Will there ever be sandbox things ?

chubbywan

Seems like other games have more sandbox style game play. I realize this game is a theme park but do you feel there will ever be any sandbox elements?

I sure hope there'll be sandbox elements in the future. I don't really like the whole theme park thingy, but it' s where we're at now.

It sounded to me with the State of the Game blog that they at least intend to put things in to bring level 50s back to planets they visited at earlier levels. So I would guess they'll do something to make it more sandboxy. But I doubt it will ever be completely off the rails (read not another Daily area for level 50s) unless they come up with some dynamic quest mechanic to encourage revisiting previously explored areas. You can only beat up respawning trash mobs so many times without purpose before it gets old.

Tatooine has a nice big empty desert... Jokes aside.

What elements of sandbox gameplay do you think would fit in the current model of this game? Saying you want sandbox gameplay is nice, but you're not defining it at all.

Yes I am going here,,,,, galaxies, I wish it felt more user created. Player housing. Player events. More customization of. Features. I feel it's a go to point A now B etc. Even the map gives you a line to follow.

The game just feels stuffy and congested

That's true. For some reason it always feels like you're in a room somewhere, not out in the open, even if you are. Creating new planets more sandbox style would be awesome. In that case, I would't even need the old ones overhauled.

Edited by Lent_San

Yes I am going here,,,,, galaxies, I wish it felt more user created. Player housing. Player events. More customization of. Features. I feel it's a go to point A now B etc. Even the map gives you a line to follow.

I honestly hope that TOR doesn't get the same EXACT Player Housing System that SWG use to use because I'd rather not crash into abandon houses and stuff. The ONLY aspect of the Player Housing System that SWG use to use and that EQ 2 uses, are the ability to drop and move objects around our place of residence. And on that point, I'd rather they allow us to do that only to our Class Ships and to the Capital Ships if/when we get those and not allow us to place Houses down on the Worlds especially when they aren't built that way.

IF we were to ever get World Side Housing, then I would want them to be instanced similar to that of EQ 2. That and I would love if the WSH's were more Class Specific, so a Trooper buying a place would be more Bunker-esk and give off the Militarized Experience whereas a Smuggler's Place would be more extravagant in looking more like a lounge or something with hidden compartments (similar to their Ship)

The Imperial Agent's place which would show that they have everything all neat and clean on the first glance but when you inspect it more thoroughly you'd come across things from secret wall safes to hidden rooms where they would keep things from sensitive documents to easily concealed weapons to things that would be needed on covert missions. The Bounty Hunter's pad would be the equivalent of a hardcore Hunting Lodge with Mounted Animals to "Bounties" encased in Carbonite.

The Jedi Knight & Sith Warrior's respective places would be more Training oriented where they hone their lightsaber skills versus the Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor's whose places would be more built to handle their Meditations and Force Abilities. So a Sith Inquisitor's place would be able to withstand the Lightning strikes while the Consular's place would have unbreakable stuff that they'd use to levitate and whatnot. The major difference between the Jedi and Sith's places aesthetically would be the Jedi place would look similar to that of what you'd see in Jedi Temples whereas the Sith's place would be more darker.

I honestly hope that TOR doesn't get the same EXACT Player Housing System that SWG use to use because I'd rather not crash into abandon houses and stuff. The ONLY aspect of the Player Housing System that SWG use to use and that EQ 2 uses, are the ability to drop and move objects around our place of residence. And on that point, I'd rather they allow us to do that only to our Class Ships and to the Capital Ships if/when we get those and not allow us to place Houses down on the Worlds especially when they aren't built that way.

IF we were to ever get World Side Housing, then I would want them to be instanced similar to that of EQ 2. That and I would love if the WSH's were more Class Specific, so a Trooper buying a place would be more Bunker-esk and give off the Militarized Experience whereas a Smuggler's Place would be more extravagant in looking more like a lounge or something with hidden compartments (similar to their Ship)

The Imperial Agent's place which would show that they have everything all neat and clean on the first glance but when you inspect it more thoroughly you'd come across things from secret wall safes to hidden rooms where they would keep things from sensitive documents to easily concealed weapons to things that would be needed on covert missions. The Bounty Hunter's pad would be the equivalent of a hardcore Hunting Lodge with Mounted Animals to "Bounties" encased in Carbonite.

The Jedi Knight & Sith Warrior's respective places would be more Training oriented where they hone their lightsaber skills versus the Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor's whose places would be more built to handle their Meditations and Force Abilities. So a Sith Inquisitor's place would be able to withstand the Lightning strikes while the Consular's place would have unbreakable stuff that they'd use to levitate and whatnot. The major difference between the Jedi and Sith's places aesthetically would be the Jedi place would look similar to that of what you'd see in Jedi Temples whereas the Sith's place would be more darker.

Sounds awesome

Tatooine has a nice big empty desert... Jokes aside.

What elements of sandbox gameplay do you think would fit in the current model of this game? Saying you want sandbox gameplay is nice, but you're not defining it at all.

Agreed, I'm curious as to what things he considers to be Sandbox Elements and what Sandbox Elements he'd like to see added if possible.

There won't be separate player housing because your starship is your home. It would be nice though to at least be able to decorate it to some extent like tinted canopy windows, chrome wing flaps :p, .

Your ship was your home in SWG as well, yet they still had player housing.

Theme park games can add sandbox elements, the Rift did it with the Storm Legion Expansion, don't need to revamp the game to add these elements, as far as getting any here, if they are reading these forums and seeing what people are asking for, there are tone of things that are considered sanbox elements, but I am not gona hold my breath they ever make it into the game.. :(

I agree that ideally, housing would be instanced. Make it apartments on the city planets or something. However, I'd actually rather NOT see class-specific housing. That's what our ships already are: class-specific. Houses or apartments however, should be the place where a player can pick his/her own style. That part of the game should be completely sandbox: designed and arranged how the player wants, not constrained by some default style or layout.

I'd actually go even further: have apartments of varying sizes available, and simply charge a weekly rental fee (great way to reduce inflation!). The bigger the apartment, the more expensive it gets. I know I've posted the whole idea before, but it's pretty straightforward: make apartmentfloors. The entrance would be a big communal area, with doors leading to the players' personal quarters. So players would share their floor (instance) with several other players. The smaller (and cheaper) the apartments, the more people would fit on that floor. Kinda like the residential module on Citadel Station above Telos in KotOR II.

New floors or modules like these can be spawned, merged or deleted as needed. By sharing the floors you'd keep the social aspect of player villages, but without the ghost-town effect SWG suffered, and the outside of the apartments will stay in theme with the surroundings. It's only the insides that the players would get to style however they like, so neighbours won't suffer eachothers' eyesores. For guilds, there could be the option to rent entire floors for their members, and rent vendors and trainers for the communal area.

For players, it could have more features than just being their own private sandbox. Their romance companion could come live there, they could include an option to share the apartment with their alts (and have BOTH their romance companions walk around there and start a scene or something), place an account-shared inventory bank there, invite friends to hang out (obvious feature), decide to leave their doors locked or unlocked (would be great for explorers!).

Your ship was your home in SWG as well, yet they still had player housing.

However in SWTOR they stated long ago that they had no plans for player housing because they fully intended it to be your ship and adding planetary housing is just redundant and unnecessary and impedes travel.

To housing specifically...

I loved SWG housing but didnt care for the sprawl.

In a perfect world my starship would be my house, with a system in place to decorate the interior that is JUST AS POWERFUL as the interior decoration system SWG had.

I hate hooks.

I want to be able to move items around myself, position them as I see fit in the ship. I could spend HOURS working on my house in SWG, Id like to have the ability to do that here.

As for the exterior, what I would like to see is a few different colors and patterns we could use, perhaps special patterns or markings we could earn to apply to the outside of the ship. In the future it would be great to see some physical changes to the outside of the ship as it is upgraded, but colors and patterns are fine for now.

However in SWTOR they stated long ago that they had no plans for player housing because they fully intended it to be your ship and adding planetary housing is just redundant and unnecessary and impedes travel.

I'm not for or against having player housing, personally. I think it would be great if they did, but if they do not, it will not break the game for me and I will continue to play it with or without it. I just wanted to point out the fact that SWG did in fact have both ship housing and player housing.

Yeah, and that formula worked out beautifully. The LAST thing SWTOR needs is to be put into the hands of players who can't even decide whether to take a shower or not without causing an uproar.

Aye, which would be why if it were to ever, ever happen, it would have to be done in the form of Instanced Apartments