Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

alaurin
11.15.2019 , 06:26 PM | #6261
And finally we have the new prompt for this week! I'm deeply sorry that I got so behind and I will try to keep things up to date a little better. Have a wonderful weekend and happy writing!!

Week of November 15, 2019:

Love Language/Showing Affection: Every person, every character, has their own way of showing affection. There are culturally sanctioned ways, which often differ by gender and class. Everyone’s different, though, and how they show affection is often how they perceive their standing in another’s eyes. Write this week about your character showing affection in their own way, or recognizing another’s unique love language.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, post it anyway!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Temptation: It comes in all flavors, all kinds, all things. And it need not be a physical thing at all, but an experience or emotion. It’s usually, but not always, a vice. What tempts your character? What siren song do they find irresistible? Do they crash on the rocks following it, do their friends help them avoid it, or do they manage alone? Not all temptations are bad, of course, and not all can be neatly avoided.

Roadblock: Something’s in the way, physically or metaphorically. Something preventing your character from getting what they want. What is it? Why is it there? What does your character want and who wants to stop them? This week, throw a roadblock in your character’s path. Let’s see how they navigate it.

alaurin
11.22.2019 , 06:55 PM | #6262
Ooooo, look who figured out how to put up the new prompt on time!!! Happy Friday and as always, happy writing!!!

Week of November 22, 2019:

Beauty: In the eye of the beholder and only skin deep? Or is there in truth no beauty? It’s more common to make our characters physically attractive than not, but modern human (and especially Western) standards are not universal. How does this play in their unique cultures? What does your character consider beautiful? Does it align with their society? What does beauty mean to them in the context of their story? Do they see themselves as beautiful? What would they do to become so, or more so, or do they care?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, post it anyway!!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Challenge– If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. What’s hard for your character? What challenges do they set for themselves and what ones do they face? Difficulty often reveals a character’s true self. How do they face a challenge?

History– Personal or World, history informs your character’s actions. What part of the past shapes their present? Are they aware of it? How so? This week, consider your character’s history and its influence.

alaurin
12.06.2019 , 04:04 PM | #6263
Many apologies, I was out of town last weekend for the holiday and completely forgot to put up the prompt....so here it is!

Week of November 29, 2019:

Masks and True Faces: Some of our characters wear physical masks. Why? Do they protect their body against harm, their identity against retaliation, or hide something they are ashamed of? Some eschew protection and flaunt their identity, their face, their safety. Other characters take on new personalities and identities depending on who they’re with or the job they need to do. Not a physical mask, but protection just the same. Write about the masks your character wears and to whom, if anyone, they show their true face and self.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, post it anyway!

Anniversaries - Some dates are remembered and celebrated; others are remembered and reviled. From the fresh anniversary of something that happened just a year ago to the enduring remembrance of holidays for cultures and nations, people often mark the date and do something to observe the occasion. Write about an anniversary or significant holiday in your character’s life.

Hope– Hope, the final thing in Pandora’s Box. Hope is what keeps people going when the night is dark and the journey is hard. Hope for a brighter day and a better way. Or just something different, some change. To fall in love, to find redemption, to find a purpose. Even a doomsday cult has hope, even outsiders don’t understand it. What does your character hope for?

alaurin
12.06.2019 , 04:06 PM | #6264
And now for this week's official new prompt.....

Week of December 6, 2019:

Infodump: Writers often need to give the reader information. A lot of it. A backstory, a history, a strange device, a motivation. You need a character to monologue. This week’s challenge is to create a scene around explaining something important about your character, their world, or their current situation. Infodumps don’t have to be boring! They can be funny, ridiculous, serious, or even deadpan, all while still being interesting. Your infodump doesn’t even have to match the tone of the rest of your story. This week: tell, don’t show.

Goals: Your character is nothing without goals. Pursuing their goal is what propels the story forward. Step back for a moment and consider how and why they set that goal. Did they wake up one morning and know what they wanted to do? Did it grow organically out of life experience? Did they go through a modern, goal-setting exercise? Is theirs a reasonable goal, achievable with a stretch, or are they unlikely to ever achieve it? Do they keep moving the goalposts? Does someone move them for your character? Set a goal this week.

Inappropriate Use of Power- To be honest, the germ of this idea came from imagining a youthful Obi-Wan trying out his Force Persuade skill on a bartender with a handwave and a “you don’t need to see my identification.” And while the tone of the inspiration was silly–what’s to stop scheming Sith from reading their instructor’s mind for quiz answers–it can be sinister as well. It’s not limited to Force-users, or indeed any character with special powers. Authority and trust can be misused as well, and to silly or sinister ends. Was your character tempted? Did they witness an event? Did they stop another character?

Feldraeth
12.13.2019 , 01:13 AM | #6265
Hey, I'm back following nanowrimo and with a double parter that fits some of the prompts.

Prompt: It Takes Two, Mother’s Day, Masks and True Faces
Title: Assault on Grathan’s Estate: Facing the Family
Perspective: Roan, The Littlest Sith
Word Count: 2,420
Spoilers: SW Grathan Estate storyline
Chronology: Mid Dromund Kaas

Spoiler

Prompt: It Takes Two, Inappropriate use of Power,
Title: Assault on Grathan’s Estate: Facing the Family, Part II
Perspective: Vette, Twi’lek adventurer
Word Count: 1,506
Spoilers: Grathan Estate

Spoiler

Adwynyth
01.02.2020 , 10:14 AM | #6266
Characters: Adwynyth, Vette, Quinn
Prompt: Goals
Timeline: Rishi
Spoilers: surprisingly none, I think

Spoiler

Okay, that was a little weak, guys,but I'm out of practice. It has been a few years. Re-subbed for a couple months, so I might have time for some real good stuff before time runs out.

I might even finish the "Swaindrix goes after Skadge" story.
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

Adwynyth
01.07.2020 , 05:50 AM | #6267
Characters: Swaindrix, Mako, Gault
Prompt: Challenge
Timeline: between Tatooine and Taris
Spoilers: None I can think of

Spoiler

Adwynyth
01.07.2020 , 08:51 PM | #6268
Characters: Adwynyth, Quinn, Vette
Prompt: Love Language/Showing Affection
Timeline: sometime between Balmorra and the end of Chapter 1

Spoiler

Lord_Thorne
01.08.2020 , 12:04 PM | #6269
@Adwynyth: Obviously, I pictured him trying to do needlepoint in full beskar'gam - if only for the challenge of it!
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

Adwynyth
01.12.2020 , 08:26 PM | #6270
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Thorne View Post
@Adwynyth: Obviously, I pictured him trying to do needlepoint in full beskar'gam - if only for the challenge of it!
Hee hee! In-game, Swaindrix is wearing a full set of gold scalene armor (minus the helmet; gotta see the guy!), but I'm not sure what he wears in my headcanon. I'll have to think about it. My tendency is to think he wears patched-together stuff that's too heavy and gets wrecked and replaced fairly often. His fighting style does tend toward "the more carnage, the better".