sugestions for sabers

arcticwinter

has anyone given any thought to sabers? this is supposed to be the height of saber usage and yet we have so few styles to chose from. There are so many that u read about, for example 2 handed sabers, darth nihl's saber quarter staff, light whips, and so many others. it would be nice if we could have access to some of them. it would also be nice to see you guys stop taking things away. i play this game cause im a huge fan of the star wars universe, and each time u remove stuff u make it that much a duller place to be

I might actually play a force sensitive if I could choose to just use Makashi or Djem So; the only two saber forms I know that are actually practical and based on real technique.

Of course, i'm sure there are others but the majority of the saber arts seem to be pure choreography with fluff built around it, instead of the other way around.

I might actually play a force sensitive if I could choose to just use Makashi or Djem So; the only two saber forms I know that are actually practical and based on real technique.

Of course, i'm sure there are others but the majority of the saber arts seem to be pure choreography with fluff built around it, instead of the other way around.

You actually can use Form V as a Vigilance/Vengeance spec.

Waiting for Kel Dor to make a Plo Koon-esque Jedi Knight lol. :)

You actually can use Form V as a Vigilance/Vengeance spec.

Waiting for Kel Dor to make a Plo Koon-esque Jedi Knight lol. :)

I have a rather strong feeling it wont be done justice but i'll definitely keep that in mind when I eventually play the force sensitive, thankyou.

I just find it goofy whenever I see a knight spin around and stab behind him or anything of the like; let alone full forward flips.

I have a rather strong feeling it wont be done justice but i'll definitely keep that in mind when I eventually play the force sensitive, thankyou.

I just find it goofy whenever I see a knight spin around and stab behind him or anything of the like; let alone full forward flips.

I agree. I kinda wish the animations for attacks would change based on the form you are using. Would have taken more time to make, but the immersion effect would have been increased significantly.

I agree. I kinda wish the animations for attacks would change based on the form you are using. Would have taken more time to make, but the immersion effect would have been increased significantly.

Well, I almost don't blame them. I've been told the styles I like are 'boring', but then these are the same people that think realistic swordsmanship is dull. People, especially current Star Wars fans, love their flashy silly choreography. I'm just an old stuck up grump who can help but think "Look at all this wasted movement".

When I discovered Makashi, which for all intents and purposes actually seems to be based off of the premise of having a fencing-like realistic duelling style in the lore, I was ecstatic. It's a shame you almost never see it used. I like Djem So because, as I understand it, it is the style Vader uses in the original trilogy. Which despite being 'slower' and 'duller' is actually very proper; you can tell watching it that they brought in people to teach the actors the right footwork and blade control.

To each their own, i'm rambling now. Basically, if I could use Makashi i'd main whatever class used it regardless of what side they were on.

EDIT: By the way, just found out the Makashi salute http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928230528/starwars/images/thumb/7/70/MakashiMovesManeuversTJP.JPG/250px-MakashiMovesManeuversTJP.JPG is just a regular fencing salute. Kinda backs up my theory.

Edited by LegendaryBlade

Well, I almost don't blame them. I've been told the styles I like are 'boring', but then these are the same people that think realistic swordsmanship is dull. People, especially current Star Wars fans, love their flashy silly choreography. I'm just an old stuck up grump who can help but think "Look at all this wasted movement".

When I discovered Makashi, which for all intents and purposes actually seems to be based off of the premise of having a fencing-like realistic duelling style in the lore, I was ecstatic. It's a shame you almost never see it used. I like Djem So because, as I understand it, it is the style Vader uses in the original trilogy. Which despite being 'slower' and 'duller' is actually very proper; you can tell watching it that they brought in people to teach the actors the right footwork and blade control.

To each their own, i'm rambling now. Basically, if I could use Makashi i'd main whatever class used it regardless of what side they were on.

EDIT: By the way, just found out the Makashi salute http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110928230528/starwars/images/thumb/7/70/MakashiMovesManeuversTJP.JPG/250px-MakashiMovesManeuversTJP.JPG is just a regular fencing salute. Kinda backs up my theory.

Totally agree. I like the movements of the PT, but they aren't realistic for the real world. Now when we add in the Force and the advantages that gives then we see why they move like that.

But that doesn't explain why Luke and Vader weren't flipping around and such. Probably the limitations of the times and the fact that George wanted lightsabers to be heavy.

I believe Mark Hamill actually trained in Kendo(probably spelled wrong) for his fight scenes. I personally would love to have a character use Makashi as I did some fencing back in the day.

Totally agree. I like the movements of the PT, but they aren't realistic for the real world. Now when we add in the Force and the advantages that gives then we see why they move like that.

But that doesn't explain why Luke and Vader weren't flipping around and such. Probably the limitations of the times and the fact that George wanted lightsabers to be heavy.

I believe Mark Hamill actually trained in Kendo(probably spelled wrong) for his fight scenes. I personally would love to have a character use Makashi as I did some fencing back in the day.

Lore wise, they explained the lack of silly flips by the fact Vader used a very reactionary power-house version of Djem So because his cybernetics were too heavy for him to use his old style. Proper, realistic styles do exist in the Star Wars canon but are less used than their more 'exciting' counterparts. In all fairness to the talented writers out there, I know a lot of them have put a lot of effort in to explaining the rhyme and reason behind the crazier styles.

The reason for the styles and the fact they use a melee weapon in the first place is, supposedly, because the force gives them the ability to sense and feel what's going to happen a moment before it does. It's a sort of future sight that kind of makes it moot that they waste a whole lot of movement. Still, if I had this ability to feel and sense the force that would only encourage me more-so to use proper technique.

I think Kendo makes a lot of sense for the kind of weapon the lightsaber is, since kendo emphasis single strike and then move on; and, now that you mention it, I can see a lot of that in how they fought in the original trilogy. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of that kind of fighting in SW's future.

Edited by LegendaryBlade