Reminder: Datamining and Fallen Empire Discussion

EricMusco

I have already answered this question if you read my previous post . My continued sub is based on what they officially do with companions ...... i also stated I m perfectly fine waiting till October to find out if need be.

For the record i investied alot of money into swtor ..in fact i have spend more cc credits and comms customizing kira than i have myself

I have also bought custom gear for all my other companions. so yea I speaking form a "investor" as well.

I've actually done the same thing with Vette, Jaesa and some of my other most valued companions, so I'm right there with you as far as companions are concerned.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think we should know more in these weeks to come rather than have to resort to hunting for scraps of information. Others, like you, feel otherwise. Neither the twain shall meet, I guess...and maybe that's just as well.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Major changes to how the game plays today should be communicated so as to not waste players' time. If crafting is totally changing, then I may choose not to level up the last crafting skill I don't have at this time. If the skills are not changing and it is still beneficial to have them all maxed out, then I may choose to spend some time finishing it off. You can't tell me that 2 months out, they don't have the basic outline of new game mechanics. It's the difference between "we may remove some crafting skills" and "we're taking Cybertech out of the game".

But we know we'll be the Outlander, so it's ok I guess.

Your argument is unfortunately not valid. Previously you did not need to be subscribed to get the expansion. So if you want to continue your argument, you can tell people that this expansion is $5 less as it's $15 to sub for a month and previous expansions were $20.

It is in fact valid as the point remains you had to pay extra for the expansions on top of your subscription fee. Where as here You don't have to pay anything extra at all, thus making it free.

Makeb was 20 Dollars for F2P/Preferred and 10 Dollars for Subscribers because Subscribers got a discount for for being a subscriber.

SOR Was 20 Dollars for F2P/Preferred and Subscribers all across the board because reasons.

KOTFE is 0$ Because it's free.

Again it's a free expansion because you are not paying anything extra if you are a subscriber.

In the case of the crafting changes in particular the information I am asking for stops being about a "new product" but rather a radical change to an existing and well-defined game system. Crafting is a major part of this game, and maybe you won't agree with me but making 20 or 30 existing types of crafting materials obsolete without any official warning is a crappy thing to do. If BW simply had a yellow post on these forums warning us ahead of time "Hey guys, here are some crafting materials we are phasing out etc..." there would be no need for data mining. Had there been no leak about the removed materials at the launch of 4.0 top crafters would have had their large stockpiles of mats instantly made worthless. At least knowing ahead of time gives us a chance to sell them on the GTN and avoid the pittance we would have made from vendors if we had stuck with Bioware's plan.

The same goes for the newly obtained information that prefab components will be a new intermediate in armor and modification production. This is something crafters would need to know ahead of time before it sticks a monkey wrench in our production lines. This has little to do with anything new with 4.0 but rather just Bioware messing with an established system without warning.

I craft a great deal and sell many items on the AH. I get what you are saying. You want advance info so you can get a jump on the system. Cool beans. Would love to have it as well. We will get it when we get it. But you are wanting to make sure you give yourself as much of an advantage as possible. perhaps Bioware is trying to avoid that. Now to top tier mats being worthless, you don't really believe that do you. A conversion will always take place if mats are removed. But I have not seen anything about mats being removed. Just about how they are collected.

Again, you are asking for advance look. And I am not trying to stop you. Ask away. But I am sure bioware has a schedule and unless you talk them into a new one, that is what it is going to be.....no use getting all worked up.

It is in fact valid as the point remains you had to pay extra for the expansions on top of your subscription fee. Where as here You don't have to pay anything extra at all, thus making it free.

Makeb was 20 Dollars for F2P/Preferred and 10 Dollars for Subscribers because Subscribers got a discount for for being a subscriber.

SOR Was 20 Dollars for F2P/Preferred and Subscribers all across the board because reasons.

KOTFE is 0$ Because it's free.

Again it's a free expansion because you are not paying anything extra if you are a subscriber.

There is a large difference between free and at no additional cost. You are simply getting more for your money than you were previously. Unfortunately, this expansion will cost you anywhere from $15-$150 depending on if you are willing to get content later than everyone else.

Remember with SoR and RotHC, it was a one time fee for all of the content. Now it's $15 per month and if you stop at any time, you do not get any content not already released.

I can take or leave datamined stuff.

But I don't blame Bioware for trying to censor it. There are just so many variables involved! What if

the Datamined data is inaccurate or misread? Context is huge. What if they decide NOT to use it?

People are freaking out saying it's 2 and 1/2 months before the new expansion hits, but that is a long time

for changes to be made. What if the stat change thing causes too big of problems and gets scrapped? But

because it was datamined by curious people, it's now gospel.

Case and point? I seem to recall a WZ design being datamined for SOR. They put it out there that we were getting

a new WZ and that it was "all but finished" according to datamined sources. Guess what didn't make release?

And besides, what are you going to do with that data 2 and a 1/2 months before release? Delete all your gear pending a stats change? Maybe collect all the datacrons? Freak out and wring your hands on the forums calling it NGE?

There is a large difference between free and at no additional cost. You are simply getting more for your money than you were previously. Unfortunately, this expansion will cost you anywhere from $15-$150 depending on if you are willing to get content later than everyone else.

Remember with SoR and RotHC, it was a one time fee for all of the content. Now it's $15 per month and if you stop at any time, you do not get any content not already released.

False, they said if you unsubscribe and then come back at a later date, you automatically get all the content that has been released at that point.

So example: If subscribe until expansion release and after release decide you wish to unsubscribe, and then re-subscribe at a later date after several new chapters have been released, you will get access to the those chapters. If you don't resubscribe, you won't get access to them otherwise.

All of it free, just for subscribing.

Hey folks,

Over the last few days we have seen an increase in posts and discussion around unreleased Knights of the Fallen Empire information. I thought it best to remind everyone that discussion of datamining, datamined information, or any other unreleased KotFE information is distinctly against our forum rules.

We take posts and discussions around this very seriously. Any threads/posts like this will be removed and action can, and will, be taken against your account. I believe this got a little out of hand while we were in Germany and our moderators are working to clean it up now.

If you see any posts or threads which you believe contain unreleased or datamined information, report those posts immediately.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-eric

Translation:

We don't care about the community.

Really this is a pretty poor approach to the situation. Maybe if you were more open with us we wouldn't be looking towards data mining. Also, you should be looking at this entire thing as a positive and take feedback on how players feel about the found changes, ya know, like good developers do. I've played other MMO's that even have developers pop into data mined threads and contribute to the post and started asking questions on what they could do differently. Shame you guys don't take the same approach. "my way or the highway" right guys?

False, they said if you unsubscribe and then come back at a later date, you automatically get all the content that has been released at that point.

So example: If subscribe until expansion release and after release decide you wish to unsubscribe, and then re-subscribe at a later date after several new chapters have been released, you will get access to the those chapters. If you don't resubscribe, you won't get access to them otherwise.

All of it free, just for subscribing.

You're talking free again, when you mean at no additional cost. If subscribing were free, then the expansion would be free. And my statment was entirely true. If you stop subscribing, but keep playing, you will not get any of the expanion content that is released until you subscribe again. You could wait until July and get it all for $15. Or you could play it as released and pay $150. But previous expansions were $20 and all content was included until the next expansion whether you remained subbed or not. That is why this expansion is not free as you have to pay a subscription in order to get the content at no additional cost. But that subscription does not unlock all content unless you choose to wait and subscribe in July when all chapters are out.

With less than two months to launch... I think the point some people are trying to make is that there are a LOT of things happening in this game that will make what we are doing, RIGHT NOW... TODAY... worthless. We'd like to know what we might as well quit wasting our time on. Edited by LJ_Gibbs

Translation:

We don't care about the community.

Really this is a pretty poor approach to the situation. Maybe if you were more open with us we wouldn't be looking towards data mining. Also, you should be looking at this entire thing as a positive and take feedback on how players feel about the found changes, ya know, like good developers do. I've played other MMO's that even have developers pop into data mined threads and contribute to the post and started asking questions on what they could do differently. Shame you guys don't take the same approach. "my way or the highway" right guys?

Yeah, it's not the smartest move to make, really. Getting haughty about the datamining posts seems "too little, too late" at this point. The cat's out of the bag already. Even if you wipe these forums clean of any datamining discussions, it's just going to happen elsewhere. I would think it'd be in their best interests to keep things localized and, instead of hindering the discussion, use the opportunity to get feedback and suggestions from the players AND stop any disinformation that would otherwise be easily spread.

But, you know, whatever...we'll be the Outlander, so it's cool.

Edited by Shatterhand

Don't you have moderators, who doesn't join you on cantina trips and who isn't part of the public Community team? You probably should think about getting that if you're haven't.

Honestly I think the Community team does the moderation themselves.

With less than two months to launch... I think the point some people are trying to make is that there are a LOT of things happening in this game that will make what we are doing, RIGHT NOW... TODAY... worthless. We'd like to know what we might as well quit wasting our time on.

Yes, that is a very good way of putting it. We are not trying to get information about story content or anything new that is being added in 4.0. We just want to know about changes to things that we are doing right now. I don't get why Bioware doesn't just announce to everyone that a number of specific crafting materials are being removed from the game. If we knew now that these particular mats are redundant we wouldn't waste our time collecting them or learning crafting schematics that involve them. Another example: crafters might want to know that every class's main stat is being homogenized before they spend time now learning armor schematics that will be archived once 4.0 comes around. This is just one specific way that Bioware's blockade of information that would be relevant to us right now is not helpful.

You're talking free again, when you mean at no additional cost. If subscribing were free, then the expansion would be free. And my statment was entirely true. If you stop subscribing, but keep playing, you will not get any of the expanion content that is released until you subscribe again. You could wait until July and get it all for $15. Or you could play it as released and pay $150. But previous expansions were $20 and all content was included until the next expansion whether you remained subbed or not. That is why this expansion is not free as you have to pay a subscription in order to get the content at no additional cost. But that subscription does not unlock all content unless you choose to wait and subscribe in July when all chapters are out.

This expansion is free.

15$ or 150$ is irrelevant as players are already paying that much for the subscription fee. The expansion is free because it is a bonus perk for being a subscriber just like having the full game without any restrictions is. All of it just for being a subscriber and it's free.

Hey folks,

If you see any posts or threads which you believe contain unreleased or datamined information, report those posts immediately.

...because we don't actually read the posts and rely on you, the subscribers, to do it for us.

Edited by Banthabreeder

It's free for doing what you are doing right now.

But ceases to be free if you stop doing what you're doing now. Which is the key difference. Every other expansion you paid for was yours whether you continued subscribing or not. You didn't have to resub for Strongholds or GSF. Rishi didn't become locked if I unsubbed. But if you want chapter 10, you have to sub.

The problem lies in this. They are asking us to pay $15 a month for a single player RPG (because it is all about the story, right Outlander?) I know you can wait 6 months and subscribe and get all the content up to that point, but in reality the game is meant to be played in monthly episodes, not binges. So that means paying $15 a month for about an hour of content (after the initial 9 chapters).

But ceases to be free if you stop doing what you're doing now. Which is the key difference. Every other expansion you paid for was yours whether you continued subscribing or not. You didn't have to resub for Strongholds or GSF. Rishi didn't become locked if I unsubbed. But if you want chapter 10, you have to sub.

Like I said before it's a Subscriber Bonus for doing what you are doing now and is free.

I can take or leave datamined stuff.

But I don't blame Bioware for trying to censor it. There are just so many variables involved! What if

the Datamined data is inaccurate or misread? Context is huge. What if they decide NOT to use it?

People are freaking out saying it's 2 and 1/2 months before the new expansion hits, but that is a long time

for changes to be made. What if the stat change thing causes too big of problems and gets scrapped? But

because it was datamined by curious people, it's now gospel.

Case and point? I seem to recall a WZ design being datamined for SOR. They put it out there that we were getting

a new WZ and that it was "all but finished" according to datamined sources. Guess what didn't make release?

And besides, what are you going to do with that data 2 and a 1/2 months before release? Delete all your gear pending a stats change? Maybe collect all the datacrons? Freak out and wring your hands on the forums calling it NGE?

Then at least tell us if it is in closed testing or not. Way too many changes are happening and their track record for not messing stuff us isn't that good.