Hand on Galactic Star Fighter

sanjocity

So i went to the Redwood City Cantina Tour and got to play 2 rounds of the Galactic Star Fighter i have to say it was exciting to be able to take the chance to play it fantastic game play and very different i completely enjoyed it good night last night Galactic Star Fighter was just amazing the rounds lasted about 5 min or so the custom fighters you can make are great controls where great not sure if you could zoom out more but still enjoyed it also was alot of questions and great feed back cant wait for this to go live

To all the ones that took part in this event was a pleasure

To all those that worked on this Projected (Galactic Star Fighter) Excellent job well done

Musco <--- might have spelled his name wrong great chilled guy great conversation last night about warzones

See you all ingame

Edited by sanjocity
Galacitc Star Fighter is Pvp content so that is why i posted it here :D

I got to do some of the testing. It was a lot of fun. A joystick would be cool, but the mouse controls aren't too bad and you can rebind key controls so you don't have to use WASD if you don't want to.

All in all, it was a good deal of fun and I'm looking forward to it going live in Dec. :)

No joystick = No bueno

Flying by keyboard/mouse was pure agony. Not interested in GSF at all until I can fly with a stick.

Ya there was alot of ppl that felt that way but personally i dont mind it i didnt have a problem keeping to my target i enjoyed it

No joystick = No bueno

Flying by keyboard/mouse was pure agony. Not interested in GSF at all until I can fly with a stick.

I keep hearing this but who actually has a PC ready joystick? Why on earth would they design/develop a new feature that will only appeal to a tiny fraction of their player base?

I keep hearing this but who actually has a PC ready joystick? Why on earth would they design/develop a new feature that will only appeal to a tiny fraction of their player base?

I expect that is part of the issue. It is possible to make a joystick to key functions on your key board and to mouse functions but how well it would work, I don't know. I have one but haven't really found the mouse and keyboard to be enough of a problem to play with configuring the joystick.

I still don't know why in the hell they made firing reticle dynamic. What were they thinking? Trying to show off how creative and open-minded they are to other dogfighting game developers? Sorry not good enough to compete with other flying games. Even battlefield or battlefront have better aerial combat interfaces than this game's.

No joystick = No bueno

I didn't have time to do much testing but this stuck with me throughout. The mouse worked but personally I didn't like flying mouse and KB. Never have in other games either. Maybe more time later will change that, but as it is my interest is lowered due to it.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I still don't know why in the hell they made firing reticle dynamic. What were they thinking? Trying to show off how creative and open-minded they are to other dogfighting game developers? Sorry not good enough to compete with other flying games. Even battlefield or battlefront have better aerial combat interfaces than this game's.

Every game is different and i really still enjoyed it. I say they did a good job i didnt want to leave the game yesterday and wanted to do more flight fights. Having something new to the game is always great to see.

No joystick = No bueno

apparently from what I have been reading since the NDA was dropped, is that its a mouse aiming system. Using a joystick would put you at a disadvantage.

I don't see how really, aside from personal abilities with one or the other.

The way GS currently works when aiming and turning is that there is an internal ring for aiming, and an external ring that when you move beyond it causes the ship to turn(you cannot fire outside of the internal ring). Different weapons have different internal rings. Part of turning and maneuvering involves the use of WASD and hotkeys for abilities. With the speed at which everything is moving around, I'd think you'd end up constantly ramming your joystick in opposite directions and be unable to effectively aim while maneuvering, which to me would seem frustrating.

Now I'm no joystick expert, so its easily possible my understanding of their ease of use in such a situation is wrong, so I'm going to go ahead and quote someone who appeared knowledgeable about the subject in the thread on the test forums, as they have probably brought up much better points than I have.

Also go that post itself and read what he had quoted.

the mouse controls your movement and the aiming

if you have dual monitors, you cursor goes off onto your second screen

unless you're an rper or pver, you will stick to the ground game

Edited by orryko

No thanks I played it for weeks and think I'd prefer a joystick.

The point was joysticks would put you at a disadvantage. It would be like playing a PC FPS with a joystick - you can do it fine, but someone with a mouse has much better accuracy

Thats correct the circle which is your range of aim then your site comes into play with in that also you need to keep your site on the target that also moves around telling you where you must aim its kind of hard to explain but it has alot of movement within your range of aim and your site after a round of play i got use to it you will all have to wait for release date to check it out but i was not disappointed

In the 90s, 99 % of flight sim players had a joystick.

And then Microsoft came with this Starlancer/Freelancer game and turned everything upside-down.

In an Retro Gaming article one of the original "X-Wing" developers wrote that flight sims have probably died out because people aren't able to handle the sheer amount of complexity anymore.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

i personally cant wait for this, i dont care if its joystick or keyboard just a welcome change within game.

what alot need to realise this is a really nice addon, its not the main focus of this mmo space combat so to now have this added in is amazing and completely different to anything we got at hand in current content.

good work bioware.

feels weird saying good work bioware lol

for those that got to do some testing, couple of questions hope you can help with,

what game types was there ie defend point a, take point a, etc ?

and is it more deathmatch type or objective pvp etc? hoping objective based

the mouse controls your movement and the aiming

if you have dual monitors, you cursor goes off onto your second screen

unless you're an rper or pver, you will stick to the ground game

Yea, that's what turned me off - I have 3 x 24 and in windowed mode having to reload the SWTOR application when the cursor goes off screen only to have your ship wiped is a real pain.

Even playing in full screen mode the GS didn't blow up my skirt. I'm sure to try it again when it goes live before totally writing it off.

I think I'm going to be spoiled when Star Citizen comes out. In fact I'll be building a whole new system around that game.

i personally cant wait for this, i dont care if its joystick or keyboard just a welcome change within game.

what alot need to realise this is a really nice addon, its not the main focus of this mmo space combat so to now have this added in is amazing and completely different to anything we got at hand in current content.

good work bioware.

feels weird saying good work bioware lol

for those that got to do some testing, couple of questions hope you can help with,

what game types was there ie defend point a, take point a, etc ?

and is it more deathmatch type or objective pvp etc? hoping objective based

i only played the kuat space map because i could only stand one night of it. 3 objectives which are spaced out way too far. by the time you said "i need help at obj c" it would be lost long before people got there. so if you like flying around a particular spot on the map, i guess it's objective based. most people were just trying to dogfight in beta...and you can bet your *** they will do the same thing on live

i think all the ship customization and whatnot is cool, and definitely gives you something different to grind if your friends aren't online. i seriously can't see hardcore pvpers wanting to do this instead of arena, but i guess we'll see soon