Reasons to check out SWTOR F2P - article by Michael bitton ( MMORPG.com )

BadOrb

He describes SWTOR as a "Solid Game" and I agree. So not everyone at MMORPG.com is a hater as you can see from the comments some are blinded by the bad press SWTOR gets and jump on the cool bandwagon , others on the other hand agree with Mr. Bitton . What do you think and here's the link.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/6891/Reasons-to-Check-Out-SWTOR-F2P.html

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Edited by BadOrb

I was initially put off by some of the stuff found on the Cartel Market, that is, until I realized that practically everything on the Market interacts with the in-game economy. This means that items and unlocks (including Warzone passes and Artifact equipment licenses) can be traded amongst players via person-to-person trades or even the Galactic Trade Network.

I think this part pretty much sums up the major issue with the mmorpg.com community, as they don't even bother to look or play, they just care to flame. The article isn't new btw, it's dated from 2 weeks ago. Nonetheless it was 'interesting' to read such a piece on mmorpg.com I must admit.

MMORPG.com is full of people who have nothing better to do than hate on games. SWTOR is #1 on thier list. There are a few of us who defend the game on the site. It's probrobly because bioware isnt paying for advertisement on the site and therfore allows the flaming/trolling/hate...who knows. Just dont read the comments or forums on that site.

Does it really matter if unlocks are on the cartel market if they sell for more than the f2p cap any way?

No it doesn't matter at all and it's amazing you have characters on all the current servers to back that up bravo. Anyone heard of friends buying gifts or a sub who wants to stop his sub , who has a lot of in game credits and no one has heard of trading ? All of those may have passed people by. I for one have bought many items off the GTN ( CC items ) and only a small percentage of them as in 10 % where above 350 k :).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

No it doesn't matter at all and it's amazing you have characters on all the current servers to back that up bravo. Anyone heard of friends buying gifts or a sub who wants to stop his sub , who has a lot of in game credits and no one has heard of trading ? All of those may have passed people by. I for one have bought many items off the GTN ( CC items ) and only a small percentage of them as in 10 % where above 350 k :).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Small %? Sure thing hoss

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa459/sinosleep007/market1.png

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa459/sinosleep007/market2.png

Only 2 pages of unlocks are even being sold, ALL of them over the 200k f2p cap, all but a whopping THREE of them over the 350k preferred cap.

Edited by sinosleep

article was released before f2p and its so small you can call it mini preview, so I dont see the point in this really.

if you tried to somehow come in defence of swtor against the eurogamer review, search for a 'review' maybe and not 'preview'..

and read the comments below if youre still there, see how ppl talk about it after 15 nov.

you did more harm than good lmao.

Edited by tzagheru

Small %? Sure thing hoss

Only 2 pages of unlocks are even being sold, ALL of them over the 200k f2p cap, all but a whopping THREE of them over the 350k preferred cap.

Not sure who Hoss is but anyways I said of the items I bought not the unlocks and back to my point , you can trade for one off another player using 300k or so and items. Oh and thanks for supplying a random couple of photos from 1 server proving the point you made and I didn't disagree with in the first place. How about the other 19 servers now while you are feeling your artistic photo side ? Plus if they are you friend you can have a total of 700k split between 2 characters. BTW those are player sales on the GTN not controlled in any way by bioware , so you can't actually complain about it in the CS forum. Some people whispered to many selling them on the GTN and they lowered them to 350 k the other day :).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

LMFAO are you serious? Yeah, cause server by server economies vary WILDLY in MMOs right? Oh wait, they don't, they're actually normalized to a pretty standard MMO wide economy. And no matter how anyone tries to make excuses or workarounds for it the greater point is that it pretty much doesn't matter that the unlocks are available for purchase from other players because the players that need those unlocks most can't afford the prices that they're sold at.

Trying to use the fact that the function of putting them on the GTN is available as a way of softening the blow is misleading.

LMFAO are you serious? Yeah, cause server by server economies vary WILDLY in MMOs right? Oh wait, they don't, they're actually normalized to a pretty standard MMO wide economy. And no matter how anyone tries to make excuses or workarounds for it the greater point is that it pretty much doesn't matter that the unlocks are available for purchase from other players because the players that need those unlocks most can't afford the prices that they're sold at.

Trying to use the fact that the function of putting them on the GTN is available as a way of softening the blow is misleading.

You really think economies aren't different per server ? OMG please play more mmo's you haven't played enough. The amount of people on a server differs and yes different people buy things at different prices. I have examples from my friend over the last few days on the harbinger was completely different from Ebon Hawk. Sometimes by millions. Plus the fact the model lets you sell CC stuff on the GTN so yes you can earn in game credits to buy CC items ( including unlocks ). The different types of servers also have different items that are more desirable. They can trade and add cash to the trade so as to make up the money to the amount required.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Never said there weren't any differences, simply that they tend not to vary wildly as prices tend to normalize MMO wide. Why do you think gold sellers sell their product at the same price regardless of server? Cause it doesn't really matter. While there is some server to server fluctuation it's never enough to warrant different prices, it's worth roughly the same regardless.

Any way, if anyone needs to provide proof for anything it's you. You're running into all these awesome deals, post some screen shots. I made a claim and actually backed it up, would be nice if you could do the same.

Edited by sinosleep

Never said there weren't any differences, simply that they tend not to vary wildly as prices tend to normalize MMO wide. Why do you think gold sellers sell their product at the same price regardless of server? Cause it doesn't really matter. While there is some server to server fluctuation it's never enough to warrant different prices, it's worth roughly the same regardless.

Any way, if anyone needs to provide prove anything it's you. You're running into all these awesome deals, post some screen shots. I made a claim and actually backed it up, would be nice if you could do the same.

Yeh, asides from the fact that after every server merge so far prices for items completely differed. Was I first gaining 9k on energy blade bayonets for example, then 3k and currently selling them for roughly 19k. Steady as goes those figures maintained per server. Similar things count for other items. Vanity pet eggs which went for 200k on the first server, 500k on the second, and going for about 20k after the latest merge.

Prices stabalize on servers yes, the overall economy will be pretty similar yes, but individual pricing on items can vastly differ.

Small %? Sure thing hoss

More a sign that your server is bad than anything.

I think this part pretty much sums up the major issue with the mmorpg.com community, as they don't even bother to look or play, they just care to flame. The article isn't new btw, it's dated from 2 weeks ago. Nonetheless it was 'interesting' to read such a piece on mmorpg.com I must admit.

I give major props to anyone that was willing to do a proper review by logging in and experiencing the game instead of reading the F2P comparison chart on the SWTOR webpage, since the information there is incomplete, once you get into the game you realize the mode is much more flexible than it seems.

Edited by ChazDoit

Small %? Sure thing hoss

It's a great market for subscribers who want to purchase unlocks for friends and family that are not subscribers. It's good for them, good for their friends/family, good for the player economy.

You need to widen your thinking about this IMO.

It's a great market for subscribers who want to purchase unlocks for friends and family that are not subscribers. It's good for them, good for their friends/family, good for the player economy.

And you forget that the main reason of this so called 'f2p' relaunch was to atract new players, players who start from scratch with 0 friends and might increase the sub base.

If the friends and family members of old subscribers wanted to play the game, they would have subbed til now, 13 euros is not the problem.

Some people are really having a hard time grasping the idea that a subscriber would want to buy an unlock, either for a friend or family, or even for himself if the eventually plans to unsubscribe.

Well I guess nothing should suprise me in these forums

If the purpose of the article was on the pros and cons of the cartel market as whole you'd have a point, but it's CLEARLY intended for people that are actually going to have f2p/preferred accounts.

We recently took the free-to-play experience for a test drive, and today we’ve put together a quick list of five reasons you should download SWTOR and give it a spin when it goes free-to-play.

This means that items and unlocks (including Warzone passes and Artifact equipment licenses) can be traded amongst players via person-to-person trades or even the Galactic Trade Network. This interaction makes the Cartel Market a great value even to players who don’t intend to spend a ton of money on the in-game store and even for those who never plan to drop a single dime on the game.

I'm not denying the usefulness of these features to subs, I'm denying their usefulness to the only people who actually need unlocks, warzone passes, etc. People are acting as if these items being on the GTN or tradeable makes a lick of difference to f2p players when they don't. What on earth is a f2p going to find worth trading for the cost of those unlocks when they have almost no access to the flash points that would drop anything worth the money? IF the going rate on the GTN is higher than their caps then what good does it do them?

Even Blizzard's 600lb gorilla had wild price variances across their servers - and that was after 8 years of settling in. Supply and demand dictates that whoever has the supply can demand pretty much anything they want ... and they usually will. Hope you held onto your extra Rakghoul DNA samples. Edited by GalacticKegger

.... as prices tend to normalize MMO wide....

Just wanted to point out that the Cartel Market is still new and the GTN prices have not normalized yet. You need to be patient. They will get down to prices F2Pers can afford eventually.

And from someone who actually has active characters on 3 servers I can tell you that the prices for some of these items do vary quite wildly. I can get a Nightshade Speeder on Harbinger for under 10k, while on Shadowlands the same Speeder costs upwards of 150k. And that's just this last weekend. Over the last week I've seen prices on some Cartel items drop drastically, while others have risen.

Players are testing the market, putting things up at one price, not selling and then revising their prices. It takes time for the market to normalize. Like I said, you just need patience.

:cool:

MMORPG.com is full of people who have nothing better to do than hate on games. SWTOR is #1 on thier list. There are a few of us who defend the game on the site. It's probrobly because bioware isnt paying for advertisement on the site and therfore allows the flaming/trolling/hate...who knows. Just dont read the comments or forums on that site.

I wouldnt be surprised if he was being payed for good coverage towards TOR. Or perhaps it is simply a way to stir the hornets nest around there for page hits. Although he has stated he plays TOR, I have to believe it is only because there isnt a SWG 2. The guy is an admitted sandbox fan, and if you become known as someone that hates sandoxes, not only will you be flamed for it, the mods will do their own number as well.....including Britton.

It is OK to flame on themepark gaming there.....this includes those that enjoy them. There are constantly threads in the pub which do so. Claims of ADD, cant work for things, not intelligent enough for sandboxes, etc. The opposite is not true....start a thread to call out those that play sandboxes, or why it is such a bad way to design games, and you are looking to have your thread locked, or yourself banned....if not both.

The behaviour that happens in the TOR forums is not allowed in the GW2 area. Which isnt shocking, as MMORPG has their own site sponsored guild in GW2. There was a thread that ran months about Xfire numbers in the TOR section. Some tools were trying to use it to claim 200k subs in TOR. When GW2 followed the same pattern, they were closing down those threads.

I really wish there was a site like MMORPG that gave even handed moderation regardless of the game genre.

I wouldnt be surprised if he was being payed for good coverage towards TOR. Or perhaps it is simply a way to stir the hornets nest around there for page hits. Although he has stated he plays TOR, I have to believe it is only because there isnt a SWG 2. The guy is an admitted sandbox fan, and if you become known as someone that hates sandoxes, not only will you be flamed for it, the mods will do their own number as well.....including Britton.

It is OK to flame on themepark gaming there.....this includes those that enjoy them. There are constantly threads in the pub which do so. Claims of ADD, cant work for things, not intelligent enough for sandboxes, etc. The opposite is not true....start a thread to call out those that play sandboxes, or why it is such a bad way to design games, and you are looking to have your thread locked, or yourself banned....if not both.

The behaviour that happens in the TOR forums is not allowed in the GW2 area. Which isnt shocking, as MMORPG has their own site sponsored guild in GW2. There was a thread that ran months about Xfire numbers in the TOR section. Some tools were trying to use it to claim 200k subs in TOR. When GW2 followed the same pattern, they were closing down those threads.

I really wish there was a site like MMORPG that gave even handed moderation regardless of the game genre.

Were you banned from that site?