[minor spoilers] A little confused about sith names

LuggerTheHyena

I don't get it. What's up with sith names? When sith inquisitor becomes member of the dark council, he gets the name of Nox/Occulus/Imperius, yet the sith warrior does not, despite being dark lord of sith as well.

Darth Baras had his sith name despite being lord of sith, not darth, and he did not change his name after joining the Council or becoming the dark lord, yet Darth Thanaton had to become dark lord of sith to get his.

WHEN does sith get his 'special' name, after all?

I don't get it. What's up with sith names? When sith inquisitor becomes member of the dark council, he gets the name of Nox/Occulus/Imperius, yet the sith warrior does not, despite being dark lord of sith as well.

Darth Baras had his sith name despite being lord of sith, not darth, and he did not change his name after joining the Council or becoming the dark lord, yet Darth Thanaton had to become dark lord of sith to get his.

from what I see in SWTOR it depends on individual, his preferences/position/status among the Siths. Inquisitor was just a mere Lord who gained power and so Dark Council named him. Wrath on the other hand is above them and they would not dare name him like one of their own dogs - he is a Wrath, whenether Darth or Lord, it doesnt matter much as he is above those titles so it is up to his preferences - even Sith Emperor didnt call himself a "Darth" but a Lord, Lord Vitiate and who would stop him for naming himself a Darth.

It should be noted that the Warrior never ascends to the rank of Darth in his story. The title is merely given due to outcry during beta that Inquisitors became Darths and Warriors did not. I believe the same was true of Consulars and Knights, with Consulars being granted the title of Master, and Knights not. I could be wrong about that, though, as I've yet to finish my knight's story.

If you check out the codex entry on "Sith Titles" available on Korriban, it says:

"Darth: The strongest Sith Lords ascend to the position of Darth. Many take a new name at this point, symbollically embracing their transformation into something greater."

So, not all Darths choose to take a new name. Most likely Vowrawn did not. Baras and Angral didn't either, I believe, as I recall both being called Lords in Threat of Peace, nor did Malgus (he took a new name before he became a Darth). We know Darth Thanaton did, and it is very likely that Darths Marr, Ravage, Mortis, Decimus and Rictus did, as well, considering their names.

It should be noted that the Warrior never ascends to the rank of Darth in his story. The title is merely given due to outcry during beta that Inquisitors became Darths and Warriors did not. I believe the same was true of Consulars and Knights, with Consulars being granted the title of Master, and Knights not. I could be wrong about that, though, as I've yet to finish my knight's story.

If you check out the codex entry on "Sith Titles" available on Korriban, it says:

"Darth: The strongest Sith Lords ascend to the position of Darth. Many take a new name at this point, symbollically embracing their transformation into something greater."

So, not all Darths choose to take a new name. Most likely Vowrawn did not. Baras and Angral didn't either, I believe, as I recall both being called Lords in Threat of Peace, nor did Malgus (he took a new name before he became a Darth). We know Darth Thanaton did, and it is very likely that Darths Marr, Ravage, Mortis, Decimus and Rictus did, as well, considering their names.

I think it is fair to assume that he surpasses Darth title by light years and he can easily choose to use it - but why would he, hes a Wrath, chosen of the Emperor and probably combined forces of all other Siths wouldnt stand a chance against him.

Edited by Surinen

My guess would be the Sith Warrior keeps his or her real name upon being bestowed the title of Darth. For example, Athleena Mawiven becomes Darth Athleena.

As for the SI, no idea why he or she is forced to adopt a regal name. As mentioned earlier, most Dark Lords of the Sith were given new names and they lived with it. And (IMO) the DS name happens to be the worst sounding of the bunch. Darth Imperius sounds cool, Darth Occulus sounds OK, Darth Nox sounds lame.

My guess would be the Sith Warrior keeps his or her real name upon being bestowed the title of Darth. For example, Athleena Mawiven becomes Darth Athleena.

As I stated above, the Sith Warrior is never granted the rank of Darth. Just like Scourge before him/her, the Warrior remains Lord. A title is given to the character for display, but that's not part of the story so much as a way to head off complaints that Inquisitors became Darths and Warriors didn't.

Anakin was his Jedi name, he needed a new name when he because Sith. I was never Jedi, I didn't need a new name. Also my nametag shows Darth Yvi i am fairly sure.

No, Anakin was his real name, given by his mother long before he became Jedi. However by the time of the films, Sith culture had altered so much that when you became Sith you were given a new name by your master to reflect your rebirth as Sith.

Wait, what?! You're -given- a Darth name ingame? That's... silly. I mean I gather they wouldn't give Sith a free re-name at 50, but still, bleh.

This is also why I'm not that crazy about the Legacy system. I make my Sith around being Darths, and name them their Darth names. And there are no Darths with last names.

Wait, what?! You're -given- a Darth name ingame? That's... silly. I mean I gather they wouldn't give Sith a free re-name at 50, but still, bleh.

It's only for story. No one else sees Darth Nox or whatever. When you're RPing, you can still be Darth Giggity or whatever.

The Si is politically more powerful as a member of the Dark a council. Save for intervention by the Emperor, The Si is effectively the chief executive of his sphere of influence. The Wrath does not serve as an executive. He instead acts as a watchdog at the Emperor's behest. He doesn't control any aspect of Imperial life. The Wrath is outside of the normal imperial chain of command and is not over the Dark Council. His authority only extends over the Dark Council when the Emperor himself gives him that authority

The Si is politically more powerful as a member of the Dark a council. Save for intervention by the Emperor, The Si is effectively the chief executive of his sphere of influence. The Wrath does not serve as an executive. He instead acts as a watchdog at the Emperor's behest. He doesn't control any aspect of Imperial life. The Wrath is outside of the normal imperial chain of command and is not over the Dark Council. His authority only extends over the Dark Council when the Emperor himself gives him that authority

Then the Darth Council can kill him and claim they need a stronger Wrath. :p

just there is one but, hes chosen of the Emperor ( and unlike Scourge his advancement had different background ) and probably his strength is much bigger than that of all combined Dark Council members, who knows, maybe hes even equal to Emperor ( even without powering up with rituals ). Wrath per se doesnt control any ministry, but he can if he wants to. Most probably he have right to kill anyone except Hands ( but Emperor would probably spare him even them considering that Vitiate is rather careless about his pawns )

As the Head of Ancient Knowledge, I don't see the SI having that much pull over what goes on in terms of Imperial direction. They'd probably preoccupy him (or her) with digging through tombs or something.