Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Honor Code of a pilot?


WhiteKing's Avatar


WhiteKing
06.05.2015 , 05:16 AM | #1
Was playing with this idea every now and again, just got out of match against a bunch of beginners where my team, despite my attempts to get them to slow down, rolled them so hard that so many of them quit that wz shut down.

What do you consider to be just rude, or outright wrong? Or do you thik that anything goes?

The idea behind this is that the game should give something to both sides and the other 15-23 people are not there to provide you entertainment at the expense of their own. So here are some of mine:

- Do not push the opposition to spawn (spawn camping is out of the question), no matter how weak or bad they might be
Exiting hyperspace and getting instantly blown up is hardly fun for the recieving party. Moreover, if people on the opposing team are inexperienced enough to give you the confidence to do that and are not able to break through it, you are denying them the opportunity to learn even the basic flying lessons. If someone zones in for the first time and gets totally shut down up to the point of frustration, do you think they will want to repeat that experience any time soon?

- Do not single out/hunt a person over and over again
In other words, don't make it personal. The game modes have clear objectives and despite the fact that deathmatch is about kiling the opposition, there are at least 7 other targets to choose from. Unless the person in question is suicidal enough to come looking for trouble repeatedly, don't go out of your way to purposefuly kill that guy just because [insert rationalization here]. Cover your area, protect a satellite, peel off allies, but don't go chasing one guy all across the map out of some petty reason.

- Do not play with your food
When facing a clearly inferior opposition, make it clean. Draining all their power with ions and letting them helplessly float in space is probably not the most pleasant experience you can give them. You know they're dead, they probably know they're dead, finish it and move on.

- Be generous to new guys
If they have enough sense to get a satellite AND guard it, let them. They will get more requisition for upgrages, you can farm the respawning turrets, and you will still win with the other two. Couple extra minutes won't kill you, and the next pop might even come faster if you don't make others lose interest after a steamroll.


Do you have any unwritten rules you try to adhere to?

Karaiblis's Avatar


Karaiblis
06.05.2015 , 12:19 PM | #2
My guild plays by these whenever we get in a GSF mood, they used to be pretty common in games, not much anymore. Can't blame people from wanting to be the most ruthless in PvP possible either tho, even if it doesn't encourage new players who face it to return again, eating fresh sirloin buffs your leaderboard epeen faster than a diet of salad, I just don't like playing that way.
Passion Strength Power Victory Freedom
Kovrai · Ebon Hawk · Rysari
Subscription referral link for free stuff: http://www.swtor.com/r/DnTB8N

Cyanothis's Avatar


Cyanothis
06.05.2015 , 01:05 PM | #3
i agree with those and i'll add:

Don't Gloat

You won, well done you. There is no need to try to make what you think are "witty" comments or worse, log over imp/rep simply to gloat about the win. Respect the other team, if its a wargame then a GG in /1 is good enough.
Tilia
Guild Leader - Unrelenting - The Red Eclipse

Verain's Avatar


Verain
06.05.2015 , 01:35 PM | #4
I have some different ideas.

In general, I recommend you explode enemies without mercy or reason.

The idea behind this is that players should play the game to the best of their ability and enjoy themselves as much as possible, while avoiding griefing or harassing enemy teammates. Since the enemies know it is a pvp game, this might mean trying to help them become more skilled after the game, playing with them on your cross faction alt, or just blowing them up and letting them figure it out. Certainly you should never play weak ships against good players, as this is generally insulting to them.

Here's some great tips:

Do not attack friendly targets.
Enemy targets are marked in red. Attack those. If you attack friendly targets, it is rude, and does not damage the enemy. It also does not damage the friendly target. If you need to interact with friendly targets, consider a ship with green heal beams. The green beams can hit them because they are green.

Remove all red nameplates.
Red names are enemies. Remove them with blasters, mines, railguns, or by leading them to crash. The more red names you explode, the better chances your team has of winning, in general. If the red names are all clustered around their spawn, this is the best result. Not only are they not hurting your teammates, but they are all in one place for further explodering.

Remove all red nodes.
Some nodes turn red when your team is not performing properly. By ensuring that no red names are around (see above) and being close to the node, you can correct the color. The node will change to green. If there are no red nodes, this is a good result. If all nodes are green, this is the best result.

Three capping is best.
If there was a four cap, it would be better. Instead, strive for three. At some point, maybe the devs will patch in a fourth node, and then you can four cap. But for now, four capping is only legend.

Domination- Be careful with enemy cap ships
In Domination, the enemy capital ships form a blockade of defense. Do not fly too close unless you have charged plating. With charged plating, you can fly into the enemy hangar, and drop mines. You can also use distortion field to fly into range for a couple seconds, but in general, stay back. Sniping enemies as they leave their spawn is possible as well.

Team Death Match- Enemy cap ships mark good places for your mines
In team death match, the enemy cap ships serve only to mark two good places to drop mines and drones (there are others, but a third good one is halfway between the two enemy capital ships). Putting a bunch of mines and drones on the enemy cap ships works well, but enemies will often choose to spawn somewhere that doesn't trigger an immediate explosion. In this case, you will have to leave your harvest point to hunt them down. It's still worth it, though.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

tommmsunb's Avatar


tommmsunb
06.05.2015 , 01:47 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I have some different ideas.

In general, I recommend you explode enemies without mercy or reason.

The idea behind this is that players should play the game to the best of their ability and enjoy themselves as much as possible, while avoiding griefing or harassing enemy teammates. Since the enemies know it is a pvp game, this might mean trying to help them become more skilled after the game, playing with them on your cross faction alt, or just blowing them up and letting them figure it out. Certainly you should never play weak ships against good players, as this is generally insulting to them.

Here's some great tips:

Do not attack friendly targets.
Enemy targets are marked in red. Attack those. If you attack friendly targets, it is rude, and does not damage the enemy. It also does not damage the friendly target. If you need to interact with friendly targets, consider a ship with green heal beams. The green beams can hit them because they are green.

Remove all red nameplates.
Red names are enemies. Remove them with blasters, mines, railguns, or by leading them to crash. The more red names you explode, the better chances your team has of winning, in general. If the red names are all clustered around their spawn, this is the best result. Not only are they not hurting your teammates, but they are all in one place for further explodering.

Remove all red nodes.
Some nodes turn red when your team is not performing properly. By ensuring that no red names are around (see above) and being close to the node, you can correct the color. The node will change to green. If there are no red nodes, this is a good result. If all nodes are green, this is the best result.

Three capping is best.
If there was a four cap, it would be better. Instead, strive for three. At some point, maybe the devs will patch in a fourth node, and then you can four cap. But for now, four capping is only legend.

Domination- Be careful with enemy cap ships
In Domination, the enemy capital ships form a blockade of defense. Do not fly too close unless you have charged plating. With charged plating, you can fly into the enemy hangar, and drop mines. You can also use distortion field to fly into range for a couple seconds, but in general, stay back. Sniping enemies as they leave their spawn is possible as well.

Team Death Match- Enemy cap ships mark good places for your mines
In team death match, the enemy cap ships serve only to mark two good places to drop mines and drones (there are others, but a third good one is halfway between the two enemy capital ships). Putting a bunch of mines and drones on the enemy cap ships works well, but enemies will often choose to spawn somewhere that doesn't trigger an immediate explosion. In this case, you will have to leave your harvest point to hunt them down. It's still worth it, though.
I feel all of the above fits into the "Do not play with your food" category.
twitch.tv/tomeateejedota
Xi'ao'prime - Ebon Hawk / Bastion, Tomoya - Jung Ma
Otoshimono - Shadowlands/Progenitor formerly known as: Tomeateeje/Yuuko-San/Rumina/Friendlygurl/Tensai-Hikoushi/Taisetsuna/Yorimoyoi

Mintas's Avatar


Mintas
06.05.2015 , 03:34 PM | #6
I would like to say I am compassionate, but at the end of the day: RED=DEAD
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."
George S. Patton

Bolo_Yeung's Avatar


Bolo_Yeung
06.05.2015 , 03:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyanothis View Post
i agree with those and i'll add:

Don't Gloat

You won, well done you. There is no need to try to make what you think are "witty" comments or worse, log over imp/rep simply to gloat about the win. Respect the other team, if its a wargame then a GG in /1 is good enough.
Maybe... don't take enemy team member comments as a personal insult (unless you're totally sure that they meant to insult). If someone is happy about winning against your team , it is a sign of respect after all
Also, if you demand something from your opponents, ask the same thing from your guildies .

Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I have some different ideas.

In general, I recommend you explode enemies without mercy or reason.(...)
This is efficient. And honorless, especially planting mines at spawn (I know that sometimes you get involved in fight close to spawn - but farming enemies that way is plain lameness.


***

Another thing: don't use cheap tactics (like GS wall / GS-bomber deathball), unless the enemy use it first.; especially it the enemy has team clearly weaker than yours.

Drakkolich's Avatar


Drakkolich
06.05.2015 , 04:05 PM | #8
Play what you want whatever way you want and don't judge others for doing or enjoying something different.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Verain's Avatar


Verain
06.05.2015 , 04:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
Play what you want whatever way you want and don't judge others for doing or enjoying something different.
Heh, clearly, the community must pull together in the pvp-only game and agree not to pvp, or something.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Monumenta's Avatar


Monumenta
06.05.2015 , 05:06 PM | #10
'taking it easy' on new players is not how pvp games work and sounds dangerously close to medal and stat padding which is already out of control on Bergeran Colony and I assume other servers as well (correct me if this is not the case).

Imagine what kind of flack you would get telling people in the alderaan civil war or denova pvp maps asking their teammates not to 3 cap or take it easy on new players... I doubt it would end well.

Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
Play what you want whatever way you want and don't judge others for doing or enjoying something different.
^ if only