The 45 Year and Older Professional Club

Master-Pappy

Every once in a while it dawns on me that I am teaming with folks that weren't even born when I bought the socks I am wearing. I know this as I often team with my three sons. As a 47 year-old professional who leads a multi-million dollar project for a large corporation, I am sure that many of my co-workers would be shocked if they knew that when I get home I log on to SWTOR and pretend that I am a Master Jedi for 2-3 hours. Not that it bothers me. It keeps me young in mind and heart.

It got me to thinking, "How many others out there are like me?" I'm sure I'm not the oldest player out there. So, if you fall into the geriatric crowd within SWTOR, give a shout out with your age and profession. It will be cool to know who is out there.

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a silly amount of personal detail: I'm married, in my late 30's and I'm in house councel for a well know multinational.

We are out here, like you. We generally are not on general chat or what have you. i'm in a guild full of people I know from the real world so I interact mostly with them. but we're populated with teachers and MD's and PhD's and college profs, senior level IT professionals the list goes on.

Every once in a while it dawns on me that I am teaming with folks that weren't even born when I bought the socks I am wearing. I know this as I often team with my three sons. As a 47 year-old professional who leads a multi-million dollar project for a large corporation, I am sure that many of my co-workers would be shocked if they knew that when I get home I log on to SWTOR and pretend that I am a Master Jedi for 2-3 hours. Not that it bothers me. It keeps me young in mind and heart.

It got me to thinking, "How many others out there are like me?" I'm sure I'm not the oldest player out there. So, if you fall into the geriatric crowd within SWTOR, give a shout out with your age and profession. It will be cool to know who is out there.

43 years old here! Business Operations Quality Manager for a major Japanese Outsourcing and Services company. Have to agree, there nothing like relaxing with your Jedi robes after a hard day crunching the keys to keep the country running. :)

My 15 year old also plays TOR and we came over from SWG where we played together for 5 years with friends from our Guild.

Well now, geriatric may be a little too far, but I am a 44 (45 in 4 months, do I still apply?) year old male who is a professional SYSadmin for 13 years now.

I have played (and I am still playing) WoW and now, SWTOR.

Yes, I was there when the first movie came out in 1977. Went to see it at the theater when it came out.

I do know that many younger folk are playing and that is good, they can learn from us sometimes. Some will scorn and sneer at our comments and suggestions and that is fine too. We could not teach them anything if we tried. in real life or virtually and they are the ones who will suffer in the long run. "Those who know not history are condemned to repeat it"

I just pooped in a bag and through it through your window. Good luck.

Not even old enough to spell correctly.

44 here, and CTO of a medium sized company. I've been playing MMO's for 15 years. Sadly, we now get to play with the WoW generation of gear check gamers that can't accomplish anything on their own merit.

48 here - own my own company and log on to be squashed regularly as a Republic Trooper and Jedi Knight. Great thread - nice to know that some Star Wars originals are around me who stood in line for the premier of New Hope.

47 is considered Geriatric!??!?

/checks pulse

I am 40+, Animation Director, but in this industry I am in, it would not surprise any of my coWorkers to know( and they do know!) that I play MMO's.

:D

Edited by WelbyWars

37, 2 kids, spouse, SW Developer. We're out there. It is a bit more common in my field. Always a little surpised when I find out one of our VPs or Directors is playing an MMO. Tough to talk about though, because of the opinions that people can have. I do find it is more accepted these days. I'm guilded up with some RL friends in the same age group. Some professers, astro physicists, IT guys like me...etc..

Tough to talk about though, because of the opinions that people can have. I do find it is more accepted these days. I'm guilded up with some RL friends in the same age group. Some professers, astro physicists, IT guys like me...etc..

Agreed. It's a weak analogy but i am just not ready to "come out" as a gamer at work.

I have tour shirts older than the vast majority of the player base. This is not a joke or exaggeration, I STILL have a tour Jersey for Megadeth from a little club from their 1983/84 tour. It's ragged, it's thread bare, dang near see through it's so thin now, and, no it doesn't fit anymore, but I still have it in a frame on my wall in my gaming room.

I predate home computers. I predate console systems. I predate CDROM games and CD's. I predate Cartridge games. I predate VHS. I dang near predate Cassettes and 8 Tracks. Most the people here won't know what an 8 track is since Wiki is down for the day, and definitely won't know why they sucked as a medium for music.