anybody learned an orange schematic through RE yet?

Almghty_gir

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically Zoeller misrepresented the whole thing. When he said "reverse engineer anything to get an orange" he actually meant "Reverse engineer any of the hideous new 1.2 campaign armors to get an orange, not even the black hole armors that use the exact same skin can be RE'd."

Frustrating I know. Was looking forward to getting my trooper in an orange version of the heavy chestguard from low levels.

NM misread the post above me. So you can't RE any orange gear other than the ugly end game stuff? What is the point of that?

I thought they were trying to make it so there was more diversity in armor and appearance. This will not help that. Am I wrong for having this impression? I guess there are a few sets that you get orange schems for from the trainer but that isn't much.

This is extremely disappointing if this is the case. The no ranked WZ is a bummer, I can deal. However the crafting changes were what I was most looking forward to in 1.2. I hope BW reconsiders this or patches if its not working as intended. Otherwise this seems like a lot of hype for very little.

Edited by herdofcaribou

• Dev Post
Hello everyone - if you can obtain a schematic through reverse engineering, you'll see a tooltip that indicates that research is available. If you see "No Research Available" on the tooltip, reverse engineering that item won't grant a schematic. Hope this clears things up a little!

Hello everyone - if you can obtain a schematic through reverse engineering, you'll see a tooltip that indicates that research is available. If you see "No Research Available" on the tooltip, reverse engineering that item won't grant a schematic. Hope this clears things up a little!

thanks! that sucks.

people wanted variety. I have been saving up tons of world drops I intended to RE (TH corpsmans set for BH- the only good looking gear)

guess that aint happening.

Where exactly is this tooltip? I've been unable to find one when starting the RE process...

I wonder this also. I was just seeing the standard "Armormech (XXX)" come up when I clicked the RE button. Nothing showed if a schematic was available or not.

If you make an item that has it (Green/Blue/some purples) and try reverse engineering, a rate should show up for you (20% or 0). It shouldn't be there on the random drops or oranges. Edited by Teykos

There were several tooltips this morning that did not contain anything additional. No "No Research Available" - just no new text at all.

One of my crafted items contained the tooltip saying there was a 10% chance, but most of the items I could RE had nothing.

Edited by Miyar

This was a huge failure of communication. The vast majority of people though you'd be able to RE any orange item that you come across to learn the schematic. What a joke this turned out to be. Hopefully this will be improved in the future.

Um...

There is not a "Research is available" or a "No Research Available" tooltip.

Um...

There is not a "Research is available" or a "No Research Available" tooltip.

That means the item didn't have any schematics in the first place. The No Research Available pops up when it had schematics and you've learned all of them.

That means the item didn't have any schematics in the first place. The No Research Available pops up when it had schematics and you've learned all of them.

Then that mod needs to edit her post because it's misleading.

Just give us a damned appearance tab Bioware! It would solve all this hassle and actually let us play OUR story the way WE want, as you kept promising pre-launch. I want to wear the Jedi Knight gear you get towards the end of Tython, but can't. Why? Because you guys have decided you won't let me do that. Appearance tab is the best and easiest solution that most other MMO's use, why try to be different when the current idea works fine?

Basically Zoeller misrepresented the whole thing. When he said "reverse engineer anything to get an orange" he actually meant "Reverse engineer any of the hideous new 1.2 campaign armors to get an orange, not even the black hole armors that use the exact same skin can be RE'd."

Frustrating I know. Was looking forward to getting my trooper in an orange version of the heavy chestguard from low levels.

What the feck???

Last nail in the coffin.

Edited by sensiblepoast

weren't we promised the ability to RE into orange for the purpose of fully customizable appearance?

Yes/no/sortof.

The actual quote said modifiable items. Later statements made it clear that they meant *new* modifiable items. (i.e. stuff from the new ops/flashpoints). They never actually *said* orange stuff. But most would (correctly, IMO) assume that modifiable stuff included the orange.

So yeah, initial statement was misleading, but was "corrected" in subsequent posts quite some time ago.

No. This does not clear anything up because it doesn't even address the OP's question. The OP's question relates solely to obtaining custom (orange) schematics.

Shortly after game launch, Bioware was addressing itemization and the issue of why Bioware decided not to include a color match system in the launch version of the game. Bioware stated there was no need for it because there was already a custom (orange) item in the game to match every premium (green) item. I can only speak for myself and my experience is that this was a misrepresentation. There are four items I've been trying to find custom versions of since game launch and so far I've had no luck. These items don't even show up in item databases on Torhead or other data mining websites, so I'm convinced they are not in the game.

Then during the guild summit, Bioware indicated that with 1.2, many, if not most, items in the game would yield a custom schematic from reverse engineering. I stuck around because of this. Apparently, from the patch notes, this is also turning out to be a misrepresentation.

Bioware, when we find a piece of gear that we like the look of, no matter how low level that piece of gear is, we want to be able to keep that look and not have to discard it a couple levels later after out leveling it. We want to be able to obtain a custom version of that item

without having to search high and low for it when we don't even know for sure whether it exists in the game or not. Therefore, we want to be able to obtain the custom skin from reverse engineering the non-custom item. What part of this don't you understand?

thanks! that sucks.

people wanted variety. I have been saving up tons of world drops I intended to RE (TH corpsmans set for BH- the only good looking gear)

guess that aint happening.

We have added a number of orange appearance schematics to the system through mission discoveries.