Respect Revan

MasterMe

Am I the only one who thinks Revan is a far more awesome character as a strong, flawed jedi with the type of presence and leadership ability that comes once in a dozen lifetimes?

Ignoring canon (very temporarily in my case!) and making Revan all-powerful (or even just insanely-powerful), it cheapens it for me. Revan is cool as a character when he's in over his head, being put up on a pedestal by the other characters but struggling to deal with everything. He's far less awesome and far less interesting when he isn't struggling to fix the things he broke. The key part there being struggling. Both with other people's expectations, his own expectations, and the actual things he's trying to do. Master of all Lightsaber forms, and the Light and Dark sides of the force.. where's the moment of despair that makes the victory heroic?

Now, the thing about canon, and how I look at it (someone else might have a different way)...

The movies are fact. You're a little mouse droid or whatever watching events unfold. You are 'seeing' them. There might be things you miss, but what you see is what happened, as it unfolds.

The novels are history books. They're mostly accurate, but they were written later by someone who was there. So you get little biases, little bits of misleading information, and a few outright misinterpretations or errors. They're still valid, since we can't just go and SEE the events, but sometimes the little things just aren't quite right. The things declared non-canon are the ones that are completely wrong, or so wrong as to be not usable.

Games, things along those lines? They are the bard's tales. All sorts of wild exaggeration (like Starkiller pulling a star destroyer down), but the "core" of the story is true.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks Revan is a far more awesome character as a strong, flawed jedi with the type of presence and leadership ability that comes once in a dozen lifetimes?

Ignoring canon (very temporarily in my case!) and making Revan all-powerful (or even just insanely-powerful), it cheapens it for me. Revan is cool as a character when he's in over his head, being put up on a pedestal by the other characters but struggling to deal with everything. He's far less awesome and far less interesting when he isn't struggling to fix the things he broke. The key part there being struggling. Both with other people's expectations, his own expectations, and the actual things he's trying to do. Master of all Lightsaber forms, and the Light and Dark sides of the force.. where's the moment of despair that makes the victory heroic?

Now, the thing about canon, and how I look at it (someone else might have a different way)...

The movies are fact. You're a little mouse droid or whatever watching events unfold. You are 'seeing' them. There might be things you miss, but what you see is what happened, as it unfolds.

The novels are history books. They're mostly accurate, but they were written later by someone who was there. So you get little biases, little bits of misleading information, and a few outright misinterpretations or errors. They're still valid, since we can't just go and SEE the events, but sometimes the little things just aren't quite right. The things declared non-canon are the ones that are completely wrong, or so wrong as to be not usable.

Games, things along those lines? They are the bard's tales. All sorts of wild exaggeration (like Starkiller pulling a star destroyer down), but the "core" of the story is true.

I agree mostly , Characters are better with weaknesses than being Immortal and undefeatable !

Actually alot of people think he's a piss poor character and another mary sue.

You mean like Skywalker ? Revan has been defeated baddly by the Emperor and then "4 New Kids on the Block" , haven't seen Skywalker defeated baddly since Vader beat his ***/cut off his hand/ and then went on to mind **** him in TESB/Ep5

Well i don't disagree with him being a "weak character". Personally i think he is a powerful character but other than that, a boring character i dont relate with.

In the SW verse, unless your an extremely weak force sensitive, no ones going to wipe the floor with another guy. That is my opinion of course.

Revan was kinda Boring due to lack of Character so you could build your own , his lore is great though . I think in TOR they kinda made him very insane ! I wish he would have died in Revan novel but .............oh well !

That's an interesting way to look at canon. I can't say I agree about the whole comparison of EU to a biased history book, but you're entitiled to your opinion.

But I definately agree about Revan's character. It's no good to have a character who's immortal. And Revan certainly isn't immortal.

Biased may have been a little strong, it's meant to capture that there are slight differences, and occasional errors where they conflict with movies and Lucas. Something you can generally take at face value, but is overall slightly less reliable (since if it was perfectly reliable, it would be exactly equal to the movies in all respects!)

Biased may have been a little strong, it's meant to capture that there are slight differences, and occasional errors where they conflict with movies and Lucas. Something you can generally take at face value, but is overall slightly less reliable (since if it was perfectly reliable, it would be exactly equal to the movies in all respects!)

Alright that makes more since.

Revan was kinda Boring due to lack of Character so you could build your own , his lore is great though . I think in TOR they kinda made him very insane ! I wish he would have died in Revan novel but .............oh well !

Post ROTJ skywalker was boring to me too.... But he did have flaws, especially when he nearly had the crap beaten out of him by some random Sith in the FOTJ series, Palpatine handing him his *** in DE, Exar kun ripping lukes spirit from his body.

Luke has far more flaws than Revan.

Edited by Makoto_Shishio

Post ROTJ skywalker was boring to me too.... But he did have flaws, especially when he nearly had the crap beaten out of him by some random Sith in the FOTJ series, Palpatine handing him his *** in DE, Exar kun ripping lukes spirit from his body.

Luke has far more flaws than Revan.

hmmmmmm. I doubt that Luke has more flaws then Revan.

Luke may have been beat up a lot, but if so, then he was facing tuffer opponents.

hmmmmmm. I doubt that Luke has more flaws then Revan.

Luke may have been beat up a lot, but if so, then he was facing tuffer opponents.

Overall I found Revan to be a more interesting character than Luke, although this may be because in SW Knights of the Old Republic I made Revan to go to the dark side again. I don't think Luke would have got anywhere in life if it wasn't for the people he knew that helped him.

But that is just my opinion.

• 1 month later...
Vader is not weak against lightning, that is a misconception, he is actually the opposite, highly resistant to it, Galen marek turned him into a battery, but it did nothing but make him kneel down, Sidious' lightning killed him sure, because it was the most powerful Lightning ever seen(it could bend Master Windu's lightsaber), but he also died because his life support had failed and the rage of the Dark Side that sustained him was no longer present, due to his redemption, it was this combination that led to his slow death.

Electric Judgement is the most powerful form of force lightning in the Star Wars Universe. Reason....it's channeled threw the light side which is nearly impossible.

Edited by JediMasterRevan

Electric judgment more powerful than Darth Sidious' force storms that can destroy FLEETS? Hahahahh

I would like to see Koon's green shocks vs Sidious' storm. Get your facts straight. Force storms devastate entire planets, but regardless light and dark are even, people not so much. If one was always stronger than the other I would stop my SWTOR burn all my Star Wars books, and start a bashing site on the narrow mindedness of Sci-Fi fans :rak_03:

Electric judgment more powerful than Darth Sidious' force storms that can destroy FLEETS? Hahahahh

I would like to see Koon's green shocks vs Sidious' storm. Get your facts straight. Force storms devastate entire planets, but regardless light and dark are even, people not so much. If one was always stronger than the other I would stop my SWTOR burn all my Star Wars books, and start a bashing site on the narrow mindedness of Sci-Fi fans :rak_03:

Really guys? Really? This thread kinda died. lol

I am the OP of that particular thread, all of these were in their prime, Bane did NOT have his orbalisks, they were actually more of a liability than a reliability, they made him lose focus and do foolish things.

Vader is not weak against lightning, that is a misconception, he is actually the opposite, highly resistant to it, Galen marek turned him into a battery, but it did nothing but make him kneel down, Sidious' lightning killed him sure, because it was the most powerful Lightning ever seen(it could bend Master Windu's lightsaber), but he also died because his life support had failed and the rage of the Dark Side that sustained him was no longer present, due to his redemption, it was this combination that led to his slow death.

Bane would not be able to handle Kun, think about this, he was helpless against Zannah's sorcery and Kun's makes Zannah's look amateur at best, his Force Blasts were made out of pure Dark Side energy, something Bane had no defense against, in the form of a wyrm summoned by Zannah, Kun was also so unpredictable and had such a strange duelling technique I highly doubt bane would know any serious counters against such a vicious Jar'Kai/Niman combination.

And Bane is NOT Vader without the suit, Darth Caedus is and he'd wipe the floor with the lot of these, Vader was the greatest Jedi killer ever, he was the most dominating and powerful machine the galaxy had seen, his telekinetics outmatch Bane's and his vast amount of Duelling skill due to him being possibly the greatest Djem-So practitioner ever mixed with a high proficiency in Makashi and Soresu, would make him Bane but on the next level.

(Then add in the whole point of the Rule of Two, Vader has to be better than Bane, or there was no real point.)

Essence Transfer would be useful, but consider that it took Zannah a couple of minutes to regain her whereabouts and he'd be dead in his confusion anyway, even an mildly intelligent duellist knows to strike down as many people as possible with the least risk to yourself in a multi-combatant fight.

Five star post