J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise, and just to correct MR George Lucas is still in his best not ''once was''...

The clone wars series prove that easily...

Clones Wars show is great, but not directed by Lucas.

Wow, nice to see someone say something positive about George Lucas. He deserves are respect. I think I would partially agree, Lucas was and still is a great director, but not that great. Let me just say here that Lucas is in fact heavily involved in the production of TCW. He comes up with a lot of the stories. For example the idea of allying the Mandalorians with Darth Maul, and having them invade Jabba's Palace, was Lucas' idea. As are many of the new and existing races in the franchise. He is the producer I think. So I think we should give him a lot of credit for that.

But back on topic, I think while Lucas is a great director, he may have got a little carried away with the CGI and perhaps doesn't fully understand what his audience wants. However he is an excellent, and I mean excellent, storyteller and has some awesome ideas and concepts. And that's what he's putting in the TCW, and that's why its so great. Apart of me is kinda sad to see him go. Personally I'd prefer to see him produce Star Wars, rather than Kennedy (but not direct and get too heavily involved) but I totally respect his choice.

New article on StarWars.com on J.J Abrams and some things he's said about Star Wars long before he was asked to direct the films. Really interesting. This guy is clearly a massive fan and knows a lot about Star Wars. I'm now totally convinced this is the guy for the job.

One thing I found especially interesting is this:

"If it’s a radio show or a video game or an online experience — whatever it is I would love to discover in this vast universe some new characters that make me feel the way that Luke, Leia, and Han Solo did.”

He basically says that he'd love to play an MMO like SWTOR. So, do you think Abrams is a subscriber? Maybe he's reading this thread right now! Hey Abrams! Are you out there! I apologise on behalf of the meanies who have been saying bad things about you. Lol, it would be funny if he responded. :p

Unless one of you is Abrams...

New article on StarWars.com on J.J Abrams and some things he's said about Star Wars long before he was asked to direct the films. Really interesting. This guy is clearly a massive fan and knows a lot about Star Wars. I'm now totally convinced this is the guy for the job.

One thing I found especially interesting is this:

"If it’s a radio show or a video game or an online experience — whatever it is I would love to discover in this vast universe some new characters that make me feel the way that Luke, Leia, and Han Solo did.”

He basically says that he'd love to play an MMO like SWTOR. So, do you think Abrams is a subscriber? Maybe he's reading this thread right now! Hey Abrams! Are you out there! I apologise on behalf of the meanies who have been saying bad things about you. Lol, it would be funny if he responded. :p

Unless one of you is Abrams...

That was a good read it's almost kind of errie how similar his first Star Wars experience and the lifelong impact it has had on his life is to mine, but I bet a lot of people who sat in those theaters in May of '77 would say the same.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit that JJ atleast at some point has played ToR or even SWG.

Edited by Hardwear

My only concerns for Episode VII is this: while he did a bang up job with the Star Trek reboot, he is also responsible for shows like Lost and Revolution.

Lost I watched religiously and for the life of me I still don't know why. The end of every episode made me **** my head to one side like a confused dog while uttering "Huh? *** was that?" Much like watching an episode of The Worm Hole, I watched the show for answers and didn't get any.

I even tried to watch a few episodes of Revolution until I figured out that the show/writing/acting/premise was just plain horrible. In an interview, Abrams claims that the science about the show makes sense. Sorry, no, it doesn't. And don't bother watching any of the episodes, it's time you will never get back.

So Mr. Abrams, word to the wise: filler does not work, substance does. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far, even if your target audience is composed of sci-fi or fantasy geeks. Anyone who has read The Hobbit (or NOT read it for that matter) and then subsequently seen the movie can attest. After seeing The Hobbit in the theater I have absolutely NO DESIRE to see any of the subsequent movies about it, despite the fact that it is my favorite book behind Dune.

Granted, a 10 year old could have given us something better that episodes I-III so just about anyone would be better than Lucas to direct the new movies. I just hope that episodes VII-IX do not follow a similar pattern.

My only concerns for Episode VII is this: while he did a bang up job with the Star Trek reboot, he is also responsible for shows like Lost and Revolution.

Lost I watched religiously and for the life of me I still don't know why. The end of every episode made me **** my head to one side like a confused dog while uttering "Huh? *** was that?" Much like watching an episode of The Worm Hole, I watched the show for answers and didn't get any.

I even tried to watch a few episodes of Revolution until I figured out that the show/writing/acting/premise was just plain horrible. In an interview, Abrams claims that the science about the show makes sense. Sorry, no, it doesn't. And don't bother watching any of the episodes, it's time you will never get back.

So Mr. Abrams, word to the wise: filler does not work, substance does. Suspension of disbelief can only go so far, even if your target audience is composed of sci-fi or fantasy geeks. Anyone who has read The Hobbit (or NOT read it for that matter) and then subsequently seen the movie can attest. After seeing The Hobbit in the theater I have absolutely NO DESIRE to see any of the subsequent movies about it, despite the fact that it is my favorite book behind Dune.

Granted, a 10 year old could have given us something better that episodes I-III so just about anyone would be better than Lucas to direct the new movies. I just hope that episodes VII-IX do not follow a similar pattern.

I agree, however remember that while Abrams is the Director and the Co-producer, he is not the writer. So really you don't have to worry much about the 'science' (which lets face it, is pretty well established - all he has to do is read Wookieepedia :p) or filler story and lack of substance. That's in the hands of Micheal Arndt.

I am excited about Abrams and I think he will do the franchise justice. as for this:

Also with the immanent marketing zerg in the wake of these new movies what will be the effect on ToR since this is the only MMO representation of the galaxy far far away?

SWTOR really isn't Star Wars to many of simply because of the time period. The two periods do not really tie in or support each other. Anyone coming to this game looking for the real Star Wars will most likely walk away disappointed.

Haven't seen the new Star Trek as it doesn't have Picard and thus isn't proper Star Trek :p If Abrams did that movie well though, there's no reason to think he can't do Star Wars well also. I'm very happy to finally see a continunation of the series, wasn't expecting that till Lucas passed away, so yay for Disney. Since TOR is set in a completely different timeline, I can't imagine the new movies will have much effect on it.

As a big fan of both franchises, the first thing I thought when I saw Star Trek is that he managed to make it more like Star Wars as far as action and pace, two areas where previous ST movies have disappointed me. I think he will do well and I am particularly excited to see that Lawrence Kasdan has been brought on board to advise. He wrote the screenplay for Empire Strikes Back which many of us consider the pinnacle of SW movies. :D

• 1 month later...

So it seems Lucas pre-emptively ensured a bit of control over the direction of the new movies before he sold the franchise to Disney accrording to the new story from BloombergBusinessweek.

Had to figure he wouldn't just put his baby up for adoption without some assurances, but up until now there were no details.

..very shrewd Mr. Lucas

Edited by Hardwear