Any Actual females not female characters play this game?

Jesterhexes

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i had this problem when i ployed lotro that i could never find any girls that played the game, i mean my entire guild on lotro are boys, the entire guild on here are boys... is there no other girl on the face of the planet that plays swtor on my server (Telos Restoration Project) I feel so alone... not to mention that boys who have girl characters are kinda weird... on lotro i had a male character and i had to delete him because it was to weird lol...a not that i care but its kinda dissapointed when you think your talking to a girl and it turns out tht the person behind the character is a dude,,nywayz just wondering, no need to get in a hater mood i was just asking

I am a guy and i play as a guy,what does that make me >.<

My main toon in WoW was a male and several times I was specifically asked to say something in vent to prove I was a girl.

I have a couple male toons that I enjoy playing in SWTOR. My main is female this time, but I chose the largest body size so I'm not very attractive! ha!

XD yeah i know how they get with vent.

My main is still a pretty human. Cause, I still like to play dress up sometimes :D getting all the good looking robes in the game for my inquisitor. :)):p

OK, this is a frequent topic of discussion because a lot of people in MMORPGs do it, and a lot of people find the behavior bizarre (and before you ask, yes, there are women who play male characters in these games). This disconnect arises from two different groups of people who see the game very differently. I happen to be in a position to understand this just because I am the odd case that takes both sets of views.

The difference comes down to how we identify (or don't identify) with the avatars.

When I play a single player game, I feel no particular connection to the avatar. The character is just a character on the screen, like a character in a TV show. the way I see it, if I'm going to look at the backside of an avatar for dozens of hours, I might as well look at the backside of a woman rather than a man.

If I am playing a MMORPG, then things change. In an MMORPG, I feel a connection of identity to the avatar, because to me the avatar is a representation of me in a social space. In a MMORPG, playing a female character feels too much like cross-dressing. What is perfectly normal for me in a single player game becomes something bizarre and freaky.

I should mention one big exception for me. For some reason I love rerolling low level characters in MMORPGs. No idea why. When I do this, I sometimes see the avatar the way I do in single player games since it's just a throwaway character I delete shortly after leaving the newbie area. If nothing else, it gives me an opportunity to check out things I would not otherwise notice without actually playing a female character (verbal or animation components of obscure emotes, etc.). Yeah, I know. Weird. For me these throwaway characters are a way of exploring race-class combos, different character customization options, race-specific emotes, etc., and yeah, gender-specific things too.

Anyway, some women do in fact play male characters. Some do it because they get sick of the creepy and unwanted "flirtation" that comes their way from socially stunted nerds of all ages, while others do it for the same reasons I play female characters in single player games: they do not have a connection of identity to the avatar and they would rather stare at a male posterior for hours on end.