Deception or Madness

DARKLORDLS

I've newly created an Assassin for PvE and was wondering which spec I should be focusing on learning to do the most DPS the class can dish out. Anyone have any advice on which spec would be better? Right now I'm playing as Deception and love how fun it is and how it plays but in order o continue running the class in NiM EC/HM TFB I need to be able to pull close to the same numbers as the rest of my guildies. Any advice?

I'm not a PvE player but the information I have about assassin dps is: Go deception for pvp and madness for pve

I know in a pve situation madness>deception and a pvp situation deception>madness.

However, there is some hybrid dps build used in pvp and those might be good for pve too. The builds are 0/27/14 and 0/17/23 or 2/17/21. I'm not sure about the part in red

Stick with what fits for you, madness can pull a lot more dps in longer fights, but it's a lot harder to learn than deception. My recommendation is to start out with deception as a main spec, but practice madness if you think it's interesting. Change specs when you learn via parse that you do more dps with madness.

Stick with what fits for you, madness can pull a lot more dps in longer fights, but it's a lot harder to learn than deception. My recommendation is to start out with deception as a main spec, but practice madness if you think it's interesting. Change specs when you learn via parse that you do more dps with madness.

I disagree, because madness is a harder spec, I'd say do that and learn it now. It's far simplier at early levels to learn a spec piece by piece. Hit a new level, add this mechanic. At level 50, it's tough. I tried to change my spec to madness, but all the dots (lightning charge, creeping terror and crushing darkness)+the procs (Raze, Exploit weakness and unearthed knowledge) as well as managing only 100 force was a bit much for me.

Maybe I got greedy having both exploit weakness and unearthed knowledge, since I hear the build is good without either, but it was too much for me to watch.

personally i say play what you like i can play madness decently not as good as deception but it's to annoying and not as fun as deception for me so i only play deception after i learned madness pretty decently didn't even try to learn it on the level i know deception because just didn't like it a smuch. So try out both specs for a week or so and play what you like best Edited by Zaxem

For me it's a total bind. I prefer Madness play style in PVE due to the awesome DPS you can get on boss fights. It's also fun to watch bosses melt half way through the fight. Monitoring dots isn't that hard as long as you can track your raze proc.

If you can learn how to tie your dot(s) timing to your raze proc, keeping your dots applied isn't a problem and you are able to use shock more strategically.

In PVP, Deception has too much going for it. You have 3 Dark embrace cycles available making you very tough and allowing you to be less concerned with force consumption. You have a better stealth. Burst DPS is totally insane "when geared and done correctly".

Deception is a tad more boring to play and lets face it, Maul is kinda buggy, sooooooo, if you are not able to plant it in time, your DPS takes a hit. In PVE raids and overall questing, this kinda sucks and makes me less inclined to play the spec; even though I can play it well.

Deception is a tad more boring to play and lets face it, Maul is kinda buggy, sooooooo, if you are not able to plant it in time, your DPS takes a hit. In PVE raids and overall questing, this kinda sucks and makes me less inclined to play the spec; even though I can play it well.

in your opinion it is more boring to play i'm actually the opposite i find madness boring and deception fun