I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

TheBBP

• Server Transfers
  • More Guild Functionality
  • Massive Bug Squashing

As far as overall priorities go, these would be my top 3. These are not the top 3 things that I want personally, but instead they are the top 3 things that I think that the game could use more than SGRs.

My personal top 3 would be:

1. Mentoring
  2. Guild Ships
  3. SSSP

Ok, and why can't SGR's be done at the same time as some of those? I know, they have a finite amount of overall budget, but do you seriously think that SGR's would take a massive chunk of that budget and while it is finite you don't know how much in total or how it is divided out.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, and why can't SGR's be done at the same time as some of those? I know, they have a finite amount of overall budget, but do you seriously think that SGR's would take a massive chunk of that budget and while it is finite you don't know how much in total or how it is divided out.

At the same time would have been great. However, it did not happen that way. As far as how much is spent on what, whatever was spent on SGRs was not spent on the things that I believe would have done better for the most people.

Who mentioned Pazaak? Have you been following this thread at all?

My point still stands. You are arguing against the inclusion of sgr on the grounds that most players won't benefit from it, yet you're happy to delay makeb, knowing that most players will get the expansion, thus denying most players the benefit of everything included in makeb.

At the same time would have been great. However, it did not happen that way. As far as how much is spent on what, whatever was spent on SGRs was not spent on the things that I believe would have done better for the most people.

Considering they haven't announced everything that will be in RotHC yet, you never know.

SGR on the back burner please! i would rather see warzones,world events,flashpoints and planets first!!!

SGR's is coming along side a new World

Them spending time on SGRA's isn't why it takes a while for them to create World Events.

Uh, didn't we just get a Warzone or two? Not to mention, them adding SGRA's won't all of a sudden prevent any future Warzones. Same with Flash Points, and who knows, they may include a Flash Point or 2 in with the RotHC Expansion.

Agreed but they won't. They have given in to the vocal group of maybe 10% who want this.

Its something that has been promised from the moment it was announced, unlike the new Warzones and Ops

Whilst I applaud new content, SGR's are an equal important part of the game. BioWare is known for this and breaking the barrier with Jade Empire, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Its like a signature that you can do whatever you want and romance whoever you want.

Its something that has been promised from the moment it was announced, unlike the new Warzones and Ops

Whilst I applaud new content, SGR's are an equal important part of the game. BioWare is known for this and breaking the barrier with Jade Empire, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Its like a signature that you can do whatever you want and romance whoever you want.

Plus, new Warzones & Operations are a given that wouldn't have needed to be requested to know that they would be coming. In an MMO that has Warzones &/or Operations [or equivalents] Warzones & Operations are always going to get New ones added.

Whereas with Same Gender Romances, it actually had to be asked for as we didn't know if they were to be included when they were talking about Romances in the beginning. Then, after year or more and COUNTLESS Threads on the subject, we were finally given an answer of "Won't be in at Launch but will be a Post-Launch Feature". Now, TOR launched Dec. 2011 and between then and Spring 2013 just how many Warzones and Operations were released? And we didn't get an updated answer on SGRA's until what, late December 2012 - early January 2013?

Free flight space please and housing and or ship housing please, Sgr is in now coming, problem solved! Time to move on to what will make this game money can we please get some info on the secret space project, hood toggle would rock. You know things the majority of people want that we will all use. As far as relationships I would rather have rp tools we can use with each other, seriously after I married my companion it pretty much fizzled and was anti-climactic so don't expect it to be ground breaking so more rp implementation should be added so we can be more social with each other i.e Marriage to anyone. I think what kills the whole" you are a bigot "card is I will NEVER see your romantic story arc SO WHY DO I CARE, I truly want more stuff like open space and hood toggle. AGAIN I will NEVER see your romantic story arc period. We need to ban together and be vocal toward stuff we will all enjoy did I mention open space lol.

You really think so?

Yes considering THIS MMO has In-depth Stories, Romances, Flirts, along side staple elements common to MMO's. SGR's to some is like PvP to others. In fact, I would pose a question to those that want more Warzones, Operations, etc added before SGR's, how exactly would you feel IF you didn't get any Warzones, Operations, etc until a little over a year into the Game?

Edited by Altyrell

Free flight space please and housing and or ship housing please, Sgr is in now coming, problem solved! Time to move on to what will make this game money can we please get some info on the secret space project, hood toggle would rock. You know things the majority of people want that we will all use. As far as relationships I would rather have rp tools we can use with each other, seriously after I married my companion it pretty much fizzled and was anti-climactic so don't expect it to be ground breaking so more rp implementation should be added so we can be more social with each other i.e Marriage to anyone. I think what kills the whole" you are a bigot "card is I will NEVER see your romantic story arc SO WHY DO I CARE, I truly want more stuff like open space and hood toggle. AGAIN I will NEVER see your romantic story arc period. We need to ban together and be vocal toward stuff we will all enjoy did I mention open space lol.

Well, that's the thing :p what one person really wants in his game is what someone else feels is less needed. I am not particularly interested in open space flight. I rather see money going towards more story-content. But we will see where things ends up. They do seem to put things in the game for all of us. Ops for those who like it, WZ:s for those who enjoy that and so on. Hope that all of us will get some of the things that we want.

Well, that's the thing :p what one person really wants in his game is what someone else feels is less needed. I am not particularly interested in open space flight. I rather see money going towards more story-content. But we will see where things ends up. They do seem to put things in the game for all of us. Ops for those who like it, WZ:s for those who enjoy that and so on. Hope that all of us will get some of the things that we want.

Poll time on the open space , plus what about more rp tools toward relationships amongst each other . I am pretty sure you would change your mind with interior / exterior ship customization the whole companion story arc fades so fast and leads to nothing what so ever. People will see that ship thing will be very enjoyable.

Edited by Jiminison

I would have thought that the best thing an MMO can do is try to appeal to as many people as possible. This does not mean always pandering to what the majority wants. That leads to certain groups of players being ignored completely.

It makes much more sense to spend your resources proportionately between different content. If lots of players want new PvE endgame, then you spend a lot of time developing that. If only a few players want a feature, a clever company doesn't just write that off, but spends a proportionately smaller amount of time and resources on those customers.

This is exactly what BW is doing here. You would think, reading some posts by the nay-sayers, that BW had put all of its development on hold to keep a tiny number of players happy. This is just not true. I would even say it is a deliberate distortion of the truth on the part of some posters.

The reality is that many, many people have asked for new planets. You are now getting one. That planet happens to contain at least one gay npc. That's it. The development work which went into a couple of gay npcs is tiny in comparison to everything else contained in the expansion. Those npcs would almost certainly have been on Makeb anyway if they had not been gay. The argument that putting SGR into Makeb is a waste of development time simply does not stand up.

Retro fitting SGRs into existing companions is a different issue, but again I would argue that BW is totally justified in their approach if they choose to do this. Spend a lot of development time on the majority of players. Spend a much smaller amount of development time on a minority - but simply ignoring minority groups is wrong, short-sighted and not good business.

TLDR - Persoanaly I think BW is doing exactly the right thing when it comes to SGR. Some development time is being spent, but not much, as befits the proportion of players it effects.

Edited by Kahotep

Yes considering THIS MMO has In-depth Stories, Romances, Flirts, along side staple elements common to MMO's. SGR's to some is like PvP to others. In fact, I would pose a question to those that want more Warzones, Operations, etc added before SGR's, how exactly would you feel IF you didn't get any Warzones, Operations, etc until a little over a year into the Game?

PvE and PvP are game mechanics. They are what make or break MMOs. They are what people do at endgame.

Romance arcs, to include SGRA, are a side line in your companion stories. They are not repeatable and they are not mechanics. Comparing SGRA to PvP or any form of PvE is hyperbole at best.

This game did not go from being touted as a WoW killer (this statement coming from Blizzard as well) with well over a million subs at launch to F2P because it lacks a SGRA. The reason it did is because of a lack of engine optimization, not enough endgame PvE, poorly developed PvP, and dozens of other missing mechanics or features. There hasn't been a single AAA MMO that's died because it's lacked a SGRA. However, there have been more than a few that have killed themselves or hemorrhaged a massive amount of players due to poor development and follow-through.

Very few people are arguing against the general idea of a SGRA. Most people support or are completely indifferent to it's inclusion at some point in the future. However, that future is not the foreseeable future.

To answer your question above: if they didn't add those things, there wouldn't be a game. The same would not be true if SGRA were not added. The problem with so many examples given about SGRA is they lack perspective.

In no way is the SGRA a good (or any synonym of that word) or wise use of finite resources.

Edited by Telaan

You should have given your thread a title more befitting your actual stance.

Your title is "I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs." This says that you do not believe that homosexual romances should be included in the game. Period. If you are worried about priorities, then your title should read more like, "SGRs should take a back seat to bug fixes."

Of course, in that case, it already has. For about a year. Since Makeb is being released in Spring, they've decided to include something for a "small portion of players" (a phrase that has no meaning since you've not defined your criteria for size) to enjoy.

The fact that you personally interpret his title to mean one thing does not make it true. He clearly defines his position in both his original post and all subsequent posts.

Additionally, SGRA should continue to take a backseat until content and mechanics which draw both Star Wars fans and MMO players have been sufficiently developed and introduced.

Edited by Telaan

Nope. And that number is no way fact. I'd put the numbers at about even tbh. SWTOR is teh first to put this much emphasis on STORY and CHARACTER INTERACTIONS. That drew a ton of people away from such games as WoW and Rift and what the **** ever else.

You want PvP and PvE content? Go back to WoW.

I'm a subber. My friends are subbers. Other people I don;t know are subbers. And they like and want CONTENT. Which includes SGR.

Unfortunately your post makes very little sense.

You say you and your friends "like and want CONTENT" but that if "you want PvP and PvE content" to "go back to WoW". I'm not even sure how I can explain this problem with these statements without sounding condescending and I honestly have no intention of doing that.

Additionally, this is a MMO. A MMO is built differently than a single player RPG. BWs intention was never to make this a single player RPG with some MMO features, their intention was to make a MMO but add the RPG story telling features that lacks in so many other MMOs. What keeps MMOs alive is repeatable content; especially repeatable endgame content (ie: PvP and PvE).

Without that people will play through the existing story content one time and unsubscribe. This has already happened to a devastating degree within the game, which is why it went from the stunningly successful launch to F2P a year later. Story is wonderful. As a Star Wars nerd I love the story in this game. However, neither the game's uber plot nor the game hinges on the side line romance arcs and it never will. The idea that SGRA will do anything to alter the course of this game is false.

BW/EA should not devote a single dollar to SGRA until the things that make a MMO successful are sufficiently established enough to prevent the loss of all those players who have so far hit the cancel button and helped bring us to F2P as a result of poor MMO development.

Edited by Telaan

I am glad that somebody made this thread.

I finished companion quests more than year ago, I vaguely remember anything about it and at the moment there is no option (yet) to reset the class story. On the other hand I make few Ops and FPs per week, occassionally do Warzone and Space Missions.

Without story reset option the SGR inclusion to companion dialogues is as important as choosing the color of the water pipes in the house - paint them, seal them in concrete, never see them again. kthxbye.

That's why I sign here, I want that my few cents from sub and cartel market are added to development of the features that I will experience. SGR fans being so organized (and vocal) could always throw a dedicated fundraiser if they want to have their project prioritized over stuff that benefits everyone.

Edited by BogyOne

I am glad that somebody made this thread.

I finished companion quests more than year ago, I vaguely remember anything about it and at the moment there is no option (yet) to reset the class story. On the other hand I make few Ops and FPs per week, occassionally do Warzone and Space Missions.

Without story reset option the SGR inclusion to companion dialogues is as important as choosing the color of the water pipes in the house - paint them, seal them in concrete, never see them again. kthxbye.

That's why I sign here, I want that my few cents from sub and cartel market are added to development of the features that I will experience. SGR fans being so organized (and vocal) could always throw a dedicated fundraiser if they want to have their project prioritized over stuff that benefits everyone.

I appreciate your support, but that is not the nature of this thread. As I have stated before, the things that I personally want most out of this game have zero bearing on this. It is my stance that other more technical aspects that would affect and benefit the much bigger population as a whole should have had those resources before SGRs which only cater to a small portion of the player base.

Also, regardless of your stance on anything, to tell anyone that they should have a fundraiser to get what they want developed into the game is ridiculous.