined with the mutli-attack resolution of the Merc's abilities, virtually guarantees at least one miss when attacking an enemy target. Why is that important? Because of Retaliation/Riposte. It means that when the Merc uses RapidShots vs. an attacking enemy melee, he is causing more damage to himself (the Merc) than he is to the enemy melee. That is retarded.

In order to somewhat ameliorate this negative effect, Mercs need to stack more accuracy than do Commandos, who can stack more Power. This is why the Commando is slightly superior to the Merc. By way of comparison, the dual wielding Repub class that has a single wielding mirrored Imp class (Gunslinger vs. Sniper), specifically has an ability that allows him to increase accuracy by 30% for just those situations.

Essence_of_Light's Avatar


Essence_of_Light
12.01.2012 , 01:08 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
You are incorrect. The advantage that the Commando has is that he is not hindered by the presence of the offhand weapon. The offhand weapon natively has low accuracy which combined with the mutli-attack resolution of the Merc's abilities, virtually guarantees at least one miss when attacking an enemy target. Why is that important? Because of Retaliation/Riposte. It means that when the Merc uses RapidShots vs. an attacking enemy melee, he is causing more damage to himself (the Merc) than he is to the enemy melee. That is retarded.

In order to somewhat ameliorate this negative effect, Mercs need to stack more accuracy than do Commandos, who can stack more Power. This is why the Commando is slightly superior to the Merc. By way of comparison, the dual wielding Repub class that has a single wielding mirrored Imp class (Gunslinger vs. Sniper), specifically has an ability that allows him to increase accuracy by 30% for just those situations.
Yes, well we have an energy shield thing that has low accuracy that guarantees atleast 1 miss.... I think. I'll have to check again later but I'm pretty sure it does and the 2 mirrored subclasses are the exactly the same damage wise.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!