Jedi are just puppets?

SandalRavage

So i finally got around to playing through a jedi knight and had gotten to level 25 but the more i look at it the more i realize that the Jedi Order at this point are just slaves to the Republic, every time i talked to a senator, the light sided option were almost always bowing to their whims.

So whats your guys opinion?

My parcel is 3min late summon me a Jedi

Someone scratched my car hire a Jedi to sort it out

Someone else is living in my house Summon a Jedi

I'm a nice person at heart, but some of the stupid bickering I have to settle just because I have a Glowing stick of plasma is silly.

Currently on Tant, had two people arguing over weather to leave or stay at an outpost, one of my responses was.

"If you two stop bickering, I'll help"

Got me some negitive affection with Kira, but the amount of -Quarrals- I sort out is silly, And worse is I don't get to blow any steam off with Kira just because I'm a Female. :S

Yes it was a bad day, Hoping today will be better :p

Of course the Jedi are puppets. They're blind too (metaphorically). They're not entirely "slaves" to the Republic, like with the Mandalorian Wars: the Council forbid going to war while others like Revan and Malak (and some nameless Jedi that was the "last" one afterward). If they don't follow the Republic blindly then they're following the "will of the Council" blindly.

The only way any Jedi can actually be free, or at least not a puppet, is if he was a Dark Jedi. At least they have the gall and raw power (emotion) to do whatever the **** they want.

So, when you force a semi-corrupted senator to reveal her dark secrets in order to maintain at least some decency, you're doing her a favor?

When you refuse a senator's orders on moral grounds, you're bowing to their will?

The Jedi are certainly servants, but not to the senators, or the Senate. They have chosen servitude to the Republic and all that they believe it should stand for.

[/soapbox]

Jedi = sacrifice themselves to do what is best for the community/galaxy. They support equal freedom, rights and justice for everyone in galaxy. They are more of a religious Order, acting to serve a greater power and purpose.

Sith = sacrifice the community/galaxy to do what is best for themselves. Each Sith supports the complete individual freedom of himself/herself, they only help or serve others if it is in their own interests. They are more of a evolutionist Order, survival of the strongest, the strong dominate and devour the weak.

Edited by AngelousWang

The Jedi have always been puppets. If not to the Republic, then to their Council, if not to the Council, then to their antiquated and anti-human moral code and their utopian ideals.

Nobody is free in the Republic, nor within the Jedi Order. They are slaves in such a way that they cannot even acknowledge that they are anymore. Their chains are chains of the mind and their cage is gilded, yet the oppression they suffer is far more sinister than any Empire or indentured servitude.

Jedi = sacrifice themselves to do what is best for the community/galaxy. They support equal freedom, rights and justice for everyone in galaxy. They are more of a religious Order, acting to serve a greater power and purpose.

Sith = sacrifice the community/galaxy to do what is best for themselves. Each Sith supports the complete individual freedom of himself/herself, they only help or serve others if it is in their own interests. They are more of a evolutionist Order, survival of the strongest, the strong dominate and devour the weak.

The exertion of force, which is basically what the Sith is all about, doesn't negate the will to form a society in the context of community/galaxy for the glorification of the individual or his aspirations.

The very existence of the Sith Empire and the forced cooperation between the Siths, by the will of the Emperor, shows this.

Your dichotomy is false.

Edited by Luckmann

So i finally got around to playing through a jedi knight and had gotten to level 25 but the more i look at it the more i realize that the Jedi Order at this point are just slaves to the Republic, every time i talked to a senator, the light sided option were almost always bowing to their whims.

So whats your guys opinion?

Being a Jedi is TOTAL sacrifice of anything that is selfish. even ones feeling. The only thing that exists IS the Force.

Total sacrifice.

The exertion of force, which is basically what the Sith is all about, doesn't negate the will to form a society in the context of community/galaxy for the glorification of the individual or his aspirations.

The very existence of the Sith Empire and the forced cooperation between the Siths, by the will of the Emperor, shows this.

The Sith do not want community, they only have it because it useful.

The Sith Empire exists for one reason; to support the Imperial Army, the Imperial Army exist for one purpose; so the Emperor can conquer the galaxy and defeat the Republic.

If there was a better way to conquer the galaxy and defeat the Republic, the Sith Empire would not exist.

As for why the lesser Sith "cooperate", that is because it is in their own (survival) interest to do what the Emperor tells them. If it wasn't everyone of those lesser Sith would be doing whatever they wanted and at war with each other.

In fact it is Darth Vitiate's ultimate goal to kill all life in the galaxy except himself, just to ensure his own eternal survival.

The reason he keeps lots of lesser Sith around is so he has a large supply of force user to "devour" when he kills the galaxy (as he will need the power boost from them).

If your wondering why he hasn't killed the galaxy yet, that is unknown and big mystery of SWTOR

Edited by AngelousWang

The Sith do not want community, they only have it because it useful.

The Sith Empire exists for one reason; to support the Imperial Army, the Imperial Army exist for one purpose; so the Emperor can conquer the galaxy and defeat the Republic.

If there was a better way to conquer the galaxy and defeat the Republic, the Sith Empire would not exist.

As for why the lesser Sith "cooperate", that is because it is in their own (survival) interest to do what the Emperor tells them. If it wasn't everyone of those lesser Sith would be doing whatever they wanted and at war with each other.

Which is basically what I said. The exertion of force doesn't negate the will for a galactic community or cooperation. Just because there are reasons behind what you are doing - no matter what they may be - doesn't change that fact.

The choices of me, as a Sith, is what define my will. My will may be anything I want. It is a sad fact that many Sith chooses to exert their force in such a way as to erode society, but it is in no way necessary, a scripture, or Sith dogma to do so.

It is my will that others cooperate.

So they do.

This is in no way different from the way the Republic or the Jedi function - murderers do not walk free on the streets of Coruscant any more than they do in Kaas City; It is not their will that they do and they back that will up with force when need be. But it is far more honest.

Edited by Luckmann

So... Jedi are slaves to the greater good, while Sith are slaves to their desires except when they're being dominated by others with greater power and the same philosophy, then they're slaves to them, directly.

One can argue semantics all day, but you have to choose what holds actual value in the end.

Edited by ObiQuiYett

• 2 weeks later...
The Jedi serve the Force, the Jedi Council and the Republic, in that (descending) order. Assuming that the Republic's needs don't go against the will of the Force or the dictates of the Council, yeah, the Jedi are cool with it. Edited by smartalectwo

In TOR? the entire Tython storyline makes me think that until the PC (specifically the JK) comes along, the Council and the Order are absolutely puppets for the Senate.

I find myself wondering how it serves the Force for the Council to bow to the Senate and let the Twi'lek settlers get dragged off and eaten by the Flesh Raiders. What, it's ok if the Twi'lek get eaten, but Flesh Raiders attacking Jedi padawans is somehow terrible and actions must be taken! What happened to self-sacrifice and protecting the weak? For that matter, why didn't the Council simply say "Thanks for the advice, but as the governing body for planet Tython, we'll handle planetary affairs as we see fit"?