Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Honor Code of a pilot?

Ymris
06.10.2015 , 04:37 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKiko View Post
Ya know what would fix all this? GSF PvE.

New players could learn without getting their asses kicked. Old players would have something to do when queue is dead, and teachers would have a tool to help new pilots excell.

Bam, honor code discussion nullified.
Pretty much. Again, the prevailing complaint of new pilots is "OMG let me figure out how to turn before you blow me to flinders!!! You know what? Eff this!". GSF PvE would help assuage the pain a lot.

I do think GSF was designed for casual players. The difficulty that said players experience getting into it is evidence of two things: design flaws (namely, there was no way to cushion the crushing gap between new and old pilot power level) and that PvPers gon' do what PvPers gon' do.

Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKiko View Post
There is zero benefit to fixing matches/wintrading in GSF. Why would anyone do it?
250:1 kill ratios, 0 deaths on X ship, things of that nature. I have witnessed such things going on so that people can work on things like that. And hey, there's a ton of people that play games (particularly MMOs) specifically for the sense of accomplishment obtained from ridiculous numbers.

Monumenta, I want to compliment your tenacity and willingness to argue your point while listening to other perspectives. I think I understand where you're coming from, but I think you and I will have to agree to disagree. You have made me a bit curious about your server though. When RL allows me the headspace to game again, I might check it out. Perhaps as a nameless new pilot.
Tensoring straight to hell!

JediBoadicea
06.10.2015 , 05:17 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Ymris View Post
250:1 kill ratios, 0 deaths on X ship, things of that nature. I have witnessed such things going on so that people can work on things like that. And hey, there's a ton of people that play games (particularly MMOs) specifically for the sense of accomplishment obtained from ridiculous numbers.
You know what, I actually hadn't considered that, which undoubtedly says much more about my head space than anyone else's. The closest I've come to thinking like this is, upon seeing that I am pitted against a whole team of two-shippers in TDM, finding an out of the way asteroid and spending the whole match routinely slamming myself into said asteroid in a bomber to work toward repairs medals. Sometimes old veteran friends I fly with will help out by hanging out with me and slamming into the same rock. I have to admit I do derive some entertainment from watching the fight unfold from afar, observing the drama unfold. In matches like that, the up-and-coming players on my team get a chance to feel like rock stars at the top of the leaderboard (hopefully having a lot of fun in the process), and the two-shipper newbies on the other team get the benefit of a less unbalanced fight in which they have more opportunities to learn to maneuver and shoot back.

Do I prefer matches like the above? No. I prefer hard fought matches where you earn every medal and every victory by the skin of your teeth and the sweat of your brow. But let's face it, those matches are the minority. Sometimes I just have to resort to getting my jollies by slamming into a rock. As long as I abandon my asteroid-slamming habit if I see it is hurting my team and pitch in if needed to be sure my team still wins, I have a hard time seeing how that hurts anyone. Except me and my flaming hull.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ymris View Post
You have made me a bit curious about your server though. When RL allows me the headspace to game again, I might check it out. Perhaps as a nameless new pilot.
Come join us!

Iliac
06.10.2015 , 05:35 PM | #73
I can understand giving newer players a shot. But, I refuse to sit back and let any gunships new or not take pot shots at my team while sitting on their own spawn. Lopsided matches like that, I will tab through until I find someone in a gunship or someone attacking me and they will die. For the gunships that does mean they may get spawn camped.
"We live in a country that guarantees your free speech,
but it's not a country that guarantees anything you say is correct"
-Neil DeGrass Tyson

CommanderKiko
06.10.2015 , 07:13 PM | #74
Anyone who feels a sense of accomplishment for cheating needs serious mental help. I neither like nor fully understand such willingness to win-trade for stats, especially if the stats are the only benefit gained.

3deep5u
GM of Defiant Industries LLC (GSF/PvP)
GM of Defiant Security Services (GSF, new)
- KikÚ, Bastion.

Ymris
06.10.2015 , 07:54 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by JediBoadicea View Post
You know what, I actually hadn't considered that, which undoubtedly says much more about my head space than anyone else's.
Yeah, it says you're not a GSF cynic. ....yet

Ymris
06.10.2015 , 09:01 PM | #76
Maybe there are 'honor code people' because honor is all we know.

I have been drinking. So what? That song reminded me of this thread. Cheers.

Phoenix_Wraith
06.11.2015 , 07:16 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post

Now before you ignore my claims of selfish-motivation and call me a carebear, let's look at what I do in TDM. If the enemy team is even remotely competitive, I will generally jump in one of my better ships (or a ship I am trying to set a record in). I will then play my absolute hardest and most viciously. I will follow the enemy back to their spawn and kill them. Then I will tab target to the nearest enemy (who is usually at a spawn) and kill them too.

I will try to get every DO and steal every kill. In those matches, the challenge is not coming from my enemy--it's coming from my own team, and my past performances. I want to be the Boss Monster that the other team has to struggle to contain. I want to top the scoreboard in absurd fashion. I'm good at the game, and I've put a lot of effort into it, and I feel I deserve to show off a bit. TDM is where I let myself feel free to do so.

Now if the enemy team is truly, miserably terrible, then I'll fly some non-traditional or funky ship in Deathmatch. A Bomber or a Strike, or a double-missile Jurgoran or a double-torpedo Dustmaker, or a Clarion with Ion Missiles. But then I will still play my absolute hardest to top the scoreboard. I never take my foot off the gas.
I find this funny. Lol...flying a weird or under-geared ship when your opponent is clearly overmatched. And that happens with more than two maxed scouts on a bar? OK! Don't stop believing there monster-beast. The same goes for faction switching. This was a great morning laugher for me, thank you!

Donlan_Yllvei
06.16.2015 , 05:16 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by WhiteKing View Post

Do you have any unwritten rules you try to adhere to?

I have one - when facing an obviously inferior team, I fly ships that I'm not as good at. I'm a quarrel pilot. Secondarily, bombers. Mediocre dogfighting skills at best. So when I'm facing an enemy team that has no chance of winning, it's dogfighting practice. I'll get in my flash, or a Pike or something.

Or else, I'll work on mastering the ships i never use.

Yes, I could obliterate 25 low req rookie ships, but that's how Q's break.