HK-51 Quest & its PVP requirement.

WarbNull

Well, I'm strictly PVE and I have no problems with it. It is an "unknown" as in peeps like me don't know how they will fare. They assume the worst without even trying it. I guarantee you this, if PVErs knew they could hold their own without question, this wouldn't be a topic of discussion. I will step out of my comfort zone temporarily and see how it goes. I won't limit my experience. Why should I? It is part of the adventure. And guess what, if I get ganked it won't be a big deal. I will still get what I need. That segment of the population you speak of will not disrupt my fun because I simply don't think enough about them or their shenanigans to care.

I'm looking at it from a design perspective, not a performance perspective. The design known is this:

I'm soooo gonna grab a full ops group and camp the vendor, carebear tears incoming :D

So the real question is, what was the developer's intent putting the vendor in a PvP zone? Was it to foster this kind of attitude and then inflict it on the customer base? If not, the developers already have a problem on their hands vis-a-vis the customers that will be unhappy because they have to do something that is normally a voluntary play style on a PvE server. As far as I can recall there is currently no PvE mission that requires someone to do PvP that does not want to. This is the first one. If this first mission sets up packs of salivating cyber-bullies getting their jollies griefing players (see above) it will reinforce why the PvE players don't want PvP involved in their missions.

PvE players are going to look at this as/should be a PvE mission. In trying to determine the design intent I tend to believe they’d be right. The table of predictable results says if they don’t change this before it goes live they will have to move the vendor after.

Look, I like PvP, but I don’t think they are going to generate the goodwill they think they will by doing this on PvE servers. The ill-will generated will tend to alienate customers who want the HK in the PvE server they selected without having to face a full ops group camping a vendor.

Think of this too, in Outlaw’s Den expertise matters as I recall. So my full War Hero gear puts me at an advantage compared to a non-PvP geared character. I’ve had enough fights against recruits to know I can leverage that to a helluva lot of advantage. I don’t think that’s very fair to the PvE guys I run into. Now put expertise in the hands of our ops group of cyber-bullies above and have them go after our PvE solo player. How long before the solo player says this is no longer fun and, more importantly, begins to distrust the design competency of the Bioware team for coming up with this idea? My money is on the PvE mentality wins in a real dollars to doughnuts way.

In the grand scheme of risk versus reward this is a course of action easy to kill much earlier in the decision-making process than now.

Edited by DashaAdair

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer they get rid of the pvp and the hm dungeon requirements. Like I said in another thread this isn't about gear it is about story and a new companion EVERYONE should have access to period. The power of the companion will be determined by the level of gear the play has access to anyway. if they have raid gear or top of the line pvp gear so then will the companion. If not for the rest of us he will have the grape gear we can get with dailies. Content like this shouldn't be gated by how long you have to play or the amount of friends you have online.

Bioware please remove the hm instances and the pvp requirement from this companion or allow small groups/solo players to get it at a scaled down power level. In my eyes this is just as bad as paying the same sub as raiders, gear grinders, and pvp nuts for content I will never see.

I am going to assume this post has little to do with having to engage in PvP and everything to do with the fact that this will be wide open for griefing.

PvP is nothing. Griefing is another thing altogether. If there is a possibility for griefing, it WILL happen, especially on our new consolidated super-servers. This will be doubly bad simply because it is a Free-for-all zone. Anyone who believes otherwise is just fooling themselves.

The Dev team will have to take steps or they will have players raging all over the place.

boo hoo.. I went in there with one other person on the test server and we saw 3 or 4 imperial players.. we engaged each other.. had some fun and then we all went and bought the piece we needed and moved on. There is no penalty to gear or experience for a pvp encounter so what is the big deal.

I think that griefers have more interesting to do than griefing on the ghost town server that PTS is, you know like griefing on the live servers. It will happen, if you don't see that coming you are either an idiot or an hypocrite.

So let me get this straight. All of the companions in the game are strictly PVE to obtain. And, OHHH NOO, one is PVP to optain. The first in the game. And people want to complain? What happened to diversity and why should it all be obtained the same way. You shouldn't be able to avoid any content in this game to get things. You should be doing it all on a regular basis.

So let me get this straight. All of the companions in the game are strictly PVE to obtain. And, OHHH NOO, one is PVP to optain. The first in the game. And people want to complain? What happened to diversity and why should it all be obtained the same way. You shouldn't be able to avoid any content in this game to get things. You should be doing it all on a regular basis.

Its not as if you even need to PVP to obtain it. In most cases PVP will probably be avoidable.

[Emphasis added]

It's not fear of the unknown for most people. It's pretty clear it's the dislike of a known. On a PvE server, at least, it will be perceived as being disruptive for disruption's sake. .

This.

And to the PvPers saying "Oh well - you'll be forced to try it so you'll see how much fun it is - yay - more PvPers"? No. Being set upon by someone who thinks it's jolly good fun to pick a fight with me because their private parts are so tiny they can't handle an actual PvP match is really, really unlikely to make me think "Oh, look at all the fun I've been missing out on." It's more likely to confirm my already strong belief that PvP is not to my taste, and also that there are a lot of really unpleasant PvPers out there that I'd move suburbs to avoid.

Don't misunderstand me - I'll get HK, come hell, high water or the End of Days. But I won't PvP; I'll pick a time when the server is likely to be quiet, and use the post-res stealth if I have to.

Are there PvP'ers camping the NPC merchant to get their jollys?

Just join up with fellow PvE'ers and Zerg em.... problem solved... I'm even willing to spend the first two days there forming raid groups for PvE'ers so people can get their parts.... some of you guys might actually have fun....

Why do people make a mountain out of a molehill?

Because many of us have had miserable experiences in similar situations?

It isn't a PvP option. It isn't a requirement to go into a Warzone where there are defined objectives that require you to actually perform in a Warzone. In fact, that would be a better requirement than a vendor in a free-for-all PvP area where griefers will...and I emphasize WILL...hang out just to grief people heading to the vendor or at the vendor to prevent them from getting what they need to complete the quest.

Even more sad is that this grief will cross faction lines. You will have Imperial griefers griefing other Imperials, Republic on Republic...it won't matter. What will matter is that there are people out there who will gladly spend endless hours sitting in the Outlaw's Den just to grief.

Not well thought out at all. I'd welcome a requirement to do "X" number of Warzones over a vendor in a free-for-all area.

It isn't a PvP option. It isn't a requirement to go into a Warzone where there are defined objectives that require you to actually perform in a Warzone. In fact, that would be a better requirement than a vendor in a free-for-all PvP area where griefers will...and I emphasize WILL...hang out just to grief people heading to the vendor or at the vendor to prevent them from getting what they need to complete the quest.

Even more sad is that this grief will cross faction lines. You will have Imperial griefers griefing other Imperials, Republic on Republic...it won't matter. What will matter is that there are people out there who will gladly spend endless hours sitting in the Outlaw's Den just to grief.

Not well thought out at all. I'd welcome a requirement to do "X" number of Warzones over a vendor in a free-for-all area.

Well, then, you understand even more sadly for me that the vendor is right near the entrance?! Or have you never been there. For fun they should stick it in the center building!! ><

Then require succesful PVP ownership like on ilum to get your vendor to pop up!!!! LOOLL

Well, then, you understand even more sadly for me that the vendor is right near the entrance?! Or have you never been there. For fun they should stick it in the center building!! ><

Then require succesful PVP ownership like on ilum to get your vendor to pop up!!!! LOOLL

It's not near the entrance. :rolleyes:

People will complain about everything. Just stick the vendor on the middle of some planet and don't tell anyone where he is. That should make people feel safer about not running their cartoon character to their possible 10-second respawn.

People will complain about everything. Just stick the vendor on the middle of some planet and don't tell anyone where he is. That should make people feel safer about not running their cartoon character to their possible 10-second respawn.

That would definitely help from having to keep explaining to others where the Vendor actually is, instead of them actually reading the guides to see where he really is.

You know I actually like your idea. To me that would also be a lot better than having a PVP zone. To expand on it, they could make the Vendor Randomly Spawn on Different Planets and at different locations each time and only stay there for a short amount of time. Have the Spawns Random so you can not predict them, but just eventually know the general areas. This way it slows people down from getting the HK-51 and makes it harder to locate him when you need to. It would bypass this PVP issue. I could also see that method making people socialize by telling others that they have spotted him and to hurry up and get there if they need to.

I think that would be a lot more fun.

You know I remember other MMO's having Random Spawn NPC's before that were rare and hard to predict. People would spend hours trying to find them so they could get that rare loot. You do not see that much anymore. At least I have not in some time.

Having the Vendor have Random and Hard to predict spawns would be a fun change of pace in this game. At least I think so. Call me Crazy but that actually sounds like fun to me. :rolleyes:

Please get over it people. Bioware is doing something awesome by giving us an amazing companion, one we all obviously want. do the content and enjoy it. Open world pvp is something the game is lacking and this will help. When the vendor is being camped we will have to round up some pvpers and go to war, then we will camp it while we have control... trust me it will be fun... Oh wait most of you guys have this idea that it is more fun to just be given everything on a plate with no effort, sorry I forgot what generation of people I was addressing.

Honestly I do not mind this.

Short of the rakghoul event, Outlaws Den has not seen alot of traffic and this will be a good boost in World PVP. My guild and I already intend to form multiple groups to do these series of quests so it shouldn't be a problem. Yes there will be trolls and griefers, as with all MMOs; but on the other end of that the other players just want to get their quest done as well.

I enjoy both PvP and PvE and I am confused by about half of the posts in this thread. Since I am obviously mentally incapable of understanding these posts I have some questions.

1) Why are so many people so scared to let their video game character lie on the digital ground for 10 seconds?

2) Why does everyone keep saying that HK is PvE content, when it is clearly OPTIONAL content?

3) Why are there people that play this MMO that are so dead set against PvP to the point that will not go get the coolest companion in the history of TOR?

HK is not a necessary component to being successful in any endgame PvE content, and since each class already has a stable of companions this new OPTIONAL companion is not necessary for any lowbie PvE content either. IMO this makes this cosmetic content. Also, I have played many MMOs and I have never seen a PvE community so against PvP. I think you people that say you will not do this quest chain because of maybe dying to another player really just want to play a single player game. I say since this is OPTIONAL content all of the whiners can just OPT not to do it and leave HK for those of us brave enough to go get it.

HK-47 was the single most popular character from KoToR.

There are those who despise pvp to the point that they will change servers if it would help avoid it.

I just wish they had truely separated pvp and pve by server. Yeah sure let people flag 24/7 if they want to but get rid of the open pvp areas on a pve server. This way bioware can really see who likes open pvp or not cause all the pvpers would goto pvp servers and if it was really that popular those servers would be over flowing and they would need more servers.

I have never liked the meshing or blending of pvp and pve. Spvp is different. Thats a choice to participate and should be there for everyone. but OWpvp should only be on pvp servers. Or if one goes into the OWpvp area it should warp you to the pvp server zone. pop up a little window asking if you want to goto the pvp area. If you say no then you still get to go into the zone but its PVE.

That would definitely help from having to keep explaining to others where the Vendor actually is, instead of them actually reading the guides to see where he really is.

You know I actually like your idea. To me that would also be a lot better than having a PVP zone. To expand on it, they could make the Vendor Randomly Spawn on Different Planets and at different locations each time and only stay there for a short amount of time. Have the Spawns Random so you can not predict them, but just eventually know the general areas. This way it slows people down from getting the HK-51 and makes it harder to locate him when you need to. It would bypass this PVP issue. I could also see that method making people socialize by telling others that they have spotted him and to hurry up and get there if they need to.

I think that would be a lot more fun.

You know I remember other MMO's having Random Spawn NPC's before that were rare and hard to predict. People would spend hours trying to find them so they could get that rare loot. You do not see that much anymore. At least I have not in some time.

Having the Vendor have Random and Hard to predict spawns would be a fun change of pace in this game. At least I think so. Call me Crazy but that actually sounds like fun to me. :rolleyes:

I was just being snarky, but your idea could work rather well.

The problem here isn't the aspect of PvP - it's the ******ery that will come along with this. You are going to have people do nothing more than to sit and gank anyone that comes near a vendor. They won't be there to have anything to do with HK-51, it's griefing, and disruptive to game play.

This doesn't belong in a place where an all class quest is - you want to act like that, then go do it in the PVP zones.

I personally think it's a mistake to put it in there, so I will go on a class that will stealth, and then buy the Legacy to allow my other characters to have it.