Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Three Questions re: Annihilation/Watchman priorities

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Warrior > Marauder
Three Questions re: Annihilation/Watchman priorities

Satedbuffalo
03.25.2013 , 03:00 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
It will. Annihilate changes the entire feel and priority system of the class.
Yeah, picked it up over the weekend and my playstyle has dramatically changed. Still a little in love.

And thank you for your other responses; they are largely confirmations on what I'm seeing on dummies and in the field, but it's helpful to have my instincts reinforced.

Omophorus
03.25.2013 , 03:13 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Satedbuffalo View Post
Yeah, picked it up over the weekend and my playstyle has dramatically changed. Still a little in love.

And thank you for your other responses; they are largely confirmations on what I'm seeing on dummies and in the field, but it's helpful to have my instincts reinforced.
Annihilation is a very fun spec. It's not ideally suited for all content and the lengthy ramp-up to peak DPS can be infuriating, but it has a nice rhythm to it and a consistency that's a little harder on Carnage and Rage.

It's not excessively onerous to account for the strengths and weaknesses of the spec when it comes to boss fight strategies (and there are only a few instances where it is nigh-on impossible to keep Annihilator rolling regardless of your best efforts), but it can definitely be a bit frustrating when trash-clearing with more movement than actual fighting.

The neat thing about 2.0 is that the core "feel" of both Carnage and Annihilation is preserved, so you have two very viable options... one with a more rhythmic feel (which builds to peak DPS) and one with a frantic, highly chaotic feel (that can throw up huge clumps of damage more or less at the drop of a hat). It's fun to play with both, as they have their own strengths and very different play styles, and it's easy to have a love affair that's more of a menage e trois.
Srs'bsns, Conquerer of the Dread Fortress
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"
<Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk

verfallen
03.26.2013 , 10:00 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by oofalong View Post
Just to clarify on how Deadly Saber works:

The charge lasts for 15s which means you have 15s to activate 3 melee attacks or the charge disappears. Most of our abilities constitute melee attacks and a charge can only be applied once every GCD. Thus, abilities having multiple hits, like Assault, will still only consume 1 charge.

Next, the internal damage lasts no more than 6s and is triggered no more frequently than once every 1.5s. This effectively means we only get 3 ticks out of the ability.

The XXX internal damage is the total of internal damage of 1 charge of Deadly Saber or 3 ticks of it. Thus, our base bleed damage is actually 1/3 of the tooltip amount. (Incidentally, this is the same base bleed damage as Rupture.)

The tooltip ability does not expressly state that the existing stack is refreshed each time another charge is applied, but it is. This basically means you can extend the existing charge by adding another one.

Assuming you attack every GCD, this ability should do 12x your base bleed damage - One tick @ 1 stack, one tick @ 2 stacks, and 3 ticks @ 3 stacks. This is 6 ticks approximately every 1.5s for a total duration of ~9s.

Plus, any one of these ticks can crit which effectively causes 2X the damage due to our surge and the +30% surge from bleedout.
The 1,5 sec in the tooltip is not the ticking rate but the rate limit to apply the bleed (reason why Ravage applies 2 ticks and not 3, as 2nd hit is too close to the first one.

The log you posted after also shows a 2nd tick 2 sec after if I read it correctly.

Gorband
03.27.2013 , 08:10 AM | #14
I found that using Berserk when it comes up leads to a better overall dps increase vs. saving it for 3x Deadly stack, which in most cases will have a rupture burning with it. Also, using force type abilities outside of priority rotation abilities will lower your overall dps not to mention causing yourself to be rage starved You could always "cook" your Deadly charges when changing targets which is handy for Hurry/Stop type fights such as Firebrand & Stormcaller, which allows you to run about 8-9 ticks of 3x stack Deadly on a target.

NOTE: You're not able to "cook" Deadly Saber in X-Pac according to how it was working in PTS. The development team had adjusted the refresh lockouts for different casts of Deadly Saber. Example: You have 3x stack of Deadly Saber debuff on target, /cast Deadly Saber, and attempt to refresh the stack which unfortunately doesn't stack until the debuff wears off completely.
SuckaFish Officer - Empire (The Bastion)
55 MR: Gorband | 55 OP: Kyuubandi | 55 PT: Boltbandi
50 SC: Golband | 50 ST: Kaibandi | 50 CD: Kurama

oofalong
03.27.2013 , 09:38 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
The 1,5 sec in the tooltip is not the ticking rate but the rate limit to apply the bleed (reason why Ravage applies 2 ticks and not 3, as 2nd hit is too close to the first one.

The log you posted after also shows a 2nd tick 2 sec after if I read it correctly.
@ Verfallen - Deadly Saber ticks more frequently than once every 2s. Here is an excerpt from another log. It is not the best example, but you can still see there are ticks more frequent than every 2s. Interestingly, there is even a tick less than 1.5s apart. The second tab shows excerpts from a different combat log, and it shows the total duration of Deadly Saber. This is much more illuminating data. It shows 36 samples of Deadly Saber. On average the total duration is 9.5s, with the shortest being around 9.1s. During this there are 5 ticks of Deadly Saber - 1 tick @ 1 stacks, 1 tick @ 2 stacks and 3 ticks @ 3 stacks.

I think we have covered all of the important points of Deadly Saber now, right?
Prophecy of the Five Are you Committed to SWTOR?
Read my Theorycrafting Articles on Dulfy.net
Confused by all of the Proc Relics? Read my new and improved relic explanation.
See the best of the best on the Operations Leaderboards
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
You are correct Oofalong.