Sound familiar?

knowmyname

Star Wars Galaxies, 2003-2011

Do a little hunting into various MMO communities, and it's easy to find mountains of comments and threads lamenting the slow death of Star Wars Galaxies. It was an MMO that struggled throughout its entire life to find a firm footing before eventually dying due to a series of sweeping changes that killed what was so special about it in the first place. If you remove your nostalgia goggles for just a moment, what you'll see is that Star Wars Galaxies was a deeply flawed and overly complicated game. It was also one of the most unique and celebrated MMOs to ever exist, one that let you feel like a true citizen of a dynamic and evolving community.

What ultimately killed Star Wars Galaxies wasn't the servers finally closing due to Sony Online Entertainment's license for Star Wars ending, it was the controversial New Game Enhancements that stripped the game of its unique professions while also simplifying a host of other systems. John Smedley, president of SOE, would later outright apologize for the changes, regretting that the team "didn't listen to the fans when we should have." But it was already too late, players were fleeing the game in droves, and SOE tried fruitlessly for years to scrub the stains from their reputation.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-biggest-mmo-failures-in-history/

Sub in SWTOR for SWG, KOTFE for NGE, BioWare for SOE, and it is what we are currently witnessing. Don't deny it.

Ive been playing MMo's since the early days. What developers cant seem to understand is what made games like Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies great. When I logged in to both it was "what do I want to do today" it wasn't what mission do I need to run to level up. It was do I want to go run a dungeon, pvp, random missions, hang out with friends, resource gather, craft or hell just go fishing. Stop making me play a specific class! Why cant I just play the game and have my skills advance according to the way I play the game. Edited by MiguelGx

Ive been playing MMo's since the early days. What developers cant seem to understand is what made games like Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies great. When I logged in to both it was "what do I want to do today" it wasn't what mission do I need to run to level up. It was do I want to go run a dungeon, pvp, random missions, hang out with friends, resource gather, craft or hell just go fishing. Stop making me play a specific class! why cant I just play the game and have my skills advance according to the way I play the game.

I second your post. When I log into swtor I feel a little rushed, and like I've been handed a task list of things I need to do. In swg I could easily spend countless hours relaxing and hanging out with friends, just doing random things. I wish someone could marry swg and swtor into a single game.

I second your post. When I log into swtor I feel a little rushed, and like I've been handed a task list of things I need to do. In swg I could easily spend countless hours relaxing and hanging out with friends, just doing random things. I wish someone could marry swg and swtor into a single game.

Two disasters don't make a right!

People comparing KOTFE to the NGE obviously never played SWG pre-NGE.

Exactly.

KOTFE is enjoyable, the NGE was atrocious and killed any fun SWG had. It took every bit of originality the game had and flushed it down the toilet. KOTFE has not done that with SWTOR.

Exactly.

KOTFE is enjoyable, the NGE was atrocious and killed any fun SWG had. It took every bit of originality the game had and flushed it down the toilet. KOTFE has not done that with SWTOR.

Companion gearing

Level sync

Experience changes

Purple missions

PvP content

Operation changes

Heroics

Group finder changes

Event problems

Customer support issues

Companion changes

Mission turn in and rewards

SWTOR engine crashing for some players

Abilities not firing

Stealth not disabling buff and debuff effects (snow flakes, tinsel bomb, party jawa)

Movement abilities making players glitch and fly across maps or warp

Companion voices

Companion pants

Companion weapon changes

Crew skills drastically changed

General dumbing down of the game

Companions DPS and HPS high

Companion tank stance broken, same defenses as DPS and healer stances

Force user companions dots and hots tick more than tech using companions

GSF

Easy mode missions

Simplified gameplay for a simple minded casual gamer

Not all companions are the same. Classic tank companions tank better, classic DPS companions DPS better....

It's a new game enhancement when these and a longer list others have mentioned in other posts. If I go back to patch 2.5 when concealment operative abilities were removed, merged and changed it gets worse. Con op just one example.

I await your examples to support your comment...:mon_trap:

The key to the Op is SOE director admitted why they failed when they did not listen to the community. BioWare is doing the exact same thing. Don't deny it white knights

Edited by knowmyname

Companion gearing This was a niche thing. I liked it, but I prefer gearing alts to gearing companions.

Level sync This is a good thing that allowed me to more easily group with friends who weren't capped.

Experience changesKind of ambivalent about this.

Purple missions Don't understand the complaint...

PvP content Have always enjoyed PVP. Still do. I do not personally see "new" PVP content as a priority.

Operation changes What changes? Apart from scaling they're the same....

Heroics I'm sorry, how many did them before and how many do them now?

Group finder changes Good thing, imo. Not monotonous anymore like it was, to me.

Event problems Valid complaint

Customer support issues Your mileage may vary.

Companion changes Good thing, imo. People wanting to use a companion due to liking that companion outnumbered those that preferred role restrictions, I'm quite certain.

Mission turn in and rewards I don't understand the complaint?

SWTOR engine crashing for some players Your mileage may vary.

Abilities not firing No issues here unless I'm lagging. 85% of the time it's on my end (poop internet).

Stealth not disabling buff and debuff effects (snow flakes, tinsel bomb, party jawa) Valid complaint. Changing snowflakes was incredibly stupid.

Movement abilities making players glitch and fly across maps or warp Your mileage may vary. Bugs happen. This rarely happens to me, and when it does I just laugh because it amuses me, then move on.

Companion voices Valid complaint.

Companion pants Filing this under non-issue, as it takes two seconds to fix.

Companion weapon changes Valid complaint, imo.

Crew skills drastically changed....No?

General dumbing down of the game Not in ways that are bad, imo.

Companions DPS and HPS high Agreed - but I'm ambivalent. They were fine as they were at 60 with 192 gear. They're OP now, but I don't honestly mind.

Companion tank stance broken, same defenses as DPS and healer stancesYour mileage may vary.

Force user companions dots and hots tick more than tech using companions Valid complaint, but your mileage may vary.

GSF Can't comment - never played.

Easy mode missionsExample?

Simplified gameplay for a simple minded casual gamer Need more specific examples of why this is bad.

Not all companions are the same. Classic tank companions tank better, classic DPS companions DPS better.... Not my experience. On my warrior, I use Pierce as DPS, who used to be a tank, and he does as much DPS as any other classic companions with equal influence.

Don't deny it white knights

Disagreeing with your opinions doesn't mean a person is in denial. It means they do not enjoy the same things you enjoy. I enjoy SWTOR currently, and you do not. I also think comparing it to NGE is incredibly dense.

Edited by E-Zekiel