Act 1 finale: SPOILER!

xxSharangirxx

I warned you!

If you read this, you get spoiled with the end of Act 1 of the Jedi Consular Storyline!!!

First: I killed every single Jedi Master, because the Noetikon-people told me that I would kill myself by saving/shielding too many of the others..

Of course did I save my Master.. As a healer, I absolutely need Qyzen to be happy. :rolleyes:

Before I can leave to hunt Vivicar, Yuon Par again wants to get beaten up.. I, again, let her live, because Qyzen would've hated me.

Then I get sent to Vivicar's ship..

So, I finished chapter I by killing Vivicar which Qyzen loved (+140 affection, if I recall correctly).

I got home to Tython where the great and annoying Master Syo standing next to Master Yuon Par told me that all the Masters that I had saved had died unfortunately..

Remember my first point? I didn't save a single one of them... except for Yuon.

Now the best thing:

I go on, to the fleet, where I get a letter.. Syo is soooo sorry for the loss of Yuon and all those hundreds of other Jedi that had to die because I wanted Vivicar dead..

Why, is she dead now or did I get too confused with all the killing and brabbling of the Jedi Council?

I fear that the problem lies with the story design and that not everything was well thought-through...

Maybe the writers first had one outcome in mind and then changed to something else and the designers forgot to change the dialogues of previous encounters?

I'm confused..

Was this some other old lady standing there with Satele (yeah, she looks old too..) and Syo meeting me at the Council after defeating Vivicar?

Or did she die only afterwards, in silence (without costing me any affection from Qyzen :p ) or didn't she die at all? Will she ever reappear?

Besides this little issue:

I'm totally happy with the Consular Storyline so far!

Only thing that I don't like:

I'm lvl 30 and only got Tharan (as a healer, the healer companion is not really useful) and Qyzen (I'll use him till the end, I guess :) He's already in full custom gear and quite the killer in 1 on 1 open pvp :D )

They should've brought in more companions earlier, so that one has a choice...

In the end, I'll only be able to play with Nadia, when I'd happen to do dailies, which I won't.. Leaving me to buy her presents which I can't afford, because I don't play dailies.. :rolleyes:

He indeed said that everyone would die..

but:

1. I don't believe such a weakling when he's is trying everything to save his own life :rolleyes:

2. Seems like he didn't lie after all and everyone died.. But Yuon was still there, when I got back after stabbing this SoaB...

And my other problem is that the SYO character talks about "all the Masters that you have shielded" whereas there was not a single one I used my shield on, except for Yuon standing next to Syo in this very moment :)

It's nothing that influences the story, I still could make my decisions.. but it makes it seem to me, like someone dark as me just wasn't thought of when programming and planning the dialogues.. :p

It seems that they overlooked making a variant line for Master Syo. Should it be corrected? Yeah, next time they've got the voice actor in for something else. It may have been reported in beta and put on a list of such lines to add/adjust and they just haven't had the opportunity to get the VA back in since.

I did the opposite of you, though, and that created a minor quibble for me, too...

I saved all the masters, and encountered no weakening as the Noetikon masters indicated I would. Granted, I realize it would be obscene to apply a stacking debuff throughout the game, but I felt that, surely, I was handicapping myself in subsequent story fights against the other masters and eventually Vivicar by making the "right" decision.

Lo and behold, when facing subsequent masters, I saw no evidence of such a weakening, but continued thinking to myself that, surely, I was setting myself up for a difficult, handicapped fight with Vivicar.

And yet, I wasn't. I walked all over Vivicar with no apparent obstacles due to my decisions to shield his victims at every opportunity.

I was mildly disappointed, as I felt it was a missed opportunity to make the moral decisions a bit more.. weighty.

Edited by Kaffis

Its the 8 year old adviser problem. They wrote the story one way, but didn't triple check all the variances you could have made, Kill all masters, save all masters, kill 1, save rest, kill 2 and Viv, save rest....etc...Theres like what, 720 variations....no wait a sec forgot the girl 5040 ways the story could have played out

Let's do this again:

I shield Yuon = lightside choice

If I shield Yuon, she lives on..

I kill Vivicar = darkside choice

If I kill Vivicar, Yuon dies..

Now, I really killed him, beat the shiat out of his mother*****'s face!

I go back, to tell the council how bloody it had gotten...

YUON is supposed to be dead, remember? Because I took this darkside choice that killed everyone with Vivicar!

But hey, there she is, standing next to Syo in the conversation, where that ol' sucka tells me that everyone I had shielded had died anyways...

Yuon might look like a zombie, but as long as she's standing and moving, she's alive IMHO!

Now, see,

I don't mind that the storytellers don't give a crap about my decisions for the most important part of the consular story.. They couldn't have seen that I killed everyone who wasn't with the council...

But I give a crap about the dialogue scene that concludes chapter one (which lasts over 30 levels of gameplay!) and I care if they are not able to show the right people in that dialogue scene, you see?!

If Yuon was dead because of me, she was not supposed to be there in that conversation...

I hope, I made myself clear now?

This game seems to be very complex, na?!

• 1 month later...
Our fan-retcon about "Yu-on died, but not right away" could really work. But it gets worse: approximately at the end of Act 2 certain characters ask you if their assistance helped you, and your Consilar replies "Thank you, Yu-on is alive and well". "Ah, what a relief", they say. This time I can't think of any excuse.

I warned you!

If you read this, you get spoiled with the end of Act 1 of the Jedi Consular Storyline!!!

First: I killed every single Jedi Master, because the Noetikon-people told me that I would kill myself by saving/shielding too many of the others..

Of course did I save my Master.. As a healer, I absolutely need Qyzen to be happy. :rolleyes:

Before I can leave to hunt Vivicar, Yuon Par again wants to get beaten up.. I, again, let her live, because Qyzen would've hated me.

Then I get sent to Vivicar's ship..

So, I finished chapter I by killing Vivicar which Qyzen loved (+140 affection, if I recall correctly).

I got home to Tython where the great and annoying Master Syo standing next to Master Yuon Par told me that all the Masters that I had saved had died unfortunately..

Remember my first point? I didn't save a single one of them... except for Yuon.

Now the best thing:

I go on, to the fleet, where I get a letter.. Syo is soooo sorry for the loss of Yuon and all those hundreds of other Jedi that had to die because I wanted Vivicar dead..

Why, is she dead now or did I get too confused with all the killing and brabbling of the Jedi Council?

I fear that the problem lies with the story design and that not everything was well thought-through...

Maybe the writers first had one outcome in mind and then changed to something else and the designers forgot to change the dialogues of previous encounters?

I'm confused..

Was this some other old lady standing there with Satele (yeah, she looks old too..) and Syo meeting me at the Council after defeating Vivicar?

Or did she die only afterwards, in silence (without costing me any affection from Qyzen :p ) or didn't she die at all? Will she ever reappear?

Besides this little issue:

I'm totally happy with the Consular Storyline so far!

Only thing that I don't like:

I'm lvl 30 and only got Tharan (as a healer, the healer companion is not really useful) and Qyzen (I'll use him till the end, I guess :) He's already in full custom gear and quite the killer in 1 on 1 open pvp :D )

They should've brought in more companions earlier, so that one has a choice...

In the end, I'll only be able to play with Nadia, when I'd happen to do dailies, which I won't.. Leaving me to buy her presents which I can't afford, because I don't play dailies.. :rolleyes:

To be honest, both Qyzen and Tharan are very good compagnions. If I wanne go melee and dps myself i choice tharan, if i wanne do more cc and healing i take qyzen. They are both fun the have as a comp :)

To be honest, both Qyzen and Tharan are very good compagnions. If I wanne go melee and dps myself i choice tharan, if i wanne do more cc and healing i take qyzen. They are both fun the have as a comp :)

I've found Qyzen to be hit or miss depending on which way you go as Consular.

I've loved him on my Sage, just send him in to draw aggro and keep him healed while blasting away from distance. I faceroll mobs with him on my Sage and hardly have any down time between fights.

Can't stand him with my Shadow, he dies very fast, no matter how good his gear is and he is an awful companion for Shadow. Have to meditate after every fight and any fight with more than one strong mob is a toss-up. Theran is like mini-god mode for Shadow once you get him and I haven't used another companion since. Sure there is a bit of drop off in DPS, but I love that I never drop below 80% health in an elite fight and I can solo Champions with Theran's heals. Not to mention the extra interupt is nice.

• 10 months later...
I've found Qyzen to be hit or miss depending on which way you go as Consular.

I've loved him on my Sage, just send him in to draw aggro and keep him healed while blasting away from distance. I faceroll mobs with him on my Sage and hardly have any down time between fights.

Can't stand him with my Shadow, he dies very fast, no matter how good his gear is and he is an awful companion for Shadow. Have to meditate after every fight and any fight with more than one strong mob is a toss-up. Theran is like mini-god mode for Shadow once you get him and I haven't used another companion since. Sure there is a bit of drop off in DPS, but I love that I never drop below 80% health in an elite fight and I can solo Champions with Theran's heals. Not to mention the extra interupt is nice.

This^

Qyzen seems to be the go-to for Sages. And Tharan is the go-to for Shadows.

My Shadow is now 50, working on getting all the uber gear, and I haven't bothered with another pet since I first got Tharan. Just got him all his Recruit stuff, so he'd have decent stats without having to wait for lvl 50 drops/wasting tokens and Comms.

Mind if I ask a question?

I just finished Tatooine, I have a feeling that Parkanas is Vivicar. Am I right or wrong?

Good solid double into the outfield with that hit. But with everything that deals with Sith, it's more complicated then that.

after finishing act1 you recieve the title 'Barsen'Thor', tho I do not see that title in my character sheet.. :s I thought I was goingto have it later, when I finish or travel to Balmorra.. But being lvl 33 now and still don't have that title and seeing level 31's with that title I think it's a bug that I do not have that title?

• 2 weeks later...

I think one thing that was overlooked in the first post and mentioned only briefly after, when Vivicar says "All the masters he infected will die" he is referring to a large number he has infected that the Consular hasn't encountered yet, not just the handful the Consular shielded/killed.

The confusion makes sense as that sounds like Yuon should die in this scenario but Vivicar's statement should probably be interpreted as:

"All the masters I have plagued that you have not shielded will die if you kill me."

But Vivicar explicitly states that even shielded masters will perish if you kill him. And Syo Bakarn tells you right away that any masters you've saved have suddenly died if you do go through with it. It's presumably an oversight they never addressed or a major bug. The best fanon explanation I could come up with is that maybe shielding Yuon twice broke her bond with the Plaguemaster or otherwise protected her or something. Edited by OldVengeance

after finishing act1 you recieve the title 'Barsen'Thor', tho I do not see that title in my character sheet.. :s I thought I was goingto have it later, when I finish or travel to Balmorra.. But being lvl 33 now and still don't have that title and seeing level 31's with that title I think it's a bug that I do not have that title?

You're also promoted to Master Jedi at start of Chapter 2, yet I still don't have "Master" as an available title on my Shadow. Do you have to wait till the end of the class story like with Knights?

You're also promoted to Master Jedi at start of Chapter 2, yet I still don't have "Master" as an available title on my Shadow. Do you have to wait till the end of the class story like with Knights?

you have to send in a ticket!!! =) THat's what I did and got fixxed 2 days later :)!

You don't get the Master title until the end of Chapter 3.

I've heard a number of times that these continuity problems are -the- reason so many people dislike the consular story as much as they do. It's one thing to not be so in-your-face-omg-epic, but when you throw in continuity errors because the people who put together this class story did not account for the fact that dark side choices can and will be made, I can see why that would tip the scales from "it isn't for me" to "it's just plain bad."

I can't recall off the top of my head, but even playing my consular light side almost entirely as "canonical" as possible, I've noticed one or two very slight continuity errors, the kind you overlook, but I'd heard a number of times that many choices that deviate from this "light side force mystic" archetype simply do not have the appropriate flags and checks to handle continuity in the story.

Some people have had a similar problem with the Sith Warrior story and getting a certain companion with incorrect alignment. The difference is that this problem seems to span much of the Consular story.

After reading this I'm glad I didn't go through with my initial neutral consular idea. Many of the choices I would have made in regards to the masters would likely have been jarringly ignored. :(

Also, I just started Balmorra and I have both my Master and Barsen'thor titles.

Edited by eldefail