General Crew Skill Error when supposed to get schematic when REing

SWGguy

so the level 9 greens u can craft..when I RE them I keep getting General Crew Skill Error in red lettering and no schematic...it happens only when I am supposed to receive the schematic it seems..the items say 20% and when I look I do not have the blue schematic for them...is there a reason for this? or a fix? idk if it is jus Armstech tho

so the level 9 greens u can craft..when I RE them I keep getting General Crew Skill Error in red lettering and no schematic...it happens only when I am supposed to receive the schematic it seems..the items say 20% and when I look I do not have the blue schematic for them...is there a reason for this? or a fix? idk if it is jus Armstech tho

The reason is simple...you are trying to RE "archived" stuff which is no longer REable for schematics period, end of discussion. Yes the tooltip might still say 20% chance but it does not work. Anything off the trainer now should be blue and REable to purple.

The reason is simple...you are trying to RE "archived" stuff which is no longer REable for schematics period, end of discussion. Yes the tooltip might still say 20% chance but it does not work. Anything off the trainer now should be blue and REable to purple.

And the chance to get a schematic will be 60%

Exactly. save your effort, time and mats. - But TBH you would've though that a tidy-up and change the 10% to a "no research available" would be the least they could do for all this old stuff.

Apathy: Wide a wake and almost- working at a studio near you. :)

Edited by Storm-Cutter

• 5 months later...

ok, decent answer, but WHY are they not "REable"? did the devs just simply remove that data tree or system?

AND WHY, for God's sake, did they NOT just change the marker or data in that item so that it NO LONGER SAYS 20% RE-able? HOW HARD is that to do? Just CHANGE them - a simple database update would fix all of that and it would not even take but a few minutes to be done.

I would like devs to take away the "20% chance to reverse engineer" flag off of those items so that we do not even try, IF we want a schematic that obviously no longer exists... smh

ok, decent answer, but WHY are they not "REable"? did the devs just simply remove that data tree or system?

Pretty much that's exactly why. It's a simple oversight on their part, and one they should have caught before releasing 4.0.

In a sense, though, unless you're looking for a cosmetic pattern (e.g. you like the look of crystal X or armour Y or orange-shell weapon Z), schematics in the Archive section aren't worth crafting, whether for RE or for use. No matter how you measure them, they are obsolete for "gameplay" purposes outside of Fashion Wars of the Old Republic:

* Stats compared to modern gear of the same "requires-level": inferior

* Stats per mats spent to make them compared to modern gear: inferior

* RE chance: less (20% versus 60% or 100%) *and* the RE doesn't yield anything.

So they are obsolete, expensive, and RE-broken. Just ignore them unless you like the look.

But the fact that they are obsolete *also* means that the bug, while real, is very minor, and seriously low priority. 4.0 shouldn't have been released with that (and that smells of poor QA), but there are lots and lots of bugs in the game that are more impactful - client crashes, "trapped" characters that can't be loaded, texture visuals that affect everybody, even new players, and so on. Something that only affects people who craft an obsolete schematic and RE from it, *and* doesn't affect new players at all (they don't have any Archive schematics) just isn't going to make the cut for a change-test-qa cycle.(1)

(1) That cycle is rather more than "a few minutes". It follows the "you touched it, you broke it" principle. Until someone tests the thing you changed (crafting and REing from *any* schematic, including items that were crafted before 4.0 or after 4.0 but before the change), it's considered broken and shouldn't be shipped.

Do you want them to spend that time fixing and verifying this or fixing client crashes, cinematics that hang, PvP class balance, boss mechanics that don't work, etc.?