Melee DPS in HM OPS Unwanted.

I just recently came back to the game and I noticed tons of hate for Melee DPS. Joined a guild and I hear MDPS being being verbally trashed 24/7. The only class resembling MDPS that is not hated is AP Powertech and they are more of a mid ranged DPS. Guilds recruiting are almost ALL looking for more ranged DPS and never MDPS.

From what I hear the HM OPS are so unfriendly towards MDPS that having any amount of MDPS is a handicap for the raid. This means, Assassins, Operatives, Marauders and Jugs are basicly banned from HM content in any serious progression guild?

Has anything been said anywhere about making MDPS viable in HM OPS?

I just recently came back to the game and I noticed tons of hate for Melee DPS. Joined a guild and I hear MDPS being being verbally trashed 24/7. The only class resembling MDPS that is not hated is AP Powertech and they are more of a mid ranged DPS. Guilds recruiting are almost ALL looking for more ranged DPS and never MDPS.

From what I hear the HM OPS are so unfriendly towards MDPS that having any amount of MDPS is a handicap for the raid. This means, Assassins, Operatives, Marauders and Jugs are basicly banned from HM content in any serious progression guild?

Well the most melee unfriendly fight in the game is HM Torque - and in that fight, Jugg DPS is king. Its melee unfriendly because of a number of the adds, but every one of them is prone to saber reflect - and they don't do big hits, but rather hundreds of little ones - so saber reflect obliterates them in about 1 second.

Other than that, the only other fight that is melee unfriendly would probably be Underlurker, and thats because of a combination of the slows and the adds having a melee attack. Revan is just unfriendly to non-troopers so we can't use him as an example...

Of course, these are just a couple of examples. Ranged definitely makes it easier, but that doesn't stop my raid group for running at least 2 melee DPS (granted i'm one of them...), and we have up to 4 melees that usually run in it (2 VGs, 1 Jugg, 1 Sent) - though we typically don't run all of them at the same time...

Edited by TACeMossie

My raid group is 7/10 hm and runs two melee dps, an assassin and an operative. The assassin did 4.7k on our first HM Torque kill. The thing is that ranged dps is easier, but not necessarily better. It's just harder to not die while maintaining dps as a melee than as a ranged. Also, don't use saber reflect on adds. Stand in the fire and saber reflect that. Moar deeps. :rak_01:

My raid group is 7/10 hm and runs two melee dps, an assassin and an operative. The assassin did 4.7k on our first HM Torque kill. The thing is that ranged dps is easier, but not necessarily better. It's just harder to not die while maintaining dps as a melee than as a ranged. Also, don't use saber reflect on adds. Stand in the fire and saber reflect that. Moar deeps. :rak_01:

hey... fire droids are adds...

There has been talk of increasing melee DPS ability to on par with ranged with new fights. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that. Still, melee are viable for all the HM fights of the new tier.

There has been talk of increasing melee DPS ability to on par with ranged with new fights. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that. Still, melee are viable for all the HM fights of the new tier.

Just reducing some of the melee-unfriendly mechanics would do without having to increase DPS and thus require rebalancing. For example, with Torque, it makes more sense that the area immediately next to the boss is the one place that's immune to fire -- after all, why would that wookie want to burn himself?

Just reducing some of the melee-unfriendly mechanics would do without having to increase DPS and thus require rebalancing. For example, with Torque, it makes more sense that the area immediately next to the boss is the one place that's immune to fire -- after all, why would that wookie want to burn himself?

Well, it's not like the fire comes randomly. On HMs it's no shame to use a tool like Parsec or Starparse to be able to set timers for when the fire comes. Melees (including tanks) leaving to different directions just a second before and you barely even notice fire damage.

It isn't that its a nec. HATE for mDPS, as it is a requirement of a higher level of skill which seems to be lacking since all the faceroll ops days are now over (which I like). One has to get in and get out with frequency and not die to standing in "stupid"

Coupled with the natural inclination of the average player (IMHO) to stand in "stupid" in order to hit the "DPS they have to do" they die easily therefore typically you look for advantages and ways to make things easier for everyone, especially healers which leads to an increased request for ranged dps. Factor in that ranged DPS is in a really good place right now, it isn't surprising.

I don't think ranged DPS is any less difficult either, to be truthful, you still have to put the work, if you are capable, it wont be a problem. Just getting the chance to prove it make take some time due to "perception" much like mine above.

Start an Ops group and get r done! :)

It is not a hate but the "LFM OPS only ranged dps" is more common now then before.

That might be because they already have 1 or 2 mDPS in group, or have a good player they want to fill the slot. I can say I have pugged both new ones, and the first bosses with groups saying that and none were 4 ranged.... but I do see the "perception"

It was the same back when it was 2 Sents/Maras and 2 Sniper/Slingers it was hard to get in as a Merc/Mando... it works in waves.

As more people clear the content because they get better, not being able to just farm ults and use HIGH endurance to faceroll stuff it will ease up, and I imagine soon it will be back to seeing 2-3 per day at least for Shadowlands (where I am)

It is not a hate but the "LFM OPS only ranged dps" is more common now then before.

pug sm raid?

i usually look at achivment. i see to many amfull rdd and many good mdd.

much better take 44k mdd in full dread master (with timerun achivents) then 52k rdd with 5%ops achiv.

P.S. He rerolled from mara to merc ...

Edited by Snean