Exploits and Galactic Command

EricMusco

making the gear up a lottery is the badest move in an MMO

I gotta agree with this 100%

I really don't like this new "gambling" system of getting gear. I have a character around lvl 50 command who has 2 set peices from the command boxes and a lvl 9 sniper with the same number of set pieces. My (Command) lvl 40 something

Alt has 1 set item. So my level 9 sniper has more set pieces then my level 48ish alt.

This is insanity to me. Your leveling up (Except for the tiers) means nothing in regards to getting set items. It's just a total gamble on what gear is gonna pop outta that command crate unless you pvp.

At least the Pvp system works where you can be upgrading your gear as you gain levels in pvp. This is how an MMO should reward your time invested into the game.

The problem for me and I'm sure a lot of others out there, I don't pvp.

So if you don't want to PVP they are now forcing you to play through 100s of command levels to "Maybe" update your gear.

IMHO this is the Worst mistake SWTOR has made since the games release. People (Myself included) are starting to get tired of opening box after box of junk that goes nowhere but furthering your next command level. I myself am starting to consider leaving the game again due to this system alone. This really sucks as I love this game and have invested a lot of time and money into it. I guess I just don't see the thrill in gambling for set items.

I think they should totally overhaul the command crate system and change it to the system that is in place for PVP. This gives players new gear as they advance through the levels and feels much more rewarding then an item you gambled for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta agree with this 100%

I really don't like this new "gambling" system of getting gear. I have a character around lvl 50 command who has 2 set peices from the command boxes and a lvl 9 sniper with the same number of set pieces. My (Command) lvl 40 something

Alt has 1 set item. So my level 9 sniper has more set pieces then my level 48ish alt.

This is insanity to me. Your leveling up (Except for the tiers) means nothing in regards to getting set items. It's just a total gamble on what gear is gonna pop outta that command crate unless you pvp.

At least the Pvp system works where you can be upgrading your gear as you gain levels in pvp. This is how an MMO should reward your time invested into the game.

The problem for me and I'm sure a lot of others out there, I don't pvp.

So if you don't want to PVP they are now forcing you to play through 100s of command levels to "Maybe" update your gear.

IMHO this is the Worst mistake SWTOR has made since the games release. People (Myself included) are starting to get tired of opening box after box of junk that goes nowhere but furthering your next command level. I myself am starting to consider leaving the game again due to this system alone. This really sucks as I love this game and have invested a lot of time and money into it. I guess I just don't see the thrill in gambling for set items.

I think they should totally overhaul the command crate system and change it to the system that is in place for PVP. This gives players new gear as they advance through the levels and feels much more rewarding then an item you gambled for.

PVP or doing OPS is a great way of getting better bonusgear. Just participate in the daily GF or ask around at the fleet for a group that is forming. It is in my experience a better way than crancking up GC to rank 300.

• 5 weeks later...

[*]If you happen to hear about a possible exploit, do not test it yourself. This can leave you open to action being taken against your account.

As a reminder, an exploit is using the game in an unintended manner to gain an advantage, typically through the use of a bug or subversion of game mechanics.

If anyone is discovered to have abused an exploit related to CXP we intend to take severe action, including:

• Resetting that character(s) Command Rank to 1
  • Stripping all gear/items earned from Galactic Command
  • Standard ToS action up to and including permanent ban

Again, if you discover an exploit, please refrain from using it and report it to us privately as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, as this is my first, and only, foray into the world of MMO's, I wouldn't know what is, or is not, an exploit, if it bit me right in my face. I would hope that EAware wouldn't bring the smack down on someone who quite innocently stumbled upon something unintended and used it without realizing that it was in fact an "exploit". Not having access to the minds, and intentions of the Devs, I have no way of knowing if something is intended, or not. Seems rather harsh to destroy my account over something done in ignorance.

Edited by NeoBlakkrstal

• 4 weeks later...
The customers can not help it on what inside the game. Online game companies can have crooked people work as employees did a cyber crime on most online games. Star Wars The Old republic is a mess but not all of it. Recommend use the game build from Feb 2011 year and apply it with Enteral Empire game build. Allow a player call out more companions for add companions in a group. Do you wanted the customers have the homeland security check out the cyber crime is going on inside the online game companies. Make sense and needs it.

Unfortunately, as this is my first, and only, foray into the world of MMO's, I wouldn't know what is, or is not, an exploit, if it bit me right in my face. I would hope that EAware wouldn't bring the smack down on someone who quite innocently stumbled upon something unintended and used it without realizing that it was in fact an "exploit". Not having access to the minds, and intentions of the Devs, I have no way of knowing if something is intended, or not. Seems rather harsh to destroy my account over something done in ignorance.

*responds to the necro*

If it's not intended, it's a good chance you'll pick up on it. IE: accepting missions from galactic command and having them auto complete everytime you accept - but noting that other missions from GC for other planets do not auto complete everytime. This should be a flag to you the player that something is not right.

Generally they take action when you're doing something that a reasonable person would expect to/can deduce from playing other parts of the game that it was/is an exploit.

Game designed is working perfect for directing many to do what is right in the game. After you started a new character at level 1 and you never see the CXP happen until your character reach level 70. Only CXP becomes available for level 70. Stay on your Class story and planet story is a option to level up before get back with class story plus heroics 2 match your level character. Game never put folks in risk.

What their saying is do not put your low level character in risk to join a level 70 player group on a CXP mission inside operation, flash points and World Boss on planets is not made for your low level character.

This mostly happen often in the player group beef up other players with low level characters after join their Guild:

Never ask no one and other players over your level to go inside your class story that make you a joke.

This happens outside of TOS when a Big Boy Criminal Guilds sent a invite without asking and gave you guild master after the old guild master left the guild to throw all your time and credits to open all the rooms and decorated before take it way without knowing what's going on could been come back without known.

Best to Solo with your own companions and be your own BOSS.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty sure you would know if you were exploiting. You basically have to go out of your way or have someone say they know a way to blah, blah w/e. Things like the auto completion of heroics, I'd not consider an exploit. That's a bug and you really can't help it happens now and then. Why sit there and not accept completion. But if you did that, and then logged on to every one of your alts and it kept doing it and you kept accepting, I'd say that COULD be considered an exploit because you were going above and beyond to do it. If you stumble onto something but don't do it repetitively or do it as a group with text logs showing y'all were doing it with knowledge, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Edited by Malphicious

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all the stronghold whiners who lambasted and rushed BW for the patch for the server downtime and for my now having fun with researching 'application has encountered an unspecified error' issue and not finding a working solution that doesn't involve downloading the whole game again. Edited by Johrun

• 4 weeks later...
Generally they take action when you're doing something that a reasonable person would expect to/can deduce from playing other parts of the game that it was/is an exploit.

Then why can't they take care of creditspammers? They would have to get their credits from farming.

• 2 weeks later...
I know you're only doing your job with this post, but geez. This does not exactly fill me with confidence about this system if you warn about exploiting it before it even hits live servers.

its because they know they suck, more worried about how much money they can grab, than try improve the game.

Edited by Nemeses

Then why can't they take care of creditspammers? They would have to get their credits from farming.

Not just farming. These days they have many more ways to gain credits. BW already did a lot to discourage basic credit farming by greatly reducing the credits that drop from mobs.

Credit sellers were dealt with quite well before this game got F2P. When it was sub only I got one credit seller message once. That was the only exposure I had to credit sellers until F2P was introduced.

Make of that what you will.

• 1 month later...
Not just farming. These days they have many more ways to gain credits. BW already did a lot to discourage basic credit farming by greatly reducing the credits that drop from mobs.

Credit sellers were dealt with quite well before this game got F2P. When it was sub only I got one credit seller message once. That was the only exposure I had to credit sellers until F2P was introduced.

i dunno. guess it depends on your server, back in the day I was always annoyed having to clear my mail box of at least a dozen different gold farmers selling money and their 1 credit attached(before f2P). Would get them throughout game play always assumed it was spam, not a GTN sale like now. These days I get maybe one once a week from the same freaking seller over and over, everytime I get mail i know I made a sale at GTN, quite the difference for me. Truth be told we had loads more people back in the day, and with more people come more farmers, when people go farmers go.

Edited by krisknife

• 2 weeks later...

Well F2P have a credit cap, so they would still have to sub If they would like to have all the money they bought from credit Sellers.

• 2 weeks later...
Roll back the servers and remove anything and everything. People will be pissed, but oh well. This is beyond game breaking. There isnt even a point to credits at this point. I'd even be fine with just removing credits all together and starting from scratch. There are only so many things that they can do to completely fix this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Roll back the servers and remove anything and everything. People will be pissed, but oh well. This is beyond game breaking. There isnt even a point to credits at this point. I'd even be fine with just removing credits all together and starting from scratch. There are only so many things that they can do to completely fix this issue.

This is the dumbest thing I've read on the internet today. Congratulations bub!

Can you please address the latest exploits with companion gifts and deflated gtn prices due to it

The bug has since been fixed by the latest patch. The companion gift vendor on the imperial fleet sold gifts for a fraction of the original price. If you would buy them in large quantities and resold them back to the vendor you could make a big profit. Some people have made billions of credits this way.

Bioware is trying to punish these people by analyzing data and follow the credits. Unfortunately many people knew of this exploit and tried to hide their wrongdoings.

We'll have to see what Bioware's answer will be and if they truly will be able to come up with a justified punishment.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey folks,

As we move towards the expansion launch, I wanted to post a reminder about our exploit policy and to talk about how it will work with Galactic Command. First, a general reminder on what to do if you think you have discovered an exploit:

• Discontinue the questionable action immediately.
  • Send a private message to myself or Tait Watson on the forums with any and all details you have on the issue. Do not make a public post with this information.
  • Submit an in-game bug report.
  • If you happen to hear about a possible exploit, do not test it yourself. This can leave you open to action being taken against your account.

With those reminders in place, let's talk about Galactic Command and specifically Command Experience Points (CXP). When you reach level 70, most activities in the game will reward you with CXP, which will earn you Command Ranks and subsequently Command Crates. Since Command Crates are your source of end-game gear we are going to be extra diligent and harsh on exploits relating to CXP. As a reminder, an exploit is using the game in an unintended manner to gain an advantage, typically through the use of a bug or subversion of game mechanics.

If anyone is discovered to have abused an exploit related to CXP we intend to take severe action, including:

• Resetting that character(s) Command Rank to 1
  • Stripping all gear/items earned from Galactic Command
  • Standard ToS action up to and including permanent ban

Again, if you discover an exploit, please refrain from using it and report it to us privately as soon as possible. Thanks everyone!

-eric

I hate to sound ignorant, but can you please clarify exactly what an exploit is. I've grouped with players who take shortcuts to bosses instead of fighting their way through the mobs like on A Traitor Amoung the Chiss or other flashpoints.. usually involved jumping, getting a stealth to run through to next save location and then everyone dying to spawn at nearest location to boss, etc. Then there is this LOS.. line of sight that people do. Is this considered an exploit or not? I'm asking this question here because it's so common and I think we as players all need to know if this is allowed or not. Exploit rules need to be more specific and cover just about any possible scenario. We need clarity and examples. Most new players have no idea what an exploit is so they just basically follow the group.

Thanks.

i dunno. guess it depends on your server, back in the day I was always annoyed having to clear my mail box of at least a dozen different gold farmers selling money and their 1 credit attached(before f2P). Would get them throughout game play always assumed it was spam, not a GTN sale like now. These days I get maybe one once a week from the same freaking seller over and over, everytime I get mail i know I made a sale at GTN, quite the difference for me. Truth be told we had loads more people back in the day, and with more people come more farmers, when people go farmers go.

Are you sure you don't have your time lines mixed up? I remember the 1 credit messages but those came well after F2P had been introduced.

An exploit is an unintentional (by devs) way you can get extra of something, like credits or xp/cxp. Here is an example. Recently on fleet one of the vendors was selling the Cultural and Imperial Memorabilia companion gifts for 1/10th of their normal sale price. However, they would buy them back for the same price. If you bought them for gifts, fine, they didn't mind too much, but if you bought them and resold them back to vendor, you made tons of credits and they threatened to shut your account down.