Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Here's our chance GSFers

AztecSoul
02.15.2015 , 11:34 PM | #11
I'd personally like to see more varied maps. For example, getting a new battle location on an ice planet, another on a volcanic planet, either at high or low altitude would make for some more varied flight experiences. These are essentially 'fluff' visual additions, but something I certainly wouldn't mind seeing.

Drakkolich
02.16.2015 , 02:51 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AztecSoul View Post
I'd personally like to see more varied maps. For example, getting a new battle location on an ice planet, another on a volcanic planet, either at high or low altitude would make for some more varied flight experiences. These are essentially 'fluff' visual additions, but something I certainly wouldn't mind seeing.
Coming to a Queue near you "Volcanic Kuat Mesas Domination" It's exactly like the other map only we made the bottom out of Lava!

Also Enjoy the brand new map "Icy Shipyard that can't find their way home Domination" It's exactly like Lost shipyard domination only the asteroids are made of Ice!
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

AztecSoul
02.16.2015 , 03:33 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
Coming to a Queue near you "Volcanic Kuat Mesas Domination" It's exactly like the other map only we made the bottom out of Lava!

Also Enjoy the brand new map "Icy Shipyard that can't find there way home Domination" It's exactly like Lost shipyard domination only the asteroids are made of Ice!
Talk about a narrow interpretation to a general desire for increased variety in battlegrounds. Heck, I'm not even saying the lack of map variety is exactly game-breaking, either.

Well, since we're nitpicking at a minor idea that is admittedly only cosmetic in nature... Shall we nitpick at basic grammar?

*their vs there

Drakkolich
02.16.2015 , 04:02 AM | #14
Talk about a narrow interpretation to a general desire for increased variety in battlegrounds. Heck, I'm not even saying the lack of map variety is exactly game-breaking, either.

Well, since we're nitpicking at a minor idea that is admittedly only cosmetic in nature... Shall we nitpick at basic grammar?

*their vs there
Lol Thanks for the grammar fix typed it fast while laughing, was just trying to be funny. This joke was aimed at my friend Verain didn't mean to insult your idea.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

AztecSoul
02.16.2015 , 05:03 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
Lol Thanks for the grammar fix typed it fast while laughing, was just trying to be funny. This joke was aimed at my friend Verain didn't mean to insult your idea.
No worries, it's all good

Caernos
02.16.2015 , 09:09 AM | #16
Actually a volcanic planet and an "Ice Ring" could be pretty interesting battles depending on how they did them.

For example, on a volcanic planet they could have lots of columns of smoke you could fly through while trying to lose your enemies. Now, of course You can get a sensor lock on people, but visually they wouldn't be able to see what's on the other side of that smoke. So you fly through a column of smoke and cut a sharp turn around a rock, the bogey on your tail adjusts to try and get a lead on you, flies through the smoke too and wham, hits a rock cropping he didn't see. Plus, falls of magma could make pretty interesting obstacles to try and weave in and out of.

An ice ring could do some pretty interesting stuff too. For example you could have large balls of ice with a tail and in the tail are much smaller chunks of ice, hundreds of them, that if you hit will cause problems for you and your ship. It's the tail of an ice ball so to speak. Also, anyone seen Titan A.E.? The final sequence of the movie takes place in an ice field, Bioware could set up some balls of ice with large caverns and passages through them.

But yeah, if they just did a repaint of Kuat Mesas and Lost Shipyards...well it would be nice to have "new" scenery, but I'd rather have entirely new maps.
Cynfor Cinderheart and the Cinderheart Legacy: The Ebon Hawk
The FanFic Works of Caernos:
Red Invitation, Parents,
Beskar Bonds and Cinder Hearts

Lorica
02.16.2015 , 09:14 AM | #17
Star Citizen is going to hurt SWTOR. How severe, I do not know. I am sure Elite Dangerous has either taken some players or distracted some away from SWTOR temporarily for a more space combat like feel. Of course, Star Wars and Jedi diehards will remain loyal. Maybe one day, and if Star Citizen delivers what is promised, Star Wars will be released in a Star Citizen format. I will continue to play SWTOR until Star Citizen goes into full beta release or Gold release or Star Citizen fails to deliver. Until then, I will be playing both SWTOR and Alpha/Beta Testing Star Citizen.

Elite Dangerous is in full release and currently comes in second for the re-emergence of Space Sims potential. Check out some of the videos on both games especially with Voice Attack (both SC and Elite Dangerous) and ASTRA (Primarily Elite Dangerous but you can finesse a Star Citizen profile as well).

It may be that EA Bioware is waiting to see how Star Citizen (SC) and Elite Dangerous (E : D) pan out. I know that the lack of Joy Stick/HOTAS support for GSF has kept me away from it. Both SC and (E : D) have HOTAS and Oculus Rift Support. In addition, I know SC has TrackIR support, not sure if (E : D) has it yet.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...s/Teufelhunden

steyates
02.16.2015 , 12:14 PM | #18
I wouldn't worry too much about Elite Dangerous at the moment. I was an Alpha backer for that game and the dev's have released it way too early with very barebones content, it's essentially the 1984 game with better graphics. Even key multiplayer features (like the ability to form groups) are completely missing. If you like pvp play then GSF beats it hands down. The flight model for the game is nice and it does support things like occulus rift (too much emphasis on that in my opinion, which leads to a clunky user interface for everyone else) and trackir.

Nemarus
02.16.2015 , 01:09 PM | #19
I think both Elite and Star Citizen have space combat that is far too slow-paced when compared with GSF.

I think the likeliest competition for GSF (and SWTOR in general) is Star Wars Battlefront, another EA property.

Past Battlefront games have already allowed scenarios where you take off from one capital ship, dogfight, and then board another capital ship and kill things with your blaster or lightsaber.

The new one is allegedly going to support missions involving full space-to-atmosphere-to-ground transitions.

Now I suspect the dogfighting will be a bit simpler than GSF (no cooldown abilities or ship customization), but it'll be fast paced and Star Warsy. I think it will be hard for GSF to compete with that in terms of attracting general audiences. That may be another reason why BioWare is not investing heavily in it anymore.

EA has likely decided/decreed, "Battlefront is our product for Star Wars space combat. SWTOR is our product for Star Wars story-centric roleplaying." As much as I love GSF, that is an entirely sensible and fair decision for EA to make--it plays to the strength of each game.

One bright spot--if Battlefront space combat is "good enough", we GSFers should continue making a guild or clan or whatever.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

Lorica
02.16.2015 , 02:12 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
I think both Elite and Star Citizen have space combat that is far too slow-paced when compared with GSF.
Maybe Elite Dangerous but it is too early to tell for Star Citizen. Alpha testing dog fighting in Star Citizen can get pretty fast paced even in Drone (AI) mode.

I'll check out Battlefront too.