Is this class quest any fun?

DragonAgeOrgins

That is not very encouraging words considering after this I would have completed every class there is in TOR. I keep hearing the twisted reviews. I read an old post how a guy was level 48 wondering if the story would ever pick up. I'm tempted to spend Cartel Coins unlocking the legacy perks.

But if it's not worth it, why try it.

the only reason this story is "bad" is that some other stories are better. i do have to agree i felt like i was the only competent jedi in the game. you are also considered a hero for doing other things than killing a guy and going "derp im a hero!"

i went through the story 100% light side. i have heard that the story is a little better if you go dark side. i also think that the end of chapter 3 makes up for the slow parts in the story, but thats my opinion...

My personal opinion. If you pass through chap 1 which is long and boring, although it does have an element of agatha cristie, then chap 2 (diplomat) is good and chap 3 plain awesome. In a nutshell your mission as a consular if you accept it is to save and protect the Jedi order. This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds. Good luck. Edited by MusicRider

I agree with the guy above me. I didn't really care for Chapter 1 (it felt really tedious, to be honest), but things picked up in Chapter 2 and began to get pretty exciting. I haven't had a chance to dive into Chapter 3 yet, but it has potential.

Having run through the story twice, as a DS Sage and an LS Shadow, I honestly preferred the LS path. It just felt more legitimate/realistic, especially since the DS options for your quest feel more like "I'm a vindictive murderer that is willfully killing you rather than saving you", and it does seem kind of odd that you get lauded and (spoiler) placed on the Jedi Council if you're oozing Dark Side and killing people rampantly, unless you're using some kind of outside justification not really supported by the written lines (the justification most often used is "you may be evil, but you're evil working for our purposes and working within our guidelines" or simply assuming that the people you're reporting to trust your answers implicitly and never bother to check or even wonder why so many people you seem to encounter just end up dying in a continual string of coincidences and failed attempts at redemption/conversion).

To enjoy the Consular story, you have to enjoy the world building and development of side characters more than or as much as running around killing bad guys and doing awesome adventure-y things. The best comparison would be that the Knight story is like KotOR 1 (wherein you play Revan, running around doing awesome things, with an explicit and well known villain right from the start, and your companions are really just there as color on your path to awesomeness) whereas the Consular is more like KotOR 2 (wherein you play the Exile, spending most of your time dealing with problems with complex solutions and outcomes, moral dilemmas, and NPCs that are more than just scenery, not to mention always fighting a "mystery evil" that you're not even sure who it is or what they look like until you finally confront them/force them to reveal themselves).

The Knight is, explicitly, a warrior, and their story follows that vein quite closely; the Consular, on the other hand, is a diplomat, a teacher, a secret keeper, and an investigator. It's a much more complex job description and, as such, requires a story with more mystery, lore, and world building than the action/adventure of the Knight story.

Personally, I loved the Consular story and preferred it over the Knight one. The Knight felt more akin to being told to "go hunt down X" over and over again. It was just a continual series of explicit commands. The Consular quest seemed to provide a story with much more open ended and complex problems (Jedi Masters are going crazy throughout the Republic; figure out the cause and solve it however you feel is best for Act 1, diplomacy and mystery for Acts 2 and 3). Of course, the fact that you ride at the head of 3 personal armies of elite ***-kickers at the end of the story probably helped a bit (although you don't actually get to see any of said armies, except for their leaders).

The Consular story is strange in that, unlike most of the other stories which are either love-it-or-hate-it or largely considered to be mediocre, the Consular story runs the entire gamut of utterly despised to favorite overall story, which is one of the reasons why it's so hard to explicitly pin down. It's definitely got elements that some people won't really like (the companions definitely take some getting used to since you get a *single* Force user who is a bit saccharine for some peoples' tastes, though the "slow" progression of the story and lack of major confrontation right from the start often come up), but it's also got some that, what I will call, a more "refined" palette will appreciate more (mystery, diplomacy, world building). It's hard to say with any accuracy whether a person will or won't like the Consular story. It's just one of those things that you have to try out to see if you like it or not.

Thanks for the above post. I do find missions that aren't just fighting and actually solving some problems are interesting. Perhaps I will give it a try. I guess the only way to know for sure is to play it. I'm finishing my Trooper as we speak and as soon as that is complete I can start on this storyline.

After finding out it was written by a former Mass Effect Fan fiction author on the Bioware forums, it seemed to explain it all. Just felt so lack luster and jumbled together. When you compare it to the other stories just feels below par.

The reason people don't like it is because your choices have NO consequences what so ever.

This is spot on.

**Spoilers**

You end up building an alliance, allegedly 'leading' an army, becoming a Jedi Master (and sitting on the Council by the end), and having numerous 'choices' of how to deal with people...

... All of which have no consequences whatsoever. You can't do anything to make your 'army' stronger, in fact you can't even use it; they do nothing other than act as scenery in your quest cutscenes; it exists purely for the benefit of dialogue.

You gain no perks for being made a Master (that Master's Retreat from the beginning of the game? Yeah, just an empty building with nothing in it); hell NPCs don't even react differently to you depending on your rank or repute other than in sycophantic quest dialogues.

All in all, it could be rather grandiose and wonderful, but it's not. Bioware has succeeded in making a game in which your actions and choices go entirely unrewarded and without consequences in reality, other than affecting what a quest NPC says to you in a cutscene dialogue (and sometimes not even that). I ended the Consular story feeling entirely unfulfilled - cool, I now sit on the Jedi High Council. Except, I don't, do I? Not even in my own single player way. Even my companions don't acknowledge it.

Frustrating and unfulfilling.

Consular is the best story in the game hands down.

It comes with extreme depth and development, with a lot going on behind the scenes with intrigue.

However this comes at the price of less bang bang, in your face story progression.

It's the best story, in terms if you were going to watch it or read it.

Not so much the best interactive story, however. ADD kiddies won't find much from it.