Is Slicing still a good profession for making credits?

tehrealdealz

Sup everyone so right now I have biochem, bioanalysis and underworld as my professions but I find that i dont make much gold with these atm. all my companions are max level affection and I really want to make sure im taking advantage of that. I know back in the day slicing was really good for making credits on the side. Is it still worth it now and do you think i should power level it? Thanks in advance.

from 1 to 340 (grades 1 thru 5), slicing lockbox missions are a moderately profitable venture. Once you get into the grade 6 and 9, you break even at best.

That being said, selling grade 9 purple sliced parts - Thermal Regulators (TRs) - is very profitable. The problem is running enough of the mission "Unsliceable?" to see it; while statistics and probability indicate you will see one critical success every five runs and will generate four TRs as a result, you WILL have "bad luck" streaks of a lot of missions where you do not crit and therefore get zero TRs and you WILL be frustrated by that (there are many "crit rate broken" threads on these forums to prove how frustrating it can be). More characters with slicing mitigates this, but never eliminates it.

My question to you is, why do you not have diplomacy? Diplomacy is the mission skill that feeds biochem not Underworld Trading. With Diplomacy you could craft Prototype Nano-infused stims and profit greatly.

Except for thermal regulators I don't get anything out of slicing after my character is done leveling. Underworld materials is far more demand across the board in my opinion. It's more of a quantity over quality compared to slicing.

450 Slicing is the gatekeeper to making millions of creds in this game, but only when you have the other crew skills (Armormech/Synthweaving) to take advantage.

If you have 1 high lvl toon and just sell Thermal Regs on the GTN then slicing probably won't make you much money but multiple 450 Slicers supplying Regs to 10k affection, +5 crit, +3 legacy crafting, Synthweaving/Amormech toons critting Augments will make you millions..

450 Slicing is the gatekeeper to making millions of creds in this game, but only when you have the other crew skills (Armormech/Synthweaving) to take advantage.

If you have 1 high lvl toon and just sell Thermal Regs on the GTN then slicing probably won't make you much money but multiple 450 Slicers supplying Regs to 10k affection, +5 crit, +3 legacy crafting, Synthweaving/Amormech toons critting Augments will make you millions..

You really don't even need to go that far. Just a bunch of companions at 10k affection, preferably with +Crit on Slicing running the Rich component missions will do just fine. Post the Thermal Regulators in multiples of 4, but bigger stacks are better. Your profit will be between 60k and 80k on each set of 4.

You really don't even need to go that far. Just a bunch of companions at 10k affection, preferably with +Crit on Slicing running the Rich component missions will do just fine. Post the Thermal Regulators in multiples of 4, but bigger stacks are better. Your profit will be between 60k and 80k on each set of 4.

I buy the stacks of Thermal Regs you post on the GTN and send them to my crafters which crit 28 augments and double my money...

The point I was trying to make to op was that selling Regs individually or in stacks via the GTN is a waste. Sending Regs to your crafters is much more profitable and is the reason why Slicing is a great crew skill, but only truly shines when you have Armormech and/or Synthweaving to make 28 augments

Sup everyone so right now I have biochem, bioanalysis and underworld as my professions but I find that i dont make much gold with these atm. all my companions are max level affection and I really want to make sure im taking advantage of that. I know back in the day slicing was really good for making credits on the side. Is it still worth it now and do you think i should power level it? Thanks in advance.

I would suggest dropping Underworld Trading for Diplomacy instead, since you've gimped yourself vis-a-vis Biochem by taking it. Once you have Diplomacy, you can actually craft the good stims/adrenals.

Slicing only really shines if you have a stable of crafters to send the TRs to, and it doesn't sound like you do.

I buy the stacks of Thermal Regs you post on the GTN and send them to my crafters which crit 28 augments and double my money...

The point I was trying to make to op was that selling Regs individually or in stacks via the GTN is a waste. Sending Regs to your crafters is much more profitable and is the reason why Slicing is a great crew skill, but only truly shines when you have Armormech and/or Synthweaving to make 28 augments

You spend more time, you make more credits. You can spend less time and still make more than enough credits. The question isn't which path is "correct", because they all are, but what path is the right one for the person doing the asking.

If you want to maximize your income, yep, definitely craft those TR's into Augments. If you want to put in minimal effort and make more credits than you'll ever need (assuming you have a modicum of self control when browsing GTN), just sell the TR's raw.

This would be true if you were to crit 100% of the time, but it isn't. At most you make 20% more than someone selling the regulators and that is only if people are buying your augments as fast as you can make them.

There is a greater market for the Thermal Regulators than there is for the augments themselves because the TR's have the potential to be any augment while a crafted augment is stuck being an augment and is only useful to people looking for that particular augment.

There are entirely too many factors at play to state definitively that selling augments is better than selling TR's.

only if people are buying your augments as fast as you can make them

Anybody that regularly sells 28 augments (not Armstech ones) will tell you that's absolutely the case, you literally can't make them fast enough, they sell like hot cakes

So yea, I can 'state definitively that selling augments is better than selling TR's' because when you crit augments you double your money and you'll crit a lot when you have the right companions crafting

I'm not sure why me giving the OP solid advice regarding Slicing is even being questioned tbh?

Anybody that regularly sells 28 augments (not Armstech ones) will tell you that's absolutely the case, you literally can't make them fast enough, they sell like hot cakes

So yea, I can 'state definitively that selling augments is better than selling TR's' because when you crit augments you double your money and you'll crit a lot when you have the right companions crafting

I'm not sure why me giving the OP solid advice regarding Slicing is even being questioned tbh?

Time has an impact on ROI. So its not as cut and dry as you would think. I haven't done an analysis on TRs versus augs, but if you follow my Sig line about being broke, producing slot components have a better ROI, than augment kits do..

Maybe in fantasy land, but on my servers they do not sell like hotcakes (even if you are one of the idiots that undercuts the market price by 10k or greater while posting up two pages at a time).

SOME days SOME stat augments sale really well (quickly and at a good price).

SOME days SOME stat augments rarely sale and / or are undercut long before yours sell (returned via mailbox).

SOME days SOME stat augments are undercut so badly you'd break even / lose money even accounting for crits.

On an AVERAGE day, MOST stat augments sale at a moderate pace and are moderately undercut.

Anyways, if you have the time and have the characters / companions, running missions for TRs AND then crafting augments can net a nice profit margin.

However, just selling TRs makes credits as does just buying mats and crafting augments.

Which is better will depend on the player, their characters and companions / crew skills, their available time, their server, and even the day / time period.

Edited by DawnAskham

Maybe in fantasy land, but on my servers they do not sell like hotcakes

Sounds like you play on low pop servers which is unfortunate for you, but back in the real world on The Red Eclipse and ToFN EU they do sell like the proverbial Hotcake and have done since ROTHC

Like I said earlier, if you guys want to keep posting your TR's on the GTN i'll keep buying them. That way we both make some nice creds, except i'll make a fair bit more..

Maybe in fantasy land, but on my servers they do not sell like hotcakes (even if you are one of the idiots that undercuts the market price by 10k or greater while posting up two pages at a time).

SOME days SOME stat augments sale really well (quickly and at a good price).

SOME days SOME stat augments rarely sale and / or are undercut long before yours sell (returned via mailbox).

SOME days SOME stat augments are undercut so badly you'd break even / lose money even accounting for crits.

On an AVERAGE day, MOST stat augments sale at a moderate pace and are moderately undercut.

You're right that some days, some stuff sells and some stuff does not. But if you have all three augment crafting skills and make all the augments that sell regularly, all those "some"s balance each other out and you end up with a consistent flow of income.

It's called diversity. If you have it then those ebbs and flows in specific markets mean very little. If you don't, then those ebbs and flows have more impact.

But you do cover that :)

Which is better will depend on the player, their characters and companions / crew skills, their available time, their server, and even the day / time period.

And when all is said and done, it is a GOOD thing that some players only sell materials, and some players gather their own and craft from that pool, and some buy materials and craft from that pool, and some combine gathering their own and buying materials from others to craft. All those different strategies produce a good and viable economy.

Sounds like you play on low pop servers which is unfortunate for you, but back in the real world on The Red Eclipse and ToFN EU they do sell like the proverbial Hotcake and have done since ROTHC

Like I said earlier, if you guys want to keep posting your TR's on the GTN i'll keep buying them. That way we both make some nice creds, except i'll make a fair bit more..

I am curious, what is your profit on each sale versus the time commitment?

EX:

On PoT5, a sell price for Might 28(high demand aug) Purple is 90K. So say 85K after GTN cut.

As Psandak said you crit and get 4 TRs on a 5 mission run(I'll assuming 1 Slicer) @ 3890EA/80mins/EA= 19450cr/400mins.

+40 time to craft so 440mins total for profit around 60K(need other mats, but not as critical)=>>>>137cr/min

Now a stack of 4 TR sell price 70K, say 66K, you spend 400 mins to get the same stack in the above example:

say 46K profit=>>>>115cr/min

This general analysis shows, its about even on my server... As a casual, selling TRs is a much better route because the additional time commitment don't fit a person who can only log for a few hours at a time..

I am curious, what is your profit on each sale versus the time commitment?

EX:

On PoT5, a sell price for Might 28(high demand aug) Purple is 90K. So say 85K after GTN cut.

As Psandak said you crit and get 4 TRs on a 5 mission run(I'll assuming 1 Slicer) @ 3890EA/80mins/EA= 19450cr/400mins.

+40 time to craft so 440mins total for profit around 60K(need other mats, but not as critical)=>>>>137cr/min

Now a stack of 4 TR sell price 70K, say 66K, you spend 400 mins to get the same stack in the above example:

say 46K profit=>>>>115cr/min

This general analysis shows, its about even on my server... As a casual, selling TRs is a much better route because the additional time commitment don't fit a person who can only log for a few hours at a time..

But what you are not taking into account is that one can buy those 4TRs at 70k craft an augment in 45 minutes and then sell that augment for 85K (after GTN cut). That's a net of 15k for 45mins work. Even if you add in the GTN value and vendor cost of other materials - ~4000 credits - that's still 11k net profit in 45 min for a 244.44cr/min WITHOUT crits.

Now throw in crits. with a 28% crit chance (+5 crit comp, +3 legacy, +5 max affection, 15% base) that's better than one in four crafts will crit. For easy math let's call it one in four so for 180 minutes work (4*45mins) you net 129k (11k*4 + 85k) profit. That's 716.667 cr/min :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edited by psandak

But what you are not taking into account is that one can buy those 4TRs at 70k craft an augment in 45 minutes and then sell that augment for 85K (after GTN cut). That's a net of 15k for 45mins work. Even if you add in the GTN value and vendor cost of other materials - ~4000 credits - that's still 11k net profit in 45 min for a 244.44cr/min WITHOUT crits.

Now throw in crits. with a 28% crit chance (+5 crit comp, +3 legacy, +5 max affection, 15% base) that's better than one in four crafts will crit. For easy math let's call it one in four so for 180 minutes work (4*45mins) you net 129k (11k*4 + 85k) profit. That's 716.667 cr/min :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Touche!

I want to make babies with your mind!

And I sense much "I wouldn't want to play online-commerce-and-you" as a mmo. XD

So I'd gladly ditch the profit margin if ot saves me an hour each day of gametime.

There should be packs of crafting-time-reductions in the CM... -.- (Working each day. Comming home to spend gametime on 'making money' is just... bizarr :D )

And I sense much "I wouldn't want to play online-commerce-and-you" as a mmo. XD

So I'd gladly ditch the profit margin if ot saves me an hour each day of gametime.

There should be packs of crafting-time-reductions in the CM... -.- (Working each day. Comming home to spend gametime on 'making money' is just... bizarr :D )

To each his own.

Crafting and "playing the GTN" is something I do to kill time i.e. I have 15 to 30 minutes each morning, I sign on and do nothing but crew skills and GTN stuff. Granted I run gambit of intensity: at times I will do little else in the game and take every spare moment in my day to sign in and make it happen; and at times I will not sign on because I dread going through my characters' crew skills again (mostly commonly after a short burst of the former). But usually my interest falls somewhere in between: Taking 15-20 minutes whenever I first sign on to go through my seven characters:

1. login to a character
  2. collecting GTN sales and expired items through the mail
  3. determining what needs/should be crafted
  4. sending out companions on missions and/or crafting
  5. posting items on the GTN
  6. logoff that character
  7. rinse and repeat

And then I do stuff with whatever character(s) I feel like, not even thinking about crew skill until the next time I login.

Where are you getting the 3% for legacy from? The only legacy crafting boost is for augment slots. At best you can get 25% crit from a companion with a +5 to a crafting skill.

Right now on my server there are 68 pages of 28 augments for sale from 64k per up to 285k per (by someone who doesn't know what the heck is going on, I'm thinking).

There are 17 pages of TR's with a low of 17k and a high of 48k.

Currently 4 TR's sell for more than one augment because augments see a lot of undercutting. TR's do as well, but I've always managed to sell my TR's priced at 20k each and they always sell within a day. I've never had to relist a TR while I have had to relist augments. In fact, the only time I sell augments is when I craft them for myself or a guildie and I crit one or two too many.

Where are you getting the 3% for legacy from? The only legacy crafting boost is for augment slots. At best you can get 25% crit from a companion with a +5 to a crafting skill.

Legacy of Crafting applies to both augment slots and items that make 2 on a crit (e.g. augments).

The Legacy tooltip could be more clear - we'll look at improving it in the future. The perk itself (as noted earlier in the thread) does increase the chance of getting an augment slot on items that can have them. For items that can't, it gives you an increased chance for the effect of a critical when crafting those items (like producing an extra item).
Edited by Khevar

Right now on my server there are 68 pages of 28 augments for sale from 64k per up to 285k per (by someone who doesn't know what the heck is going on, I'm thinking).

There are 17 pages of TR's with a low of 17k and a high of 48k.

Currently 4 TR's sell for more than one augment because augments see a lot of undercutting. TR's do as well, but I've always managed to sell my TR's priced at 20k each and they always sell within a day. I've never had to relist a TR while I have had to relist augments. In fact, the only time I sell augments is when I craft them for myself or a guildie and I crit one or two too many.

Server to server things are different. I used L-RANDLE's numbers to illustrate that on L-RANDLE's server augments are a better source of credits for time invested. On my server TR and augment values are a little lower but the argument is still valid: that augments are a better credit to time ratio than TRs. But your server, at this moment in time, is different.

Which goes back to something that I mention in my Money Making Strategy Guide - that market watching is an important aspect of the process; if you fail to market watch you also fail at the "make credits not stuff" aspect.

You spend more time, you make more credits. You can spend less time and still make more than enough credits. The question isn't which path is "correct", because they all are, but what path is the right one for the person doing the asking.

If you want to maximize your income, yep, definitely craft those TR's into Augments. If you want to put in minimal effort and make more credits than you'll ever need (assuming you have a modicum of self control when browsing GTN), just sell the TR's raw.

Exactly. I used to have 10+ slicers and all crafting professions maxed out. I would craft everything that sells well. All main stat augments, augment kits, prototype stims, purple mods, etc. EVERYTHING. It was just too much time spent dedicated to that. Now I just do Biochem on my main and still make plenty of credits selling prototype adrenals, stims, medpacks and purple implants. There's really no need to work so hard to make credits in this game, but if you like spending all your time making credits then that's fine, too. It's just not necessary, though.