Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How about a Death Match in space.....in real space, zero obstacles.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How about a Death Match in space.....in real space, zero obstacles.

ALaggyGrunt
02.19.2014 , 12:34 PM | #21
I'd rather see a fight where the asteroids were moving and bumping into each other. Try pitching a tent in that.

We actually would see bombers in that fight, though.

bigbobsr
02.19.2014 , 12:37 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by okiobe View Post
Trying to dogfight in a missle and railgun fest. No thanks.

Seeing this comment makes me think you are frustrated people are avoiding your missile locks and using obstacles to counter you play style.

EDIT: The large structure suggestions is interesting. But that strictly speaking isn't open space.
I am not frustrated about any aspect of GSF, I just like diversity in battle area. If a game ever becomes frustrating to me I will stop playing it. It is only a game after all. Battle over land base targets would be nice to. Close in troop support. And other such stuff. Flying in a moving asteroid field would be fun and challenging also as someone else mentioned.

Thanks for your comment......bob
█||||||||(•)Ξ████████████████████████████████)

okiobe
02.19.2014 , 01:03 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by bigbobsr View Post
I am not frustrated about any aspect of GSF, I just like diversity in battle area. If a game ever becomes frustrating to me I will stop playing it. It is only a game after all. Battle over land base targets would be nice to. Close in troop support. And other such stuff. Flying in a moving asteroid field would be fun and challenging also as someone else mentioned.

Thanks for your comment......bob
Fair enough.

I can see how open space could work with dynamic objectives. This is what made the old x-wing, tie fighter, and x-wing alliance games so fun. They had staged mission with changing objectives. For example you would hyperspace in to a enemy rendezvous point. Mission 1: disable the VIP transport ship. Once done an allied ship comes to retrieve the VIP. All of the sudden a enemy capital ship enters the area. Mission 2: Protect the VIP retrieval team. Once the VIP is secure the allied ship can't hyperspace. Mission 3: take out the enemy capital ship hyperspace interdiction generator. Once done you can all hyperspace out and the mission is complete.

If there could be something like this I would be all for open space combat zones. I don't know if the current game engine could support something like that.
The HarbingerThe First Order
Okiobe 55 Commando Mirque 55 Operative
The Ebon Hawk - Mujo
www.twitch.tv/okiobe

Helig
02.19.2014 , 02:11 PM | #24
No cap ships (just a respawn point), no debris, no nothing just....well, space. Maybe a sun and planets as a back drop or a spiral galaxy or other such fantastic scene from actual universe.

No place to hide no place to run.

I mean, really, there is kinda a lot of empty space out there....scientific terms: A whole bunch of nuthin'

EDIT: 3 or 4 respawn points per side.
Gunship hidden agenda detected.

So no.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

Zoom_VI
02.19.2014 , 02:14 PM | #25
I just want a TDM where you can only bring scouts.
PEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEWPEW
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

CaliJoe
02.19.2014 , 02:30 PM | #26
The match would probably be completed in 30 seconds because of who had the more powerful guns in a head on clash.
Wild speculation on forums? When does that happen? The Harbinger - Fumanshu Legacy
Repub: Jafaean(Arms), Zelgen(Artifice), Espellah(Cyber), Jabender(Synthweave)
Imp: Vindrock(Armor), Antshell(BioChem), Li'Larish, Kenevil

Ramalina
02.19.2014 , 02:30 PM | #27
For a real empty space battle I think you might need a bigger flyable volume. Part of what made open space battles work in the old X-wing series was that space didn't have borders, and there was no boost. That meant that engine speed and strategic maneuvering could be hugely important (and a ship as slow as a gunship or bomber might not make it to the battle before the scouts and strikes had already decided the outcome).

Even if you started at the long ends and disabled boost, I'm not sure that the flyable volume in GSF is big enough for that kind of maneuvering to become a factor. I'm pretty sure that we won't see larger flyable spaces than we already have.

Another thing to mention is that AI circa 1993 were far better at staying on mission and coordinating maneuvers than the average GSF pug player is. That's a huge handicap for scouts and strikes in an empty space scenario. With a premade and VOIP you could still give gunships and bombers a bad day, a pug with the coordination of a flock of headless chickens maybe not so much.

As I've pointed out in other threads, if you're fighting around objects of interest, they had better be the enemy's objects of interest. If they aren't it means that you failed to keep the enemy out of territory that you shouldn't have let them into in the first place. Translation, if both sides are at least marginally competent empty areas are where battles tend to happen. You can make some exceptions to take advantage of fortifications and artillery, but that's risky because if you loose the battle you also loose that valuable resource. Hard to fall back to the fort(space station) you just lost.

In the StarWars galaxy of course, your ideal empty space for a fight is the intersection of hyperspace routes. Due to mass shadow effects on hyperdrives, they should be very free of obstacles.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Vid-szhite
02.19.2014 , 02:36 PM | #28
No cap ships (just a respawn point), no debris, no nothing just....well, space. Maybe a sun and planets as a back drop or a spiral galaxy or other such fantastic scene from actual universe.

No place to hide no place to run.

I mean, really, there is kinda a lot of empty space out there....scientific terms: A whole bunch of nuthin'

EDIT: 3 or 4 respawn points per side.
If you think gunships are bad now, just wait till there's nothing in their way. Hiding spots are important.

nyghtrunner
02.19.2014 , 04:01 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kane_Ren View Post
I would prefer a low altitude fight through coruscant, or a dense shipyard with many gantrys and semi constructed ships, or flying through an actual moving/active asteroid field. At least something where real flying skill is required, instead of drone placement and rail sniping.
Oh god yes. TDM Kuat Mesa (or DOM, for that matter, but the colors are less interesting) is very much like a low altitude dogfighting map, and I think it's honestly one of the more beautiful environments in the game. The sunset colors on the horizon, all the pillars and canyons and structures to fly through... It makes me a little sad that so much action tends to gravitate towards the capital ships for the TDM version, because there's so much space that doesn't get used for flying and fighting.

But on the off occasion I'm on a team that is stomping the opposing team, I'll often just break off and just run through the canyons and such by myself. If I've got 10+ kills, and it's 30-10 or something, chances are the team we're facing is a bunch of new players, and I get no joy out of rubbing their noses in it anymore. As such, I'd rather just use the canyons and fly around and enjoy the sights, maybe occasionally fly back into the action and see if I can get someone to follow me into the canyons and such. It really is an intricate environment, and I'd love to see more like them.
Master, I marked the best escape pod for your use. I of course, will go down with the ship.
Graendahl / Semírhage : Hawkë / Mierín

Jandi
02.19.2014 , 04:26 PM | #30
The ships are way too slow un-boosted for it to be anything but a snorefest. They should at least triple the non-boosted speed of ships to make GSF more interesting. Now it's a duckhunt game. While we're at it, double the range of all weapns as well with the speed tripling.

Calling GSF "fast-paced" is a blatant lie.