The Man in the Box

iamthehoyden

"How much longer do you think we have before the guards return?" Felix asked as Jese finished healing the last of Zenith's burns.

"The outside guards are on fifteen minute patrols, but they're not going to interrupt a Sith anytime soon," Zenith said. He nodded in thanks to Jese and rolled his sleeves back down "They change out every three hours. Didn't look very tough."

Felix frowned, "I don't want Jese put at risk."

"Hey," she said, touching his arm, "I can handle myself."

He pulled her to him, wrapping one arm around her waist and kissing the top of her head. "Seeing you shocked by that Darth was more than enough for me," he said grimly.

She looked up at him. "We need to get out of here, and I don't think they're going to let us just wander through the front doors."

Zenith riffled through Ouzel's robes. He pulled out a datapad and a vial of spice. "Typical. Weak." He tossed the vial aside in disgust. He opened the datapad and glared at it before spitting on the corpse. "And useless...nothing but ancient texts here."

Jese walked over and reached for it, scanning the contents. "We'll bring it, might be something important here."

Felix ticked the points of his plan off his fingers: "We can get weapons off the first round of guards, but once they're down we're going to be on a short time schedule. We need to steal a shuttle and get off this rock. Wherever this rock is." He sighed, "Would be nice to be done with this whole escaping from Imperial captivity thing."

"Tothav might know," Jese said slowly, looking at Felix, "he's been wandering around free."

"Absolutely not," he said grimly, "that bastard is responsible for this, and he will stay locked away."

"He's also the one who killed Ouzel," Jese pointed out, "he's got just as much reason as we do to want out of here. Plus he gave you back control."

"He ran when he got punched," Felix said shortly, "bullies do that."

"I'm not saying let him stay, I'm saying get the information we need and then take back control," Jese said, "We can deal with him later."

"Hate to say it, but she might be right," Zenith said with a shrug, "the Sith could be useful. We need the intel."

Felix ground his teeth. "You have one minute and then I'm coming back. I'll be damned if he's going to hurt my people again."

He closed his eyes and his face shifted slightly. Tothav opened his eyes and looked back at them. He looked uncertain for a brief moment and then his arrogance came roaring back to the forefront, straightening his posture, putting a sneer on his lips. "Miss me, did you?"

"You have less than a minute to tell us what planet we're on and how to get to the nearest shuttle," Jese said quickly.

"Or what? You'll leave me behind?" he smirked.

"You're wasting time," Zenith said shortly.

Tothav sighed. "Ilthor - it's in Imperial space near Korriban. A bit more crowded than in my time, but the amenities are much nicer."

Zenith crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow.

"And the Darth's personal shuttle is in the hanger on the west side of the compound. The building has the most atrocious statue behind it. I don't know who Ouzel was trying to impress, but he's lucky they didn't kill him outright."

"Guards?" Zenith asked.

"A pair, nothing you can't handle, I'm sure." He paused and looked at Jese. "Four-nine-two-three-two-seven. It'll get you into the ship."

"Thank you," Jese said sincerely.

"Anything for you, my..." His face twisted and Felix looked back at them. "Get anything useful?"

"Yes, he was very helpful," Jese said, explaining what they'd been told.

"We'll have to play it safe, see if this intel checks out," Zenith said.

The three of them made short work of the guards and then quickly made their way through the Sith's estate, dodging patrols and security cameras.

"Doesn't this remind you of the estates on Alderaan?" Jese whispered as they waited for a patrol to pass the final entrance.

"Never been to Alderaan," Felix whispered back. Zenith shrugged, not turning around from where he was watching.

Jese felt tears sting her eyes. "Qyzen and I...we did a lot of good there." Felix squeezed her hand, his eyes concerned. She took a breath, blinking back the tears. There would be time for that later.

"Now," Zenith said. The three sprinted through the corridor and out the main doors. A startled cry to their right gave them warning that they'd been spotted.

"Go!" Zenith yelled at them as he blasted the sentry in the chest, "Get to the ship! I'll catch up."

Felix started across the open ground, blasting at the guards he could see. Jese paused for a moment. "Zenith!" The Twi'lek glanced at her, his eyes gone fierce and hard. "Don't you dare be late," she ordered, "I'm not losing any one else."

He raised an eyebrow at the petite green Jedi, a slight grin on his face as he went back to his shooting. "I'll see what I can do," he said. Jese threw a Force shield on him and then sped through the open space to catch up to Felix.

"I'll give that bastard in my head this," the soldier said, taking down one of the men who guarded the hanger, "that is one damn ugly statue."

The statue in question rose up above the forest floor, beyond the tree tops by a considerable amount. It was of a female Sith...probably. It was grotesquely out of proportion, giving the viewer the impression of a woman with rather ridiuclous assets. So ridiculous, in fact, that one of them had cracked and fallen off. The face had a nose that was exceptionally long, bulging eyes, and facial bone spurs that gave her a distinctly spiky appearance. She appeared to be frozen in a perpetual pre-sneeze. Jese almost felt bad for whoever the model had been.

Jese picked up a nearby chunk of statue and hurled it at the second guard who went down without a fuss. The two of them headed in to the hanger, the sound of gunfire behind them.

"Get the ship started up!" Felix called, "I'll hold them here."

Jese nodded and sprinted to the door, punching in the code Tothav had given them. The door slid open without hesitation. She hurried through the dark gray, black, and red corridor into a main room, almost a lounge. The place was deserted. She made her way to the bridge where smooth lines and high-tech hardware awaited. Ouzel might have been a megalomaniac with delusions of grandure...in other words, Sith...but the man had a nice ship. Jese started it up quickly.

"Get us out of here," Felix said behind her, breathing heavily as he leaned on the doorframe.

"Where's Zenith?" she asked in near panic.

"I'm here," the Twi'lek said, rushing in and grabbing one of the co-pilot seats. He typed in a series of commands. "Take us out of here."

Jese nodded and put the ship in flight. They were off the planet in a matter of seconds, into hyperspace in minutes.

Jese stood and took a deep breath, stretching.

"What the hell?"

She walked out into the lounge area towards Felix's voice. "What is it?" she asked. He was frowning at a datapad. He handed it to her. "It was left in my pocket."

It was a list of coordinates, some of which had notes next to them. At the bottom of the list, it simply said "For my dear. Tothav."

Edited by iamthehoyden

What was it? "Cognitive re-calibration?" XD
As if you really need a reason to hit someone really hard in the head :D

Loving this. Though if you had killed Zenith I would have cursed you and then immediately apologized. Love your characterizations.

I would have cursed me! :eek: I won't say that any companion is completely safe (but some companions are completely safe :D)

Love this! Way to spice up Iresso!

Thanks! Iresso's a sweetheart, but we only get to spend a little time with him in-game before the end of the class story. Lots of possibility there.

Romance the evil within!

Isn't that what your story is about?

Sssshhhhhh!

I don't have to have anti-heroes, I like good guys too!! :o:D

Jese stood with Felix's arm around her as the wind blew the sand back over Qyzen's grave. There was no marker. Just the huge arching krayt dragon rib bones above and the small pile of old bones where his father had fallen long ago. In a moment, Tatooine erased any sign of Qyzen, as though he'd never been there. Jese wiped away the tears that streamed down her face. Felix brushed away a couple tears of his own. He hugged her tight to him.

"You okay?" he asked, looking down at her.

She nodded, swallowing once, her brows tight as she watched the sands swirl across the dunes. "A couple Trandoshan hunters contacted me on the way here," she said quietly, "to hear the story of how the legend had gone to meet the Scorekeeper."

"He'll be remembered."

"I need a moment here," she said, "I'll meet you back at the ship."

He nodded and kissed her forehead, heading back to the outpost to catch a speeder.

Jese stood in a moment in the blazing sun and then knelt down in the sands, next to the old piles of bones. "Scorekeeper," she whispered, tears making her voice thick, "this warrior honored me with his friendship, his respect. He followed me into danger without flinching, faced down overwhelming odds time and again. I honor him for his bravery." She swallowed. "Please keep watch over him now." She stood and looked down at the smooth expanse that covered the grave for a long moment. "Good bye, old friend," she whispered as tears streamed down her face.

Her face was grim when she got back to the ship. Ouzel's ship had been checked over, tracking devices removed, logs datamined by SIS, and every item of the Sith's oblitorated. For now, while their ship was being repaired, it would do. Nadia, Tharan, and Zenith had returned to their makeshift stations after they'd taken Qyzen's body to its resting place, but now the ship was quiet as the crew found company in their thoughts. Jese found Felix on the bridge and the sight of him checking over the controls, as always, let something inside her relax for a moment. The love they shared was as strong as ever, steady and sure, even through all of this. He turned to smile a sad smile at her, and she smiled back and then her smile died. He raised an eyebrow.

"Has he been difficult to keep in check?" she asked, walking over to him.

He shook his head. "Not even a little," he said, "it's like he's not even trying."

"I need to speak to him."

"Jese..."

She crossed her arms. "We've put this off long enough."

He sighed and nodded. "Ten minutes." Then his face shifted, and Tothav blinked at her for a moment. He gathered himself together and gave her a small bow.

"What can I do for you, little Jedi?" he asked, his voice more uncertain than arrogant.

Jese was silent for a moment. "I just came from burying a friend," she finally said.

Tothav nodded slowly, his eyes watchful.

"A friend you helped kill."

He frowned irritably. "I told Ouzel to take you alive. It is hardly my fault that Trandoshans do not know how to surrender. Irrational beasts."

Jese glared at him. "Do not insult his memory," she snapped, "your actions caused the death of a warrior worth a thousand of you."

"I know full well that I am worthless without the Force," he spat, "you do not need to harp on it."

She poked him in the chest. "You are worthless because of your choices! Sith, Jedi, Force-blind...it doesn't matter! You chose to betray us!"

"That you expected differently simply shows your naivity," he sneered down at her.

"Perhaps it does," she said with durasteel in her voice, "you can be sure that will not happen again."

Poor, poor Sith trapped in a blind body.

Maybe he should make out with Jese a little. There's no connection between those two whatsoever.

[pairs up characters at random]

Making out would probably improve his mood. Not sure Jese would be up for that though...we'll have to see :)

I teared up at Qyzen's funeral. I can't imagine my Sage without him even though Zenith is her usual companion. Jese's speech to the Scorekeeper was touching and sad. Ugh. Teary again.

I used many a tissue while writing it and lots of doubts about whether I did the right thing in killing him kept me company. At any rate, I'm a smidge stalled on this story, but I'll get there eventually.

• 9 months later...