Space Combat on Rails...

DarthKurt

Wow, thank you for bringing this to our attention. That has never been brought up before.

On a less sarcastic note Bioware has made it known that, despite the overwhelming outcry, they will be sticking to their guns with the space combat model. They've stood firm on that since way back in the earliest glimpses of the game when the protesting began. It's unfortunate, but yep... space combat on rails. On the bright side it isn't forced upon you in any way, though I do not think that is any comfort to pilots from SWG.

Space Combat on Rails... is STUPID !!!

Remember when Luke Skywalker was flying his X-Wing fighter all over the place, doing lots of loops and barrel rolls, making full use of his 3D environment to blow up the Death Star? And not just flying down a trench avoiding turrets and TIE Fighters? Me either.

On a less sarcastic note Bioware has made it known that, despite the overwhelming outcry, they will be sticking to their guns with the space combat model. They've stood firm on that since way back in the earliest glimpses of the game when the protesting began. It's unfortunate, but yep... space combat on rails. On the bright side it isn't forced upon you in any way, though I do not think that is any comfort to pilots from SWG.

where have you been? its be known for a while that BW has been working on new space project for sometime now.

the current space on rails is fine for what it was meant to be, a side thing, not a main part of the game.

where have you been? its be known for a while that BW has been working on new space project for sometime now.

the current space on rails is fine for what it was meant to be, a side thing, not a main part of the game.

It's been about a year since they said they were doing a space update. And we got HM space. They never said it was going to be vastly different. I think we already got what they were working on and ashamed to admit that was all.

About that time they also said there would be updates to the CE vendor too. And we know where that went.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

It's been about a year since they said they were doing a space update. And we got HM space. They never said it was going to be vastly different. I think we already got what they were working on and ashamed to admit that was all.

About that time they also said there would be updates to the CE vendor too. And we know where that went.

Wrong on all accounts. It was less then a year ago and I believe it was in a video interview not to long ago. I will post a link if I can find it but they in fact stated that the Super Secret Space Project was vastly different then the current space game we have and that while they cannot talk about it now they have a working iteration of it and that it is spectacular. It was also plainly stated that the HM space missions was NOT the SSSP.

This was posted on November, 29th 2012 which if you do your math correctly is just under 3 months ago.

Edited by WookieIsshe

they have a working iteration of it and that it is spectacular.

They think the armour models are spectacular too .....

Super secret space project is probably putting spikes and antenna all over the PC ship's.

Edited by Darkscis

Wrong on all accounts. It was less then a year ago and I believe it was in a video interview not to long ago. I will post a link if I can find it but they in fact stated that the Super Secret Space Project was vastly different then the current space game we have and that while they cannot talk about it now they have a working iteration of it and that it is spectacular. It was also plainly stated that the HM space missions was NOT the SSSP.

This was posted on November, 29th 2012 which if you do your math correctly is just under 3 months ago.

They also said during beta they would upgrade the space.

Remember when Luke Skywalker was flying his X-Wing fighter all over the place, doing lots of loops and barrel rolls, making full use of his 3D environment to blow up the Death Star? And not just flying down a trench avoiding turrets and TIE Fighters? Me either.

Remember when all those rebel pilots were killed attacking the Death Star? Turns out they had no control over their ships.

Wow, thank you for bringing this to our attention. That has never been brought up before.

Thanks for contributing to this thread with such refreshing, unique and witty form of sarcasm. Our small community has never before been blessed with such exiting, new take on sarcasm. . So on behalf of the entire TOR player community, thank you.

Railshooters can be great! If it is 1994, you are 12 year old kid visiting an arcade hall and have this GIGANTIC Uzi replica as a controllter. In that environment, it can be awesome business. Til you run out of coins at least. Railshooter on computer with mouse or pad as controller is a concept that has never resulted in remotely fun or exiting experience. So, inevitably TOR's take is pretty stupid and boring as well. It is also little more than a mini game so it doesn't matter in any way in grand scheme of things. I do wonder if there at some point was somebody in TOR design team who actually thought it'd make a fun mini game though?

Would be awesome to have proper space and proper space combat taking place in the said proper space though, for sure. I find it infinitely unlikely to ever actually happen though. If some sort of super secret space derp ever sees light of day, I'm betting it is multiplayer co op railshooting+ guild ships or something like that, rather than anything anyone's imagination paints.

Meanwhile, I encourage people wanting proper space combat to check out Eve Online. Awesome, interesting and terrifying MMO quaranteed to feel entirely different to TOR or any other WoW clone.

Star Wars Galaxies is making it's return as a former SOE lead dev - endorsed fan project called SWGEMU. They will proly - eventually- offer Jump To Light SPeed as well. Even if they don't, it is very exiting project and one to keep an eye on. Aim is to restore SWG as the game was before SOE ruined it in post-WoW panic. It has been on going for ages, is in stable, reliable if slow development and in open Beta.

Edited by Stradlin

They've hinted at a 'super secret space project' or sssp as far back as 6 months ago, but last I heard it's unlikely to make it to live this year.

Remember when Luke SKywalker was all " This is Red Five apparently I'm going in I dont know *** Im not the pilot dont ask me!"

Remember when he was able to fly to where he wanted to fly to and go in the direction he wanted to go in. I do:D

its at 16 minutes in the video for those who dont want to watch the whole thing. They said they have a team dedicated to working on it. and yeah there isn't a time frame for the content... I would expect it to be possibly another expansion to the game. But they said it is nothing like what shipped with the game... so that means it cannot be space on rails.

I like the space missions. Guess this is another example that people's opinions vary greatly regarding the content in this game. I'd much rather run through hard mode space missions than daily missions in the black hole, section x, and illum any and every day of the week.

I agree. Personally I think it's a nice change to have an mmo that's not all about pvp and endgame raiding. I've always had fun with the space missions. They did get a little old for a while but now the heroic ones are out I'm enjoying them again. And yeah - I'd rather do them for bh commendations than the section x or black hole quests.

haha, this game was not made in the 70's

The sad part is, more people will walk away from this game if it's not done right. There's too many good space sims out there to compete with. STO is free and has amazing space battles. SWGEMU is gonna make a comeback, and if this game isn't ready, ToR's going under. That's all there is to it.

Now on the other hand.... And here's where my optimism comes in...

If the new space project is done right, and done big, and without any bugs... it could be the saving grace of the game.

I know that's a pretty big thing to hope for, and it's a lot of eggs to put in one basket, but in my opinion, this space upgrade is going to be all or nothing. This is EA's last chance to get something right.