4.0 Not being tested before release? isn't that a Bold move by BW?

RDX-TWO

Is it me or this expansion will not be tested what so ever? There's a new planet, crafting changes, new system (influence) , new story, heroic mission changes on every planet with new system and reward, level sync, new and removal of achievements, 5 extra level with new skills and balance changes ( how will we know if all these new skill will be balanced and changes to crits and surge??) and all that will be bug free on October 20th with only internal testing vetting all of these changes. This seems to be a very very bold move by bioware they could at least PTS all of the new systems except story if they are so afraid of spoiling anything. I will say I am not looking forward to the first week of release it will be a mess.

Is it me or this expansion will not be tested what so ever? There's a new planet, crafting changes, new system (influence) , new story, heroic mission changes on every planet with new system and reward, level sync, new and removal of achievements, 5 extra level with new skills and balance changes ( how will we know if all these new skill will be balanced and changes to crits and surge??) and all that will be bug free on October 20th with only internal testing vetting all of these changes. This seems to be a very very bold move by bioware they could at least PTS all of the new systems except story if they are so afraid of spoiling anything. I will say I am not looking forward to the first week of release it will be a mess.

There is a difference between internal testing and Open testing.

Open is what they do when they put it on PTS for us to play around with in this instance they likely chose to do internal testing of the expac which is how most dev teams do it with expansions.

There is a difference between internal testing and Open testing.

Open is what they do when they put it on PTS for us to play around with in this instance they likely chose to do internal testing of the expac which is how most dev teams do it with expansions.

I just look at the SOR fiasco of last year and this could painful.

Trust the force!

hmm the people who have been in the closed PTS for last few months must have just be wasting their time I guess.

There's a difference between a VIP session of cherry picked players and an actual testing and vetting process in the hands of the greater number of players. The former is a necessary step after internal testing, but by no means should it be the only step before something is released to the live servers.

There's a difference between a VIP session of cherry picked players and an actual testing and vetting process in the hands of the greater number of players. The former is a necessary step after internal testing, but by no means should it be the only step before something is released to the live servers.

And you know for a fact that is all that happened?

Exactly I understand they didn't want to spoil the story but they could of open test all the new configuration at least that would be tested and vetted some of the new implementation.

I cannot speak for "most devs", but I do know that 2.0 had both a closed and an open PTS test process.

The closed test was invite-only, and had access to Makeb and the new storyline.

But the open test had access to class changes, skill tree changes, crafting changes, old flashpoints newly upgraded to HM 55s and I believe (though I may be wrong) the upgraded TfB operation was also available for testing.

Edited by Khevar

They are relaunching the whole game as much as they can but on a budget. I have seen no game press on any of the changes if they are counting on viral marketing to launch the rebirth of the game they are in for a shock.

there is a difference between stress testing and metrics collection which may require a large sample size and thus larger numbers of players, which is usually the case when they are developing something that requires such a change.

there is another where they are making strategic changes that they want tested specifically. what exactly do you think would require either large samples or large number of players to "test"?

crafting changes are a simple 1:1 replacement and can easily be verified internally and or on PTS by small group of people to ensure schematics are correct.

scaling, again, easily tested by small group since applies to one applies to all, get a few of each class to run through class quests while a few others run through side quests, doesnt require a full server to validate those changes.

only need a group of about 8 to validate changes in operations (16 if want to validate 16man). internal testing can show just as easy if all clasess are viable.

They didn't test 3.0 - why change a habit now?

But really, this time Bioware have ZERO excuses for any game breaking bugs like when 3.0 shipped. 2015 has been barren in terms of content, server maintenance, patches so they need to nail this.

Well, endgame crafting requires mats dropped from conquests. Conquests have been confirmed to be offline for at least a month. That means that the earliest we'll get access to 4.0 endgame mats is sometime in November, leaving crafting broken until then. Oh, and they take vacation in December and January, meaning that endgame crafting might not be working until February.

That's the disaster we can see coming. Factor in the usual unexpected bugs, and I'd say that 4.0 is a 100% guaranteed cluster****, possibly big enough to kill the game permanently.

Edited by Millardkillmoore

I think it is a bold assumption that any MMO content is being tested at all these days.

Yea, and then because bugs bioware will again start banning people like it happened before.

I also think test server should be available to everyone so people can test stuff out that's why it is for - testing.

testing on new content is done privately with few select guilds/peoples from servers on the PTS it just not open to the public.

Not that is mater like all the other 2.0,3.0 4.0 bug that they would told about will hit live server before they actual accept that there is problem.

Then when there was a exploit they was told about on pts, that wasnt fixed when it went live they will make big scene about it when people exploit it, that couldnt be bother to fix before it went live

Edited by Kyuuu

testing on new content is dont private with few select guilds/peoples from servers on the PTS it just not open to the public.

Not that is mater like all the other 2.0,3.0 4.0 bug that they would told about will hit live server before they actual accept that there is problem

Yea, so the test server is useless.

They are already said about conquest freezing for a whole month, right before 2-3 months "Holidays" vacations, even with all these rare mats which are tied directly to it.

Welcome to 4.0 open beta! ;)

"Meat tree" anyone? :p