SWG'ers, are you content or bored with SWTOR?

MefuneAkira

Seven year vet player of SWG. Ive played WoW, RIFT and a most of the other MMO's out there and none kept my interest more than SWG.

Yes the CU sucked. Yes the NGE sucked. So why did I stick with SWG?

Game play options.

SWG had more game play options than most MMOs.

Such as...

• Player housing.
  • City building.
  • Guild/City wars.
  • Decorating homes, guild hall and ships.
  • Planet control wars.
  • Cantinas with a purpose.
  • Bounty hunters that actually had bounties to hunt (other players).
  • A complex and fun crafting system that was very Star Warsy.
  • Merchants who could set up there own enterprise from their home or a merchant tent. (also very Star Warsy)
  • Non-combat classes that kept the social atmosphere alive.
  • Fishing.
  • Social events.

...and much more...

In SWTOR, there is combat, lazy crafting and datacron hunting. Thats about it. After level 50, its really just combat.

Now I know they never said SWTOR was going to be SGW2, but is it me or is Star Wars the Old Republic not very Star Warsy?

• Cantinas that serve no purpose. Un-Star Warsy.
  • Bounty hunters without bounties. Un-Star Warsy.
  • No merchants selling their wares. Un-Star-Warsy.
  • A simplistic, lazy and un-tangible crafting system. Un-Star Warsy. (No moisture vaporators? Come on! lol)
  • No weather change. Un-Star Warsy. (Tatooine sand storms anyone?)
  • No day/night cycle. Un-Star Warsy. (Twin suns setting? Night sky over Curoscant?)
  • Little life on planets. Un-Star Warsy (Star Wars universe is abundant with commerce and social activity.)

...and on and on...

I guess my point is, Im bored or maybe just combat/PvP/xp grind burnt out or maybe I'm just not feeling the Star Wars "intended" immersion. I guess I was just spoiled by SWG's many non-combat and social game play options to chose from when I just needed a break from the combat. I guess I was spoiled by the immersion of day/night cycles and weather changes. I guess I was spoiled by having a unique space in the Star Wars universe I could call my own.

I love many aspects of SWTOR and have no immediate plans to cancel my subscription, but it needs Star Warsy non-combat and social game play to keep my interest. Agree? Dont agree?

You fellow ex-SWG'ers bored or content with SWTOR?

Thanks.

Edited by MefuneAkira

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/sign

I'm loving SWTOR, however I see no problems ripping off good ideas from other games. The crafting, harvesting, and merchant system was top notch in SWG. It would be sooooo nice to see that here in SWTOR.

In fact....I would be in MMO heaven if they were to take those things you mentioned and added them to SWTOR!

I will say this though...SWTOR knocked it out of the ball park with the story and cut scenes! I love that abt SWTOR! =)

Edited by Samrat_

Bored. Socially and from a SW Universe perspective, this is game is mediocre, even when compared with a game more than 10 years old.

I don't have illusions of ever playing games like SWG anyway.

Edited by Xehoz

I'm curious, what did Cantinas offer?

believe it or not, dancing was a "class" that you could actually level up in. you would spend your time hanging out in cantinas chatting etc, while the adventurers would come in and ask for your buffs "sometimes for a price". There were actually many people that did this and it was macro'd so you could leave your computer and buff people and level. you could dance, make music and your "flourishes" buffed people. iirc

edit: Now that i think of it twiileks were the chosen dancer class back in swg as well. They had a billion outfits to choose from. The devs had fun with the whole idea of dancing class. The original dev team was THE MOST ORIGINAL DEV TEAM in mmo history. Dancing was just the tip of the iceberg. Then came that one guy who destroyed the game for everything it was and now look where it is: nonexistent. LOL> Even the big guys screw up really really bad! (And still don't get fired, meh)

Edited by duritz

SWTOR'ers, are you sick of seeing mention of SWG?

No.

If BW see those suggestions 10x per days, maybe the game designers there will understand it would be a good idea to bring sandbox element of swg to sw:tor

Edited by Cygnusxo

Yes i miss the old swg and yes i wish swtor had those things :/

Also the reason swtor i missing lot of "social" things people could do.

Im stunned, that this thread is allowed to be here and we are prolly all going to get warnings after posting here.

So, im going to cut my reply short.

SWTOR'ers, are you sick of seeing mention of SWG?

No. I didn't play SWG very long after the CU and NGE updates but I do remember how much I loved crafting in that game. It was fantastic and it did NOT take a backseat to PvE or PvP like in most MMO's of today.

Obviously Lucas Arts is behind Bioware on TOR so why can't they just get some help or ideas on adding some customization to TOR? Seriously it's crazy how much customization we had in SWG and how there is non in Old Republic.

Im stunned, that this thread is allowed to be here and we are prolly all going to get warnings after posting here.

So, im going to cut my reply short.

Not allowed? Why? Seems perfectly logical as this is another Star Wars MMO and is relevant, as are the suggestions written in a non-abrasive, constructive feedback manner.

As a seven year SWG player I can tell you honestly that this game is nothing like SWG and never be a replacement for it.

But that is OK. It is not supposed to be. I am still playing it as of now and will be judging it on its own merits.

For my first month I have enjoyed facets of it, but really get the feeling that it is a solo game masquerading as an MMO.

The only game I could campare it to is Dragon Age.

So much of SWG centered around player interaction at a level no MMO has reached. As such TOR cannot be a repalcement for that kind of game play and if folks are looking for that here they will be dissappointed. Also, game players in general who are looking for something "revolutionary" will most likely be dissapointed as well.

I have not been playing long enough to make any final decisioons about the game but I am making a concerted effort to view it on its own and not through the prism of SWG or WoW or any other game.

That is a trap too many folks fall into.

I think expecting these things from SWTOR in the first place was overly optimistic.

No dev team is going to sit down and say "Hey, let's create another SWG!" I know some people would love for that to happen but it just isn't going to.

Having said that, I think there is room for more social/immersion type features that would work in the current game, without trying to make the game a sandbox or take it in a direction it was never intended to go.

EX-SWG here...had Master Creature Handler, and I quit in disgust after my class was eliminated. So unlike you, I didn't give SOE any more money to reward them for their poor behavior.

Having said that, your critique of SWTOR as being 'un-star-warsy' is so off base as to be ludicrous. There are many things to complain about in SWTOR, but its lack of Star Wars environment is certainly not one of them!

1). Planets: SWTOR planets feel more like Star Wars than anything SWG attempted. SWG vets will recall the ridiculously poor presentation of Coronet on Corellia, supposedly the capital city on a capital planet of a star system. And it has, what, a dozen buildings? ferchrissake, lol. Pathetic. SWTOR Corellia captures that planet near perfectly. But let's look at the other planets shall we?

• Coruscant: most brilliant depiction of the capital planet ever. In line with both movies and KOTOR
  • Hoth: Need I say more? How did SWG fare in this regard? Yeah. Not so much.
  • Tatooine: SWTOR has recreated the iconic planet superbly. To be fair, SWG did do a decent job here as well. It was clear SWG spent a lot of time on developing Tatooine. Too bad that work didn't carry over to other half-arsed planets.

I could go on, but you get the idea here.

2). Vehicles. SWTOR gives me access to several iconic vehicles straight away. How many did SWG offer at launch? Zero. How long did we have to wait for 1 vehicle? Ages.

3). Light Side/Dark Side. SWTOR understands this moral interplay. SWG never had it, let alone ever got it (as in understood it). Master classes to unlock your holocron??? roflmao.

4). Ridiculously (and by this I mean awesome) huge military industrial complex. SWTOR (and BW in general) understands this underlying paradigm of the Star Wars Universe: When you've got a galaxy's worth of resources at your disposal, you build super massive structures, super massive weapons, even to an absurd level. This IS Star Wars. SWG never got that. Ever.

5). Diversity of Creatures: While I'll give SWG props for offering a wider variety of playable races (I played a Mon Cal), SWTOR has a larger variety of creatures in world. This is another essential point of Star Warsyness that SWTOR excells at. And the number of unique driods also makes SWTOR superior.

6). Companions. Star Wars has companions. Co-stars if you will. Players are the stars. SWTOR gets this. In SWG, it was always a struggle.

So yeah...I think your premise that SWTOR lacks Star Wars is absurd in the highest.

Edited by Cerion

i do not miss SWG , the game sucked . and i played SWG for 2 years . but tbh, must of the mmo's that i played sucked . i hated a lot of things about all of them .but, when i went to a new MMO i use to romanticize my memories of previous MMO's . it wasn't until the Burning Crusade that i became fully aware of how dishonest i was being . and i was in fact playing WOW because it was better then the previous MMO's. other wise i would have been playing them instead .

the same goes for this game . if i didn't like it i wouldn't be playing it . and yes, many things about it suck too, but it's only a damn video game . it's not suppose to do anything but offer me a way to waste a few hours of my life every day....and it does that very well.

This is what baffles me there is a perfectly legit SWG Emu avalible....why not just go play that instead of hating on the TOR forums?

Because Liberator is a train wreck, and last I played it, was effectively unsupported while they continued work on Nova.

PS: I am actually happy here. I'm concerned about end game options, but odds are I'll just level a couple alts instead...while Bioware fixes/improves things like Ilum and stuff.

Edited by islander